Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 517396 times)

Lilas Pastia

Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #920 on: January 05, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
O Mensch, were those genuine black truffles  :o ?

Tonight we ate tacos, which means only the shells were bought. Everything else was off the oven or fridge. we love those help-yourself meals!  And my daughter made a scrumptious schwarzwalder kirschtorten cake for dessert :D.

Although this one is from a wiki article, it looked just like this.

Right now, munching kashkaval with a nice 10 yearl old Port wine  0:)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #921 on: January 05, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
....... And my daughter made a scrumptious schwarzwalder kirschtorten cake for dessert :D.
Right now, munching kashkaval with a nice 10 yearl old Port wine  0:)

Andre - hope that you didn't eat that LARGE dessert!  ;) ;D  A smaller image attached - looks delicious, BTW -   :D  Dave

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #922 on: January 05, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Thanks! I didn't know how to make it smaller. But somehow the closeup detail looked sooooo lifelike ! :D Mensch ! You can almost taste those schokolade molecules!!

Aus Schwarzwald:

I was there a couple of years ago but, truth to tell, I didn't find much to impress my senses. Too much like home!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:39:10 PM by Lilas Pastia »

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #923 on: January 05, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
O Mensch, were those genuine black truffles  :o ?

Thin slices thereof, yes.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #924 on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
Just returned from our annual jaunt to the Fearrington Inn & House - we do an 'overnight' package this time of the year for my wife's birthday, which includes afternoon tea, dinner (of course not the wine or tip), and breakfast - one of the few 5* restaurants in North Carolina, and just 90 mins away - south of Chapel Hill & just north of Pittsboro, so other activities in the area, if desired!

The restaurant is in the pic below (historic landmark site); the small inn is off to the left, but the entire property is a major village, mainly for retirement + shops, including a bookstore near the inn; also famous locally for its collection of 'banded' Galloway cows (plus, banded goats!)

But main highlight for us is the dinner - MENU HERE; changes often, but the one linked is the present one - we shared the celery soup (nice & warm on a chilly evening & a great start); both had the crab salad, which included a little (too little!) paddlefish caviar & a hard boiled quail egg - delightful; main courses - wife chose the duck entre & I had the NC drum fish (shown below - the state fish!); shared the cheese plate for dessert (a varied assortment of about a half dozen); wines - a couple of glasses of Adelsheim Pinot Gris for me w/ the dinner, and dessert wine w/ the cheese (French Sauternes & Austrian Riesling) - another pleasant outing to the Fearrington House!

M forever

« Reply #925 on: January 19, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

That fish looks really pissed. Well, I guess so would any of us if we got eaten.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #926 on: January 19, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »
That fish looks really pissed. Well, I guess so would any of us if we got eaten.

M - LOL!  ;D  Don't believe it was the one I had for dinner! Below a pic of another one who doesn't look much happier (left); maybe Nemo would be a better choice -  ;) :D   Dave

M forever

« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
Nemo is not a good role model for you. Below the happy appearance, there lies a deeply tormented soul. I found the scenes we had to watch on TV following his recent DUI arrest quite disturbing, the way he broke down in public and made a big scene in front of the court house. I guess it is really hard to handle sudden fame and money at that young age.

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
    • Tonic Blotter
« Reply #928 on: January 19, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
Just made duck leg confit with brussels sprouts. Yum.

longears

« Reply #929 on: January 19, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »

Not the finest I've ever had, but pretty good for a nukrowave meal.

George

« Reply #930 on: January 19, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Chicken Breast

Corn Bread

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #931 on: January 19, 2008, 05:44:43 PM »
Chicken Breast

End of an era?  :o :o

Went to Rice earlier today. A restaurant specializing, well, in rice. Had some Lebanese (with vermicelli) and green rice with Ratatouille and green tea.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #932 on: January 19, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
Well, as reported back a few posts ago, just returned from a wonderful dinner @ the Fearrrington House in North Carolina - was not expecting much for dinner, but a few days ago (and to my suggestion), my wife cooked up a large pot of Bolognese sauce from a recipe in Lidia's Cookbook - meat suggested was beef/pork, but we substituted buffalo meat (trying to avoid beef) - served w/ gnocchi (whole wheat/sweet potato) - boy, that was GOOD!  Fortunately, made enough for a second meal - the dish went well w/ a Chilean Merlot made by Concha  y Toro - will add a light salad next time!   ;D

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #933 on: January 19, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
Just made duck leg confit with brussels sprouts. Yum.

Yeah man, that's what I'm talking about, did you make the confit? 

Allan

uffeviking

« Reply #934 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:31 PM »
, but we substituted buffalo meat (trying to avoid beef) -

I tried that, not what I expected. The meat was very coarse and dry and the finished sauce was dark red. Now I have at least six servings in my freezer and no interest in eating it.  I think I'll go back to beef, our excellent organic Angus beef product.

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #935 on: January 19, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
Jshared the cheese plate for dessert (a varied assortment of about a half dozen); wines - a couple of glasses of Adelsheim Pinot Gris for me w/ the dinner, and dessert wine w/ the cheese (French Sauternes & Austrian Riesling) - another pleasant outing to the Fearrington House!

Real French Sauternes? Man, this is so expensive here  :P. One of my goals in life is to drink a Chateau Yquem in full regalia: bring on the foie gras, duck confit, cheese soufflĂ© ! A 1787 Yquem sells for almost 80000 euros. I should be content with a 2001, the most recent great vintage: at 400 euros, and selling by the case (12 bottles), I'd better wait for my wife to be vacationing away :o.

M forever

« Reply #936 on: January 20, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »
80000 Euro? Seriously, is it worth that much money? Can you still drink it?

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #937 on: January 20, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »
That seems to be a bargain compared to this :o or this. According to Berry this 2001 vintage can age a century. So, to answer your question: no. I'd feel an unsurmountable inferiority complex drinking it. I think it's beyond most mortals' capacity of appreciation.

Lilas Pastia

« Reply #938 on: January 20, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
Yesterday night before going to bed, a late snack of bleu d'Auvergne. wiki appropriately describes its taste: buttery and pungent. Not as strong and imposing as a roquefort, it's excellent all by itself. I'd never drink a red with that though (unless it's a sweet one).

M forever

« Reply #939 on: January 20, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »
I am not a gourmet, but I like that kind of cheese, too! And I like to eat it with grapes.