What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Some #culinaryexploits: Kohlrabi-Fennel-Lemon Risotto with Seabass and a Weingut STIFT GV DAC Reserve Maximos.

https://www.winzerhof-stift.at/

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks very inviting!  Reminds, me, I need to keep an eye on my fennel....starting to grow to a decent-size (harvested one bulb already).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 30, 2020, 11:43:35 PM

Some #culinaryexploits: Kohlrabi-Fennel-Lemon Risotto with Seabass and a Weingut STIFT GV DAC Reserve Maximos.

Beautiful! We love fennel and kohlrabi.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SurprisedByBeauty

Grilled fillet of sea bream (the rest of the fish is perfect for fish stock) and basil/white wine foam with fennel & sage buttered salt potatoes & green beans à la Banducci. (DC: 2nd & F, NE, for any Washingtonian who remembers!)

A trio of pasta(s):

red beet-cream-curry-kasuri mehti
zucchini-lemon-chevre-basil
cauliflower-orange-gorgonzola-rosemary

SurprisedByBeauty

Buljol & coconut bake.

Saturday breakfast.

SurprisedByBeauty

Simple summer pasta with tomaters, porcini, and a dollop of ricotta. Oh, and lots of garden herbs (basil, oregano, sage, parsley).

Pohjolas Daughter

I see that you've been cooking up a storm!  :)  That pasta dish looks particularly inviting.  Do you blanche and peel your tomatoes and then chop then up?

Today or tomorrow I will be finishing making a tart that I love.  It's pretty easy, but oh so tasty.  I found it a number of years ago in a cookbook.  You make a simple buttery tart (including some fresh herb of your choice), let chill, roll out and place into a tart pan with a removable bottom.  Sprinkle some crumbled goat cheese over it; add sliced tomatoes (about 3 medium that you've put on a plate and blotted the seeds and a lot of the gel out of first).  Drizzle a touch of olive oil over the top, add s & p and bake!  Yum!  Thank you Mr. Bishop for that great recipe...so tasty plus it transports nicely (like to a picnic outside waiting for the live music to begin).  :)

And I'll serve it with a nice leafy green salad.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pleased to report that my friend really enjoyed the tomato and goat cheese tart (finished making it over at his house).  He's a pretty picky eater--not adventurous at all regarding trying new things.  I also made a simple light leafy green salad to go with it dressed with a sherry/mustard vinaigrette.  Had some leftover dough, so I made two small tarts:  first one was another tomato one; the second, I used a mandoline to thinly slice (lengthwise) some green zucchini and sprinkled them with a bit of salt and left on a plate next to the tomatoes to draw out some of the moisture as I was concerned that the tart shell would get too soggy.  Baked them in my toaster oven and was pleased with how they came out!  :)

Had the zucchini one with some more salad for lunch today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2020, 10:06:26 AM
I see that you've been cooking up a storm!  :)  That pasta dish looks particularly inviting.  Do you blanche and peel your tomatoes and then chop then up?

Oh, how fancy do you think I am? Neither blanched nor peeled. Chopped into medium cubes and off into the pan with garlic they go. :-)

QuoteToday or tomorrow I will be finishing making a tart that I love.  It's pretty easy, but oh so tasty.  I found it a number of years ago in a cookbook.  You make a simple buttery tart (including some fresh herb of your choice), let chill, roll out and place into a tart pan with a removable bottom.  Sprinkle some crumbled goat cheese over it; add sliced tomatoes (about 3 medium that you've put on a plate and blotted the seeds and a lot of the gel out of first).  Drizzle a touch of olive oil over the top, add s & p and bake!  Yum!  Thank you Mr. Bishop for that great recipe...so tasty plus it transports nicely (like to a picnic outside waiting for the live music to begin).  :)

If I knew how to make a "simple buttery tart", I might be tempted. Perhaps a good reason to get into that.

Meanwhile:

Anglo-French Lunch w/Minute Steak w/touch of Dijon mustard, salad, pan-fries, & C-on-the-C.
And a light, young Pinot Noir to moisten the palate...

And a glitzy lunch: A little duo of tartare (salmon-tuna-trout-wasabi-cucumber; beef-mustard-greens-shallots-quail-egg) and bruschette along w/a #Polz Winzersekt "M". A moving-in welcome!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on August 26, 2020, 01:43:49 AM
Oh, how fancy do you think I am? Neither blanched nor peeled. Chopped into medium cubes and off into the pan with garlic they go. :-)

If I knew how to make a "simple buttery tart", I might be tempted. Perhaps a good reason to get into that.

