What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

uffeviking

How did you get into my freezer, Orbital? Last summer I froze a number of the sweetest blackberries and now when I thaw out some for a lovely easy dessert, they look just like the ones in your photo, not mushy at all. With two feet of snow outside and the temperature in the single digits, those berries make it summer again!

M forever

orbital

Quote from: uffeviking on January 21, 2008, 06:53:32 PM
How did you get into my freezer, Orbital? Last summer I froze a number of the sweetest blackberries and now when I thaw out some for a lovely easy dessert, they look just like the ones in your photo, not mushy at all. With two feet of snow outside and the temperature in the single digits, those berries make it summer again!
For us who cannot have handpicked berries, greenhouse grown ones will have to do  :-\  They still taste pretty good though.

I'd normally shake those two in a blender with some fat free yogurt for a delicious drink, but we were out of yogurt.

longears

Mmm, mmm, good--and good for you, too!

George

Quote from: longears on January 22, 2008, 05:26:05 AM

Mmm, mmm, good--and good for you, too!

I stock those every day. They sell like crack.

toledobass

"Imagine the street value of this stuff" George says to himself as he places yet another box on the shelf.

George

Quote from: toledobass on January 22, 2008, 07:50:46 AM
"Imagine the street value of this stuff" George says to himself as he places yet another box on the shelf.

...and ten into his locker.  ;D

MishaK

Quote from: toledobass on January 19, 2008, 07:13:35 PM
Yeah man, that's what I'm talking about, did you make the confit? 

Yes. We bought two ducks for Christmas/New Year's. The breasts were served lightly seared in Ponzu sauce with pickled wasabi for New Year's for our friends who came over (see earlier post), my wife made pate from the livers (which was surprisingly easy) and we made confit from the legs, which we ate on two separate occasions (used Thomas Keller's recipe from the Bouchon cook book). We made duck broth with the bones etc. Still have some leftover duck fat as well.

M forever

Do you sometimes just inhale a cheeseburger or do you always eat that yuppie food?

toledobass

Quote from: O Mensch on January 22, 2008, 09:12:51 AM
Yes. We bought two ducks for Christmas/New Year's. The breasts were served lightly seared in Ponzu sauce with pickled wasabi for New Year's for our friends who came over (see earlier post), my wife made pate from the livers (which was surprisingly easy) and we made confit from the legs, which we ate on two separate occasions (used Thomas Keller's recipe from the Bouchon cook book). We made duck broth with the bones etc. Still have some leftover duck fat as well.

That green salt he uses is such a brilliant idea.  So it sounds like you rendered enough fat off of the 2 ducks you bought even without the fat from the breasts.  Or did you already have some fat on hand?  What kind of ducks were they? 

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on January 22, 2008, 09:19:38 AM
Do you sometimes just inhale a cheeseburger or do you always eat that yuppie food?

Pate and confit, yuppie food??

Allan

MishaK

Quote from: M forever on January 22, 2008, 09:19:38 AM

Yuppies don't usually have this much time to invest in cooking. They might order such things at a restaurant, provided there is a hefty price tag attached that will make them feel "special" and "important" for being able to afford such fancy food. But yuppies rarely get their fingers dirty by taking apart a whole duck.  ;)  I will eat a burger, if I know where the meat came from and how it was fed. But for quick and simple, we usually just have bread and cheese or rice with kimchi or a noodle soup or some such thing.

Quote from: toledobass on January 22, 2008, 10:31:31 AM
That green salt he uses is such a brilliant idea.  So it sounds like you rendered enough fat off of the 2 ducks you bought even without the fat from the breasts.  Or did you already have some fat on hand?  What kind of ducks were they? 

Oh, there was plenty of fat just from the animals themselves. There is a ton of fat in the neck area which was still attached to the animal when we got it. I already made one round of duck fat french fries and still have a small bowl of fat left. They were Muscovy ducks, IIRC. My wife bought them from a trusted organic farmer. The green salt is great. But I did unfortunately forget the confit in the fridge for a bit longer than the recommended 24hrs, so it was indeed a bit too salty, but tasty nonetheless.  :-[

M forever

Don

Quote from: O Mensch on January 22, 2008, 12:21:56 PM
Yuppies don't usually have this much time to invest in cooking. They might order such things at a restaurant, provided there is a hefty price tag attached that will make them feel "special" and "important" for being able to afford such fancy food. But yuppies rarely get their fingers dirty by taking apart a whole duck.  ;)  I will eat a burger, if I know where the meat came from and how it was fed.

