What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on January 31, 2021, 04:10:09 PM
So mushrooms was what I had, and that worked well.  Here is the recipe.  I used peanut oil and oyster sauce.
Looks yummy!  What kind of rice did you end up using?

I like the idea of a non-stick wok; I have what is called a "chef's pan" by All-clad.  It has a flat bottom and rounded sides.  https://www.all-clad.com/cookware/categories/chef-pans.html

Mine doesn't have the copper-core though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Basmati rice because I had it on hand it fits the bill of not being overly sticky.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 01, 2021, 05:25:37 AM
never tried a whole bone-in chicken, have done thighs.  Do a lot of fish - but mostly filets.  You do need to brown meat after the sous vide - usually sear it on a frying pan or grill.  A bonus is the bag you cook the meat in contains all the juices so its great for a sauce
If you had a thicker cut of meat (Like a thick pork chop or a thick steak) that were bone-in, do you think that it would still work as well--and get it up to a safe temperature by the bone?

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2021, 05:29:05 AM
Basmati rice because I had it on hand it fits the bill of not being overly sticky.

Thanks!  I'll save the link to the page--very helpful!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2021, 05:32:39 AM
If you had a thicker cut of meat (Like a thick pork chop or a thick steak) that were bone-in, do you think that it would still work as well--and get it up to a safe temperature by the bone?
\

PD

Yes - bone-in pork chops or steaks work great - have done a lot of those.  You can do a whole prime rib FWIW

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on February 01, 2021, 05:58:40 AM
Yes - bone-in pork chops or steaks work great - have done a lot of those.  You can do a whole prime rib FWIW
Getting hungry here...must make breakfast (and then start shoveling).

Do you ever have to weight-down the bags of food?  Or turn them over?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Today, making a homemade cream of mushroom soup, to keep me warm and comforted on this incredibly cold Winnipeg winter day. 🙂

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 06, 2021, 06:01:13 AM
Today, making a homemade cream of mushroom soup, to keep me warm and comforted on this incredibly cold Winnipeg winter day. 🙂
Geez Louise!  We're thinking alike! lol  Today I purchased some mushrooms (had some mushroom stock on hand already), some light cream and some tarragon to make some soup (probably tomorrow).  Would love to know what you put into yours and how you think that it came out--any changes for the future, what kind of mushrooms you used, etc.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 06, 2021, 02:27:59 PM
Geez Louise!  We're thinking alike! lol  Today I purchased some mushrooms (had some mushroom stock on hand already), some light cream and some tarragon to make some soup (probably tomorrow).  Would love to know what you put into yours and how you think that it came out--any changes for the future, what kind of mushrooms you used, etc.  :)

PD

I used a combination of cremini and Portobello mushrooms, about 1 kg in total. Some fresh chopped thyme, vegetable broth, diced onion and garlic, some dry red wine, about four tablespoons of flour and some half/half cream.

At the end of cooking, I did a very short immersion blended of about ten seconds just to thicken and smooth out the soup slightly.

Delicious!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 06, 2021, 04:09:33 PM
I used a combination of cremini and Portobello mushrooms, about 1 kg in total. Some fresh chopped thyme, vegetable broth, diced onion and garlic, some dry red wine, about four tablespoons of flour and some half/half cream.

At the end of cooking, I did a very short immersion blended of about ten seconds just to thicken and smooth out the soup slightly.

Delicious!  :)
Sounds tasty!  :)  Like you, I was thinking of pureeing some of it to thicken it a bit and also give the broth a deeper flavor.  Glad that you enjoyed your meal!

Have you ever tried pairing fresh tarragon and/or fresh marjoram with mushrooms before?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2021, 03:00:31 AM

Have you ever tried pairing fresh tarragon and/or fresh marjoram with mushrooms before?

PD

No, I haven't. I'm not familiar with using those herbs. I definitely could give them a try next time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 07, 2021, 03:53:04 AM
No, I haven't. I'm not familiar with using those herbs. I definitely could give them a try next time.
This is a favorite recipe of mine.  It was created by Deborah Madison (I have about six of her cookbooks--love them!).  It does take a while to make.  The crepes do freeze well though (I put some parchment paper between them).  The spinach is in the batter.  You stack them three high with layers of an herbed ricotta spread then top the whole thing off with a mushroom sauce.

https://daradoesdinner.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/spinach-crepe-cake-with-herbed-ricotta-and-mushrooms/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I cooked a little Mexican bowl. My own concoction but not at all original:

1 serving of white rice
1 can of black beans and
1 can of chipotle sauce
1 sliced avocado*
1 dollop of sour cream
some shredded mexican cheese (monterey jack etc.)
1 lb ground beef cooked with 2 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, some salt

The avocado is per serving ditto the cheese and sour cream, this serves 4.

Also a colleague gave me some homemade Chinese dumplings that his Mother in law made.  Oh they were very good!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2021, 05:27:35 AM
I cooked a little Mexican bowl. My own concoction but not at all original:

1 serving of white rice
1 can of black beans and
1 can of chipotle sauce
1 sliced avocado*
1 dollop of sour cream
some shredded mexican cheese (monterey jack etc.)
1 lb ground beef cooked with 2 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, some salt

The avocado is per serving ditto the cheese and sour cream, this serves 4.

Also a colleague gave me some homemade Chinese dumplings that his Mother in law made.  Oh they were very good!
When you say "1 can of chipotle sauce" are you referring to chipotles in adobo sauce?

Both sound tasty!  What were the dumplings filled with by the way?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Yes, that might have even have been the can.

The dumplings were stuffed with pork and corn.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2021, 07:39:52 AM
Yes, that might have even have been the can.

The dumplings were stuffed with pork and corn.
Wow, you put the whole can in?!

Now I'm getting hungry for dumplings!  I'll have to try making them sometime.  Not certain what will be for dinner tonight....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2021, 10:12:19 AM
Wow, you put the whole can in?!

Now I'm getting hungry for dumplings!  I'll have to try making them sometime.  Not certain what will be for dinner tonight....

PD

My can was smaller, I'd like to say 7 oz.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2021, 01:02:23 PM
My can was smaller, I'd like to say 7 oz.
I'm trying something new (so as to avoid wasting the leftover chipotles from my recently made vegetarian chile); I poured the extra sauce and peppers into a small plastic storage bag and put it laying down/flat in my freezer and will try breaking off a chunk when I need some more.  Next time, I might try pureeing it first.  Will see how it works!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I cooked shrimp pesto last night.  Turned out well except I accidentally burned the garlic toast.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2021, 10:43:36 AM
I cooked shrimp pesto last night.  Turned out well except I accidentally burned the garlic toast.
Shrimp with pesto sauce....yum!  Did you make your own pesto?  In the past, sometimes I tried using some sauces that one could find in the refrigerated section of grocery stores; they never taste as good as homemade.  I've also tried freezing it.  It turns an icky dark green though.

Was the toast 'scrapeable'?  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2021, 03:41:58 AM
Shrimp with pesto sauce....yum!  Did you make your own pesto?  In the past, sometimes I tried using some sauces that one could find in the refrigerated section of grocery stores; they never taste as good as homemade.  I've also tried freezing it.  It turns an icky dark green though.

Was the toast 'scrapeable'?  :(

Just store bought.  I was too lazy to do homemade.  I have both a food processor and a blender just crying for use.  Only edges of the toast were burnt so the edges went to the dog and I enjoyed the rest.