Meanwhile:

Anglo-French Lunch w/Minute Steak w/touch of Dijon mustard, salad, pan-fries, & C-on-the-C.
And a light, young Pinot Noir to moisten the palate...

Another tasty-looking meal!  :)  And 'tis the season for corn on the cob!

And a glitzy lunch: A little duo of tartare (salmon-tuna-trout-wasabi-cucumber; beef-mustard-greens-shallots-quail-egg) and bruschette along w/a #Polz Winzersekt "M". A moving-in welcome!

Regarding pastry:  do you own a food processor?  If so, it's pretty quick work (though I must admit, washing the bowl, blade, etc. of the food processor isn't my favorite part of it). If not, you can do it by hand using either a pastry blender, two forks, or a couple of diner knives.  Tips:  keep everything as cold as possible (butter barely thawed from the freezer), nice cold ice-water.  Work quickly and handle the dough as little as possible.  Also, let the dough chill in the fridge well-wrapped for at least a couple of hours before rolling it out.  Here's his (Jack Bishop's) recipe for the tart.  Note:  I have a 9-inch fluted metal tart pan with a removable bottom.  He calls for a 10-inch.  I find that I have enough dough left over for two small tarts (about 5 inches across).  Mine are a combo of a cheesecake/bundt pan (again with removable bottoms--springform type with higher sides.  I just don't push the tart dough that high up).  I use the leftover scraps for these two.  Also, I dump/scrape the dough mixture that's in the food processor out onto a piece of waxed paper.  I don't really knead it, just quickly form it into a ball/flat disc.  The reason, by the way, for working quickly and having cold ingredients is to keep the dough flakey.   :)

Personally, I like the rosemary taste to be a bit more pronounced.  Last time I put in a scant tablespoon of fresh, chopped rosemary.

https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2005/MAY/30392.html

Let me know if you try it.   :)

Best wishes,

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Just finished brunch at my favorite coffee shop. Excellent ham/mushroom/cheese omelet, with toast and some geat coffee.

Not fancy, but then neither am l.

Sated,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 15, 2020, 12:02:55 PM
Just finished brunch at my favorite coffee shop. Excellent ham/mushroom/cheese omelet, with toast and some geat coffee.

Not fancy, but then neither am l.

Sated,

LKB
Hey, I enjoy all kinds of food!  :)  Sounds lovely!  What kind of cheese did you add (if you remember)?  I make omelets pretty regularly around here.  You can get 'fancy' or not so fancy...doesn't matter if you enjoy it.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Trying a new recipe today:  carnitas!  Which I don't recall ever having before, but the recipe sounded nice....and also relatively easy.  I had seen an episode on t.v. which intrigued me, but decided that it had way too many ingredients, too much garlic, etc., so I started googling and found this.

https://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

If I had been better organized (and not feeling lazy yesterday afternoon/evening) I would have prepped for it, but I didn't so at 8 a.m. this morning I was out in the kitchen.  It's now in my slow cooker (starting it out on high so I won't be eating dinner late-late).  Looking forward to trying it.  I haven't made pulled pork before (any kind), but I do love it!  Supposedly, it also freezes well and can be used in various dishes and had a number of very good reviews, so fingers are crossed!   :)

So, what have the rest of you been cooking or eating lately?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

toledobass

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: toledobass on October 28, 2020, 03:57:24 PM
Carne asada burrito.  8)
So, did you make it yourself?  Either way, what was in it?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

toledobass

From one of the local taquerias! (I am in Santa Cruz, Ca and am lucky to have access to some wonderful tacos and burritos!)

I got the "regular" which has your choice of meat with with rice, beans and salsa. I added cheese.

The "super" would have all of that plus lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole.

:)

Allan

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: toledobass on October 30, 2020, 01:33:07 PM
From one of the local taquerias! (I am in Santa Cruz, Ca and am lucky to have access to some wonderful tacos and burritos!)

I got the "regular" which has your choice of meat with with rice, beans and salsa. I added cheese.

The "super" would have all of that plus lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole.

:)

Allan
Hi Allan!

Neat!  You're in a great area to get Mexican food.   :)  Plus new takes on the trads.  I'm envious of you. :)

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Carlo Gesualdo

Austherity German food choukrouten marinated,  mushroom marinated and spinache for the last 3 days, it's not so bad trust me it is , since I was F word by a pre paid vanilla card that was hack and spend.

Carlo Gesualdo

Cheese st-yr fried zucchini white cheddar Know what I am doing won't reveal this  recipe of Austerity Italy but you betcha it's good  :P

Carlo Gesualdo

Paté Chinois miam  :P