What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 06:10:01 AM
Must admit, most of the times that I've given in and purchased store-bought sauces, I've been disappointed..also with things like salad dressings.  They are convenient though.  What do you gents think of this recipe (just ran across) it in terms of how you think that it would taste.  The fact that the author says that it would work for the whole family leads me to believe that it might be a bit bland.  https://veganheaven.org/recipe/vegetable-korma/

PD

Looks good - no chiles (other than the little bit in the garam masala) so that is why they are likely saying its for the whole family.  I have found that using stick C. verum or Ceylon cinnamon (dont need to be that precise, just toss a stick in the curry), vs the more common cassia really makes a difference - likewise whole green cardamon (the seeds from the pod)

BWV 1080

Speaking of garam masala, coated some prime NY strips with a mix  of virgin (not toasted) sesame oil and ginger/garlic paste then a dry rub of salt, pepper and garam masala and threw them on the grill - turned out really nice

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on March 01, 2021, 10:45:56 AM
Speaking of garam masala, coated some prime NY strips with a mix  of virgin (not toasted) sesame oil and ginger/garlic paste then a dry rub of salt, pepper and garam masala and threw them on the grill - turned out really nice
So did you marinate the steaks first in the sesame oil and ginger garlic paste, wipe it off and then apply the dry rub?  And what did you serve with it?

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 10:02:05 AM
I wouldn't think that a half of a cup would be that bad cost-wise?  Granted nuts aren't cheap.  Do you have a co-op nearby?  Those are nice because you can buy exactly what you need.  :)  And the recipe serves 4.  May I ask what sauce you purchased?

PD

No I do not have a co-op and actually no stores here sell raw cashews.  I have to order them online and we are talking $10-20.  Not cheap at all.

DavidW

Quote from: BWV 1080 on March 01, 2021, 10:45:56 AM

That sounds great!

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 12:12:40 PM
So did you marinate the steaks first in the sesame oil and ginger garlic paste, wipe it off and then apply the dry rub?  And what did you serve with it?

No, marinating (other than brining) is BS, it does nothing :

QuoteWe took boneless skinless chicken breasts in four different marinades: soy, yogurt, red wine, and lemon and garlic. We left them in there for 18 hours. After that time, the marinade had penetrated less than between 1-3 millimeters, which is less than a tenth of an inch, and that's after 18 hours. We took the chicken breasts, shaved off the amount the marinade had gone in – the outer three milliliters – and roasted them along with other chicken breasts that had not been marinated. We had people taste them. No one could taste any difference at all.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2017/06/02/food-myths-busted-by-americas-test-kitchen-marinating-basting-and-boiling

Just applied the rub directly on the oil / ginger /garlic

Did some asparagus the same way and grilled it with the steaks

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 01, 2021, 12:32:49 PM
No I do not have a co-op and actually no stores here sell raw cashews.  I have to order them online and we are talking $10-20.  Not cheap at all.
Sorry to hear that David.  :(  One suggestion (if you don't already do it):  I often freeze nuts/seeds to prolong their shelf life.  And, yes, you need to do what suits your budget.  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 01:02:59 PM
Sorry to hear that David.  :(  One suggestion (if you don't already do it):  I often freeze nuts/seeds to prolong their shelf life.  And, yes, you need to do what suits your budget.  :)

Best wishes,

PD

Clever, I'll remember that!

Stürmisch Bewegt

In answer to this thread's question:  sadly, nothing.  Six or so months ago I gave up dinners and retreated to two meals per day for weight control, better sleep, and concession to old age (just not needing that many calories).  Does it work?  Yup.  And I'm not hungry every night around this time (just most nights... :'()
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on March 01, 2021, 03:54:43 PM
In answer to this thread's question:  sadly, nothing.  Six or so months ago I gave up dinners and retreated to two meals per day for weight control, better sleep, and concession to old age (just not needing that many calories).  Does it work?  Yup.  And I'm not hungry every night around this time (just most nights... :'()
What about eating a small evening meal or healthy snack?  And one preferably at least three hours before bedtime?  And as far as this thread goes, in my opinion anyway, it doesn't have to be just about dinner/your evening meal.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 02:04:47 AM
What about eating a small evening meal or healthy snack?  And one preferably at least three hours before bedtime?  And as far as this thread goes, in my opinion anyway, it doesn't have to be just about dinner/your evening meal.   :)

