What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2021, 09:21:44 AM
Yes I made a two ingredient dough (plain greek yogurt and self rising flour) that is quick, easy and yummy.  But this time around I did not make the sauce I just bought it.
I haven't tried skillet pizza before--nor self-rising flour (though I do remember eating things like--and making--Bisquick pancakes as a kid and more recently some sweet potato pancakes).

Does anyone here have any favorite salad dressing recipes?

And speaking of salads, years ago I ate at a restaurant that served a combo of Korean and Japanese food.  I fell in love with their Korean spinach salad that had a kind of light dressing and topped with sesame seeds.  It was sooo good.  I found this recipe:  https://www.betterbutter.in/recipe/20459/korean-spinach-salad/ which sounds rather like what I remembered.  Is it authentic?  And/or does anyone have a favorite recipe for it?

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2021, 10:44:24 AM
I haven't tried skillet pizza before

I haven't either. ;D  I still knead the dough on a floured surface and bake in the oven.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2021, 11:39:21 AM
I haven't either. ;D  I still knead the dough on a floured surface and bake in the oven.
Sorry, I had thought that you were the one who had made a skillet pizza.

PD

Benji

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 18, 2021, 12:20:00 PM
Sorry, I had thought that you were the one who had made a skillet pizza.

PD

That'd be me  :D

The way I did it - make the dough mix the night before and just leave out for 18 hours or however long (this is the relaxed 'no knead' style of baking). At least an hour before you want to eat, stretch out enough dough to cover your cast iron skillet to the thickness you like and give it a nice generous coating of olive oil on both sides before laying in the pan and stretching to fit. Then you just cover it and let it rest whilst you prepare sauce and toppings. You want everything to be really dry and sliced really thinly, so saute any oily meats or watery veggies first. The pizza will cook so quickly, there is no time for anything to lose much moisture during the cooking. Preheat the oven to max.

After an hour's rest start the assembly and then you simply give the pan a two or three minute blast on the hob to brown the bottom a bit then stick it all in the oven for however long it takes to melt the cheese and get the nice blistering on the dough - ten mins or so.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Benji on February 18, 2021, 01:01:09 PM
That'd be me  :D

The way I did it - make the dough mix the night before and just leave out for 18 hours or however long (this is the relaxed 'no knead' style of baking). At least an hour before you want to eat, stretch out enough dough to cover your cast iron skillet to the thickness you like and give it a nice generous coating of olive oil on both sides before laying in the pan and stretching to fit. Then you just cover it and let it rest whilst you prepare sauce and toppings. You want everything to be really dry and sliced really thinly, so saute any oily meats or watery veggies first. The pizza will cook so quickly, there is no time for anything to lose much moisture during the cooking. Preheat the oven to max.

After an hour's rest start the assembly and then you simply give the pan a two or three minute blast on the hob to brown the bottom a bit then stick it all in the oven for however long it takes to melt the cheese and get the nice blistering on the dough - ten mins or so.
Ah, thanks for claiming it!  ;D  Might give it a shot.  I do own and have used a couple of pizza stones too.

Best,

PD

DavidW

Pohjolas Daughter

David,

Must be that cold weather as I made spaghetti sauce yesterday (used ground beef but added carrots and celery besides the usual onion.  I also roasted some garlic and added that in too).  :)  Made a salad adding in avocado and some shallots to go with it.  Lots of leftovers.

PD

EDIT:  I forgot how much warmer it is in your area than mine lol!  And like O.N., am curious as to what you put into your chili.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 21, 2021, 04:28:29 PM
Homemade chili for me.

What were your main ingredients, David?

DavidW

Nice PD!

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 22, 2021, 03:45:22 AM
What were your main ingredients, David?

Chili beans, ground beef, rotel tomatoes with green chilies, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Pretty simple.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 05:15:56 AM
Nice PD!

Chili beans, ground beef, rotel tomatoes with green chilies, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Pretty simple.
What kind of chili beans do you like to use?  And any favorite brand of chili powder?

