What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Inspired by someones post here, I did some googling around for a shepherd's pie recipe.  Decided to make a cottage pie instead (using beef instead of lamb).  Found this recipe.  Adjusted it a bit as I only had 1 lb. of ground beef.  In the end, I put about the same amount of veggies in there (a bit more peas and corn).  And also had to add more chicken stock.  Had hoped to share it with a friend, but he wanted to get his grocery shopping done and head on home (He has to get up very early in the morning).

The good thing:  I peeled and cut up all of the potatoes and they are sitting in a pot of water.  I also prepared all of the beef and veggie mixture and put that in the fridge.  So, all I have left to do is to make the mash, put the dish in the oven and make a salad to go with it.  :)

I pretty much went by this recipe here:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 14, 2021, 11:10:28 AM
Inspired by someones post here, I did some googling around for a shepherd's pie recipe.  Decided to make a cottage pie instead (using beef instead of lamb).  Found this recipe.  Adjusted it a bit as I only had 1 lb. of ground beef.  In the end, I put about the same amount of veggies in there (a bit more peas and corn).  And also had to add more chicken stock.  Had hoped to share it with a friend, but he wanted to get his grocery shopping done and head on home (He has to get up very early in the morning).

The good thing:  I peeled and cut up all of the potatoes and they are sitting in a pot of water.  I also prepared all of the beef and veggie mixture and put that in the fridge.  So, all I have left to do is to make the mash, put the dish in the oven and make a salad to go with it.  :)

I pretty much went by this recipe here:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900

PD

Sounds like it might be a delicious recipe!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2021, 11:42:42 AM
Sounds like it might be a delicious recipe!
I'll let you know how I like it!  I'm tempted to also sauté some mushrooms to add to the meat/veggie base.

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 14, 2021, 11:56:02 AM
I'll let you know how I like it!  I'm tempted to also sauté some mushrooms to add to the meat/veggie base.

PD

That sounds like a splendid addition!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2021, 01:58:19 PM
That sounds like a splendid addition!
I ended up not [tired], but still enjoyed it.  Tempted to try a vegetarian version of it at some point.

Has anyone here tried products like Beyond Meat?

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 05:02:23 AM

PD

Yes, not a fan.  I don't like weird facsimiles. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Just had a flour tortilla filled with some leftover roasted sweet potato and red onion (reheated) with some torn up lettuce, avocado, sliced tomato and pesto mayo for lunch...yum!  This was my reward for completing the onerous task of cleaning out the toaster oven.

Looking forward to easy leftovers for dinner tonight.   :)

PD

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 05:02:23 AM
I ended up not [tired], but still enjoyed it.  Tempted to try a vegetarian version of it at some point.

PD

Ive had a prepared beyond meat burger in a restaurant and it was very delicious. If you'd had told me it was beef I would not have suspected anything. The only letdown was the vegan cheese which is still best described, at my most generous, as 'edible'.

There are so many substitute meat products available here now it's almost a full aisle at my local supermarket. I've been trying them one by one and my observation so far is to avoid anything flavoured. Clearly they put their best efforts into the ones where they can't hide behind salt and highly processed flavouring.

Faux meat mince is useful stuff, for meatballs, lasagna etc - they've really upped their game in the texture realm so I can finally say goodbye to that soggy Quorn business!

I want to try to recreate a decent larb salad - that's a challenge as you need to get the mince really quite dry, but I think it may now be possible. 🙂

Benji

I had a 'baked zitti' for lunch. It's not a common thing here in the UK - if we bake pasta it is almost always either lasagna or tuna pasta bake.

I only encountered zitti from YouTube (and maybe mafia movies!).  It was very good - I enjoyed the ricotta element, again not commonly baked in savoury applications here.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 05:43:44 AM
Ive had a prepared beyond meat burger in a restaurant and it was very delicious. If you'd had told me it was beef I would not have suspected anything. The only letdown was the vegan cheese which is still best described, at my most generous, as 'edible'.

There are so many substitute meat products available here now it's almost a full aisle at my local supermarket. I've been trying them one by one and my observation so far is to avoid anything flavoured. Clearly they put their best efforts into the ones where they can't hide behind salt and highly processed flavouring.

Faux meat mince is useful stuff, for meatballs, lasagna etc - they've really upped their game in the texture realm so I can finally say goodbye to that soggy Quorn business!

I want to try to recreate a decent larb salad - that's a challenge as you need to get the mince really quite dry, but I think it may now be possible. 🙂
The few reports about B.M. have been from either food shows or morning news, etc. shows, but from what I recall, all of them have been positive in terms of taste and texture.  Tempted to give it a shot here.  I forget the name of a soy-based mozzarella-style cheese that I ate for a while many, many years ago.  It melted well, but taste-wise.....ehhh....  :(

I hadn't heard of larb before now...had to google it.

Baked ziti is yummy!  :)

Finally got around to making my cream of mushroom soup last night.  Very pleased with how it came out (and have leftovers).

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 05:48:36 AM
I had a 'baked zitti' for lunch.

Nice!  I cooked a pizza last weekend.

Brahmsian

A bologna and cheese sandwich, because sometimes I just crave bologna!  :laugh:

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2021, 06:47:08 AM
The few reports about B.M. have been from either food shows or morning news, etc. shows, but from what I recall, all of them have been positive in terms of taste and texture.  Tempted to give it a shot here.  I forget the name of a soy-based mozzarella-style cheese that I ate for a while many, many years ago.  It melted well, but taste-wise.....ehhh....  :(

I hadn't heard of larb before now...had to google it.

Baked ziti is yummy!  :)

Finally got around to making my cream of mushroom soup last night.  Very pleased with how it came out (and have leftovers).

