What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Organic Brown Rice (so damn hard to cook without scorching!)

Raw Almonds

Organic Cashew Ginger Carrot Soup 

Mmmmmmmmmm.

uffeviking

Next time you are at your Deli, see if they have Cambozola, a German import; it's like a blend of Camembert and Gorgonzola, 40% saturated fat, and it's delicious with a fresh pear.  :D

Lilas Pastia

Blue cheeses are perfect with a ripe pear or fresh figs. I thought cambozola was italian  :o . I know it well and like it, as well as the gorgonzola, but when it's all said and done, nothing beats the King of cheeses.  8)

uffeviking

Tsk, tsk, tsk, André, Cambozola is Bavarian! With a perfectly cooled Washington State Chateau Ste. Michelle Liebfraumilch makes it a perfect late evening snack; like a sophisticated, elaborated Betthupferle!  ;D

longears

Quote from: George on January 20, 2008, 05:29:12 PM
Organic Brown Rice (so damn hard to cook without scorching!)
If you don't have a gas stove that you can turn down to a very low simmer, then you just have to adjust the water-to-rice ratio until it's right for your setup, George. 

George

Quote from: longears on January 21, 2008, 04:45:36 AM
If you don't have a gas stove that you can turn down to a very low simmer, then you just have to adjust the water-to-rice ratio until it's right for your setup, George. 

I do have a gas stove.  :-[

Does the size of the pot matter? Is wider better or worse?

If I still have problems, is more water better?

Novi

Quote from: George on January 21, 2008, 05:27:15 AM

Get an electric rice cooker, George. They kick ass :).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

orbital

I don't cook brown rice, but for white rice, the ratio that I use is 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice (and some olive oil of course). You should leave it on medium heat, and  turn it down to a simmer and cover immediately when you see the water boiling. I actually take it down an extra notch below simmer (the fire is barely visible) and let it cook for 15-20 minutes adding a few dropf of water here and then. But on the other hand I like it  when the rice at the very bottom turns a little brown and crunchy.
And from my experience, wider is not better.

Do you cook Quinoa? It is fast becoming my favorite grain of them all.

(poco) Sforzando

I would use a heavy pot, not too wide, and add a little butter or olive oil. If you have too little water, that could result in scorching too - especially as brown rice needs more time to cook than white or basmati. The usual proportions are 1 part rice to 2 parts water, but less water makes a firmer rice and more water a softer one. You could also turn the heat off at the point the rice is nearly done, and leave it covered for 5-10 minutes. It will continue to cook and absorb remaining water from the retained heat, with less risk of scorching.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

George

Quote from: Novitiate on January 21, 2008, 05:43:56 AM
Get an electric rice cooker, George. They kick ass :).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need to do that. I've heard they are great!

George

Quote from: orbital on January 21, 2008, 05:48:30 AM
I don't cook brown rice, but for white rice, the ratio that I use is 1.5 cups of water for every cup of rice (and some olive oil of course). You should leave it on medium heat, and  turn it down to a simmer and cover immediately when you see the water boiling. I actually take it down an extra notch below simmer (the fire is barely visible) and let it cook for 15-20 minutes adding a few dropf of water here and then. But on the other hand I like it  when the rice at the very bottom turns a little brown and crunchy.
And from my experience, wider is not better.

Thanks!

Do you cook Quinoa? It is fast becoming my favorite grain of them all.

No, but I plan to. Amaranth is the best grain IMO, healthwise. If you combine it with another grain like rice, it has more protein per pound than meat.  :o

(I coul;d be wrong, but it's something like that) 

orbital

Quote from: George on January 21, 2008, 08:57:35 AM
Thanks!

No, but I plan to. Amaranth is the best grain IMO, healthwise. If you combine it with another grain like rice, it has more protein per pound than meat.  :o

(I coul;d be wrong, but it's something like that) 
I have to try Amaranth too. . They look very similar actually.I  wonder if they are both from the same family.

What I particularly like about Quinoa, except for the nutritional value, is the texture of the germs that separate from the grain when you cook them. They are crunchy  :D I sometimes add quinoa to homemade soups, it cooks with the soup and enhances both the flavor and the  goodness.

George

Quote from: orbital on January 21, 2008, 09:39:41 AM
I have to try Amaranth too. . They look very similar actually.I  wonder if they are both from the same family.

What I particularly like about Quinoa, except for the nutritional value, is the texture of the germs that separate from the grain when you cook them. They are crunchy  :D I sometimes add quinoa to homemade soups, it cooks with the soup and enhances both the flavor and the  goodness.

Mmmmmm.  :)

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: uffeviking on January 20, 2008, 07:52:52 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk, André, Cambozola is Bavarian! With a perfectly cooled Washington State Chateau Ste. Michelle Liebfraumilch makes it a perfect late evening snack; like a sophisticated, elaborated Betthupferle!  ;D

Lis, I'm fraid that nectar is not available here :P. How about an alsatian riesling? or an ice cider?

SonicMan46

Well, a couple of nice nights of eating!  ;D

Last night, out at our local mountain bistro - special was 'grilled ostrich' which I had medium rare - prepared similar to the venison that I've ordered often - delicious - just w/ side dishes of veggies (asparagus & spinach) - couple of glasses of New Zealand Pinot Noir:)

Tonight was my wife's birthday - willing to take her out again, but she wanted some simple shellfish; so, out shopping today & brought back some fresh clams - steamed as an appetizer - and 'live' lobsters, again steamed for 12 minutes + a nice salad & a little white wine (tonight - Kunde '06 Sauvignon Blanc) - delicious & simple to make -  :D

toledobass

Making a broccoli and cheddar quiche.  Also planning some more sirarcha chicken wings for tomorrow.

Allan

George

12tone.

BorisG

Roast beef and baked potato.

George