Where would you buy a burger and be sure where it came from and how it was fed?  Personally, I have zero interest in that information.  What does concern me is the health (mental and physical) of the folks who make the food.  The stuff in those runny noses must go somewhere.

MishaK

Quote from: M forever on January 22, 2008, 12:43:47 PM
Green salt?

Salt and spices processed in a food processor. You rub it on the duck legs and leave that in the fridge for 24 hrs. Then you rinse off the green salt and slow cook the duck at low heat in the oven for ten hours. After that you put the duck legs in a dish and fill the dish with duck fat so that it covers the duck legs and you put it back in the fridge to congeal. Voilà le confit de canard. It can sit in the fridge like that for weeks, or even months if you remove the meat juices. Then when you want to use it you warm it until you can remove the legs from the fat without damaging them and you prepare them whichever way suits you.

Quote from: Don on January 22, 2008, 12:49:41 PM
Where would you buy a burger and be sure where it came from and how it was fed?  Personally, I have zero interest in that information.  What does concern me is the health (mental and physical) of the folks who make the food.  The stuff in those runny noses must go somewhere.

You could get chopped beef from a trusted organic farmer and make the burger yourself, or go to a place that uses such meat. There is a bar/grill nearby here that uses beef from a source i trust, but I haven't tried their burgers yet. I'm not that much of a burger kind of guy. I'd rather just have a good simple pasta or pizza if I go out. The runny noses are less of a health concern provided they cook the burger properly. The bigger issue is the hormones and antiboitics fed to corn-fed non-organic cattle.

Don

Quote from: O Mensch on January 22, 2008, 12:55:20 PM

You could get chopped beef from a trusted organic farmer and make the burger yourself, or go to a place that uses such meat. There is a bar/grill nearby here that uses beef from a source i trust, but I haven't tried their burgers yet. I'm not that much of a burger kind of guy. I'd rather just have a good simple pasta or pizza if I go out. The runny noses are less of a health concern provided they cook the burger properly. The bigger issue is the hormones and antiboitics fed to corn-fed non-organic cattle.

So, you wouldn't mind a 'snot burger' as long as the cooking time is sufficient?

M forever

Salt and spices processed in a food processor. You rub it on the duck legs and leave that in the fridge for 24 hrs. Then you rinse off the green salt and slow cook the duck at low heat in the oven for ten hours. After that you put the duck legs in a dish and fill the dish with duck fat so that it covers the duck legs and you put it back in the fridge to congeal. Voilà le confit de canard. It can sit in the fridge like that for weeks, or even months if you remove the meat juices. Then when you want to use it you warm it until you can remove the legs from the fat without damaging them and you prepare them whichever way suits you.

Why don't you just deep fry the whole thing. Duck à la Kentucky - Kenducky!

You could get chopped beef from a trusted organic farmer and make the burger yourself, or go to a place that uses such meat. There is a bar/grill nearby here that uses beef from a source i trust

In other words, a yuppie burger!  ;D

MishaK

Quote from: M forever on January 22, 2008, 01:35:04 PM
Why don't you just deep fry the whole thing. Duck à la Kentucky - Kenducky!

Eww. Gross.  :P

Quote from: M forever on January 22, 2008, 01:35:04 PM
In other words, a yuppie burger!  ;D

You mean chopped yuppie on a bun?  >:D  Not really. It's rather an ordinary neighborhood joint. They just care about the meat they use.

Quote from: Don on January 22, 2008, 01:15:15 PM
So, you wouldn't mind a 'snot burger' as long as the cooking time is sufficient?

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  ;D  Besides the snot thing is just prejudice. It's not like one or another type of food is more or less prone to accidental ingredients. It's a question of whether you trust the people preparing it.

George

Roasted Vegetable Lasagne   8)