PD

Soy mozzarella... Pass! Lol
That said I am open to the idea of non dairy cheese and have tried a few but I haven't had anything that approached 'good'. Interesting that statistics show that most people who swear off meat have a corresponding swing towards dairy as if they're swapping the beef for cheese pound for pound! I have not experienced this but have promised myself I'll only have high quality, high welfare cheese, and rarely.

I also swapped cow milk for oatly, which was very easy to do. The barista oatly is so good to add to black tea, very creamy and doesn't taste starchy at all. I've successfully used it in scrambled eggs and pancake batter... But there's no escaping the butter in those recipes... Well I could but come on, one change at a time!

Mushroom soup sounds lovely - did you make it all from scratch? I found mushroom stock cubes In my local Polish deli - not to be dramatic but they are life changing Now they are my secret ingredient in a borscht.

Benji

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2021, 07:03:48 AM
Nice!  I cooked a pizza last weekend.

Nice! Home made dough and sauce? I tried cast iron pizza a while back and it was easy and hit the spot - definitely something you could whip up mid week.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 07:55:24 AM
Soy mozzarella... Pass! Lol
That said I am open to the idea of non dairy cheese and have tried a few but I haven't had anything that approached 'good'. Interesting that statistics show that most people who swear off meat have a corresponding swing towards dairy as if they're swapping the beef for cheese pound for pound! I have not experienced this but have promised myself I'll only have high quality, high welfare cheese, and rarely.

I also swapped cow milk for oatly, which was very easy to do. The barista oatly is so good to add to black tea, very creamy and doesn't taste starchy at all. I've successfully used it in scrambled eggs and pancake batter... But there's no escaping the butter in those recipes... Well I could but come on, one change at a time!

Mushroom soup sounds lovely - did you make it all from scratch? I found mushroom stock cubes In my local Polish deli - not to be dramatic but they are life changing Now they are my secret ingredient in a borscht.
The mushroom stock cubes sound like something easy and nice to have on hand in the cupboard.  What brand did you purchase?  I had some of this on hand:  https://www.pacificfoods.com/our-products/broths/organic-mushroom-broth/  I like their products.  I also used some vegetable stock that I had in the freezer (left over from Christmas).  I sautéed a mixture of mushrooms in some butter and added some sprigs of fresh thyme from my plant up in the attic, s & p, added some light cream at the end.  Kept it simple.  :)  Regarding dairy, I've sometimes purchased Earth Balance spread instead of butter.  A local bakery uses it in some really really good vegan cookies.  Haven't yet tried oat milk.  Once in a while I'll use either an almond milk or a soy milk.  I've loved cheese for many years so would be hard to give it up!

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2021, 08:17:33 AM
The mushroom stock cubes sound like something easy and nice to have on hand in the cupboard.  What brand did you purchase?  I had some of this on hand:  https://www.pacificfoods.com/our-products/broths/organic-mushroom-broth/  I like their products.  I also used some vegetable stock that I had in the freezer (left over from Christmas).  I sautéed a mixture of mushrooms in some butter and added some sprigs of fresh thyme from my plant up in the attic, s & p, added some light cream at the end.  Kept it simple.  :)  Regarding dairy, I've sometimes purchased Earth Balance spread instead of butter.  A local bakery uses it in some really really good vegan cookies.  Haven't yet tried oat milk.  Once in a while I'll use either an almond milk or a soy milk.  I've loved cheese for many years so would be hard to give it up!

I believe they're Knorr brand from the packaging - but a Polish version.

Your recipe sounds excellent. I make something very similar but instead of cream I stir in some cream cheese and have it with gnocchi or mushroom tortellini.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 18, 2021, 08:24:19 AM
Real meat and dairy for me; whoever said "give us this day our daily bread" didn't understand human metabolism. ::)
Whatever works for you!  :)

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 08:27:28 AM
I believe they're Knorr brand from the packaging - but a Polish version.

Your recipe sounds excellent. I make something very similar but instead of cream I stir in some cream cheese and have it with gnocchi or mushroom tortellini.

I suspect it's this?  https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Grzybowy-Borowikach-Mushroom-Bouillon/dp/B071NMWN9Y/ref=pd_cday0_1?pd_rd_w=wogbV&pf_rd_p=cb4d737a-aada-4d26-94bc-14266506111b&pf_rd_r=7AFYC7Q2T8DNX0KG1KPK&pd_rd_r=93505513-ab10-4201-8761-9acb5edd64e2&pd_rd_wg=whvNq&pd_rd_i=B071NMWN9Y&psc=1

I haven't made gnocchi before.  Do you make your own?  One thing that I try and keep in my freezer (extra chest freezer in the basement) are some of these.  Decent tasting and can find them on sale occasionally at my local co-op.    https://www.risingmoon.com/bmb/products/rising_moon_new

And mushroom sauce....mmmm!  ;D  I do need to make a quick trip to the grocery store today, so I'll keep an eye out for those bouillon cubes.

PD

p.s.  It's also nice to have several varieties of dried mushrooms on hand too.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2021, 08:39:15 AM
Whatever works for you!  :)

Oh you read it before I had second thoughts and hit delete. :-[

Benji

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 18, 2021, 08:49:17 AM
Oh you read it before I had second thoughts and hit delete. :-[

I liked the picture! I mean I still wouldn't buy margarine but if it was a genuine product that was some balsy marketing!  :laugh:

DavidW

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 07:59:26 AM
Nice! Home made dough and sauce? I tried cast iron pizza a while back and it was easy and hit the spot - definitely something you could whip up mid week.

Yes I made a two ingredient dough (plain greek yogurt and self rising flour) that is quick, easy and yummy.  But this time around I did not make the sauce I just bought it.