Just made a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, fresh spinach and some diced avocado.  I'm happily full.  :)

PD

DavidW

I'm not that sophisticated.  Bush's canned for the beans and nearly all my spices are McCormick's.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 06:08:39 AM
I'm not that sophisticated.  Bush's canned for the beans and nearly all my spices are McCormick's.
That's fine.  Just curious as to there are those who take their chili-making very seriously.  :) ;)

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 05:15:56 AM
Nice PD!

Nice. Sounds delicious. I am assuming chili beans is the same as red kidney beans?

I also add a bit of ground cumin, a diced red pepper and some sliced mushrooms to my chili and garlic cloves.

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 22, 2021, 07:05:25 AM
That's fine.  Just curious as to there are those who take their chili-making very seriously.  :) ;)

PD

That would be the Texans on the forum.  bwv, gurn, brian, greg etc. I'm sure they would be most disappointed that I didn't have at least a Serrano pepper!  You know one of my neighbors grows Carolina Reaper that would be an addition to remember (mostly for the bill for the ride to the ER!)

Brahmsian

Meal planning for next week (part of menu) :

Buttermilk pork chops with lemon caper sauce, and a side of rice or orzo.

Braised Greek-style beans (green beans, tomatoes, potatoes and basil) with pan fried chicken breasts or thighs.

DavidW

I cooked fried chicken, biscuits, and snap peas last night.  Yummy in the tummy! :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 25, 2021, 06:06:48 AM

Braised Greek-style beans (green beans, tomatoes, potatoes and basil) with pan fried chicken breasts or thighs.
Those both sound yummy!  I suspect that the top one is from a Bridge cookbook?  :)  Where is the bottom one from?  Sounds like fasolakia (did some googling)?  Will you be serving it with feta?  I'd like to try it (I have a number of cans of tomatoes in the basement) and it sounds healthy and filling too.

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2021, 07:00:32 AM
I cooked fried chicken, biscuits, and snap peas last night.  Yummy in the tummy! :P
Fried chicken....yum!  And biscuits too...mmm. How do you cook your snaps?  I'm not terribly fond of them, but should try some different ways of using them.

Probably leftover spaghetti sauce with pasta and a salad for dinner tonight for me.

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 25, 2021, 01:21:47 PM
Fried chicken....yum!  And biscuits too...mmm. How do you cook your snaps?  I'm not terribly fond of them, but should try some different ways of using them.

It is just one of those steamer bags.  My local Thai restaurant makes great use of them... maybe try some Thai stir fry?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 25, 2021, 01:38:43 PM
It is just one of those steamer bags.  My local Thai restaurant makes great use of them... maybe try some Thai stir fry?
Thanks for the suggestion.  Must admit, I don't know Thai food at all though I'm gearing up to try a dish or two for starters.  I think that my experience at a local restaurant years ago made for a bad introduction to the food.   :(

PD

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 25, 2021, 06:06:48 AM

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 25, 2021, 01:21:47 PM
Those both sound yummy!  I suspect that the top one is from a Bridge cookbook?  :)  Where is the bottom one from?  Sounds like fasolakia (did some googling)?  Will you be serving it with feta?  I'd like to try it (I have a number of cans of tomatoes in the basement) and it sounds healthy and filling too.

Ha ha!  :laugh:  Great guess. Yes, the pork chop recipe is from a 'Best of Bridge' cook book called 'Sunday Suppers'. It was a cookbook that my girlfriend won in a raffle draw a few years ago. She doesn't use it but I do.  :D That is where I drew upon the roasted red pepper soup that I do. Ps - I haven't tried this pork chop recipe before.

Yes, the Greek style beans is called Fasolakia. It is from a cook book called "Cook It In Your Dutch Oven" by America's Test Kitchen". It is the cook book I use most often if I am not googling a recipe online. Ps - Have not tried this one before either.

The feta sounds like a good add on at the end.

I think the Greek style beans can have a variety of different interpretations and tweaks to it. Let us know how it turns out if you try it!