What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

O Mensch, were those genuine black truffles  :o ?

Tonight we ate tacos, which means only the shells were bought. Everything else was off the oven or fridge. we love those help-yourself meals!  And my daughter made a scrumptious schwarzwalder kirschtorten cake for dessert :D.

Although this one is from a wiki article, it looked just like this.

Right now, munching kashkaval with a nice 10 yearl old Port wine  0:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 05, 2008, 03:40:55 PM
....... And my daughter made a scrumptious schwarzwalder kirschtorten cake for dessert :D.
Right now, munching kashkaval with a nice 10 yearl old Port wine  0:)

Andre - hope that you didn't eat that LARGE dessert!  ;) ;D  A smaller image attached - looks delicious, BTW -   :D  Dave

Lilas Pastia

Thanks! I didn't know how to make it smaller. But somehow the closeup detail looked sooooo lifelike ! :D Mensch ! You can almost taste those schokolade molecules!!

Aus Schwarzwald:

I was there a couple of years ago but, truth to tell, I didn't find much to impress my senses. Too much like home!

MishaK

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 05, 2008, 03:40:55 PM
O Mensch, were those genuine black truffles  :o ?

Thin slices thereof, yes.

SonicMan46

Just returned from our annual jaunt to the Fearrington Inn & House - we do an 'overnight' package this time of the year for my wife's birthday, which includes afternoon tea, dinner (of course not the wine or tip), and breakfast - one of the few 5* restaurants in North Carolina, and just 90 mins away - south of Chapel Hill & just north of Pittsboro, so other activities in the area, if desired!

The restaurant is in the pic below (historic landmark site); the small inn is off to the left, but the entire property is a major village, mainly for retirement + shops, including a bookstore near the inn; also famous locally for its collection of 'banded' Galloway cows (plus, banded goats!)

But main highlight for us is the dinner - MENU HERE; changes often, but the one linked is the present one - we shared the celery soup (nice & warm on a chilly evening & a great start); both had the crab salad, which included a little (too little!) paddlefish caviar & a hard boiled quail egg - delightful; main courses - wife chose the duck entre & I had the NC drum fish (shown below - the state fish!); shared the cheese plate for dessert (a varied assortment of about a half dozen); wines - a couple of glasses of Adelsheim Pinot Gris for me w/ the dinner, and dessert wine w/ the cheese (French Sauternes & Austrian Riesling) - another pleasant outing to the Fearrington House!

M forever

Quote from: SonicMan on January 19, 2008, 11:00:57 AM

That fish looks really pissed. Well, I guess so would any of us if we got eaten.

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on January 19, 2008, 12:01:23 PM
That fish looks really pissed. Well, I guess so would any of us if we got eaten.

M - LOL!  ;D  Don't believe it was the one I had for dinner! Below a pic of another one who doesn't look much happier (left); maybe Nemo would be a better choice -  ;) :D   Dave

M forever

Nemo is not a good role model for you. Below the happy appearance, there lies a deeply tormented soul. I found the scenes we had to watch on TV following his recent DUI arrest quite disturbing, the way he broke down in public and made a big scene in front of the court house. I guess it is really hard to handle sudden fame and money at that young age.

MishaK

Just made duck leg confit with brussels sprouts. Yum.

longears

Not the finest I've ever had, but pretty good for a nukrowave meal.

George

orbital

Quote from: George on January 19, 2008, 04:37:36 PM
Chicken Breast

End of an era?  :o :o

Went to Rice earlier today. A restaurant specializing, well, in rice. Had some Lebanese (with vermicelli) and green rice with Ratatouille and green tea.

SonicMan46

Well, as reported back a few posts ago, just returned from a wonderful dinner @ the Fearrrington House in North Carolina - was not expecting much for dinner, but a few days ago (and to my suggestion), my wife cooked up a large pot of Bolognese sauce from a recipe in Lidia's Cookbook - meat suggested was beef/pork, but we substituted buffalo meat (trying to avoid beef) - served w/ gnocchi (whole wheat/sweet potato) - boy, that was GOOD!  Fortunately, made enough for a second meal - the dish went well w/ a Chilean Merlot made by Concha  y Toro - will add a light salad next time!   ;D

toledobass

Quote from: O Mensch on January 19, 2008, 02:18:04 PM
Just made duck leg confit with brussels sprouts. Yum.

Yeah man, that's what I'm talking about, did you make the confit? 

Allan

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on January 19, 2008, 05:03:21 PM
, but we substituted buffalo meat (trying to avoid beef) -

I tried that, not what I expected. The meat was very coarse and dry and the finished sauce was dark red. Now I have at least six servings in my freezer and no interest in eating it.  I think I'll go back to beef, our excellent organic Angus beef product.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: SonicMan on January 19, 2008, 11:00:57 AM
Jshared the cheese plate for dessert (a varied assortment of about a half dozen); wines - a couple of glasses of Adelsheim Pinot Gris for me w/ the dinner, and dessert wine w/ the cheese (French Sauternes & Austrian Riesling) - another pleasant outing to the Fearrington House!

Real French Sauternes? Man, this is so expensive here  :P. One of my goals in life is to drink a Chateau Yquem in full regalia: bring on the foie gras, duck confit, cheese soufflĂ© ! A 1787 Yquem sells for almost 80000 euros. I should be content with a 2001, the most recent great vintage: at 400 euros, and selling by the case (12 bottles), I'd better wait for my wife to be vacationing away :o.

M forever

80000 Euro? Seriously, is it worth that much money? Can you still drink it?

Lilas Pastia

That seems to be a bargain compared to this :o or this. According to Berry this 2001 vintage can age a century. So, to answer your question: no. I'd feel an unsurmountable inferiority complex drinking it. I think it's beyond most mortals' capacity of appreciation.

Lilas Pastia

Yesterday night before going to bed, a late snack of bleu d'Auvergne. wiki appropriately describes its taste: buttery and pungent. Not as strong and imposing as a roquefort, it's excellent all by itself. I'd never drink a red with that though (unless it's a sweet one).

M forever

I am not a gourmet, but I like that kind of cheese, too! And I like to eat it with grapes.