Thanks, PD, actually I've tried that - eating just a small snack - but the system (mine and its) works best with nothing (more than anything I think it's the recollection of getting three squares a day that primes the appetite during the dinner hour).  It does mean I eat a bit more than I did back in the day for breakfast and lunch.  I'll respond to this thread during lunch! 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

DavidW

I think I would trade dinner for a solid night's sleep.  Sounds good.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 08:17:09 AM
Will look around a bit more.  It does seem pretty easy though.

Just made a couple of different dishes at the same time:  a chicken and onion quesadilla (for breakfast/brunch really).  I had a container of mushrooms that was in the use-it-or-lose-it stage, so...I made a quick cream of mushroom soup using some leftover chicken stock, some water, grabbed a few dried mushrooms that I had (soaked them in hot water)....some softened onion cooked with mushrooms and a few cloves of leftover roasted garlic.  Plunked it all into blender and then poured it into a pot, added some sprigs of fresh thyme, s&p, some water and cooked it over stovetop for a while.   It's now cooling.  Will add some light cream when I go to reheat it.

Dish duty in a bit....

PD

p.s. Enjoyed listening to a wonderful recording of Chopin's PC No. 2 whilst cooking too!  :)

Nice!

Brahmsian

PD,

The fasolakia (Greek beans) was very good. Probably will be even better tonight since they have had a chance of settling the flavours longer.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 03, 2021, 04:12:10 AM
PD,

The fasolakia (Greek beans) was very good. Probably will be even better tonight since they have had a chance of settling the flavours longer.
Nice!  Would you mind sharing the recipe?  :)

I just found this recipe.  I'm going to make it but for breakfast.  Thinking of how to spice up the beans a bit (and also heating them up):  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sweet-potato-black-bean-burritos

I have everything except for the white cheddar; however, I do have some other cheeses including a different type of cheddar which I think will still work with it.  Off to chop up the yams and get them cooking.....
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Yeah, if you can get the two meals within an 8 hour period the 16 hour fast will really give your insulin levels time to drop down.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 04:45:09 AM
Nice!  Would you mind sharing the recipe?  :)

Mediterranean Braised Green Beans with Potatoes and Basil

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ cups water
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes drained with juice reserved, chopped coarse
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, baking soda, green beans, and potatoes and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes and their juice, salt, and pepper.

Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until sauce is slightly thickened and green beans and potatoes can be easily cut with side of fork, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in basil and lemon juice and serve warm or at room temperature.

FYI, I also added two bay leaves and doubled the garlic, both of which are standard for me. I also used vegetable broth instead of water.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: BWV 1080 on March 01, 2021, 12:44:24 PM
No, marinating (other than brining) is BS, it does nothing :

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2017/06/02/food-myths-busted-by-americas-test-kitchen-marinating-basting-and-boiling

Just applied the rub directly on the oil / ginger /garlic

Did some asparagus the same way and grilled it with the steaks
I guess that I would have thought that you would have either applied the dry rub first and let it sit for awhile and then the wet, or wiped off the marinade and then apply the dry?  Wonder what the tasters would have thought of the chicken if they hadn't removed the outer (marinaded meat) in terms of taste?  By the way, today I watch a t.v. segment in which a chef of Indian descent scored pieces of chicken to let the marinade/spices really get into the pieces of boneless chicken.  It was for an at home version of chicken tandoori.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 03, 2021, 10:48:53 AM
Mediterranean Braised Green Beans with Potatoes and Basil

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ cups water
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes drained with juice reserved, chopped coarse
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, baking soda, green beans, and potatoes and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes and their juice, salt, and pepper.

Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until sauce is slightly thickened and green beans and potatoes can be easily cut with side of fork, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in basil and lemon juice and serve warm or at room temperature.

FYI, I also added two bay leaves and doubled the garlic, both of which are standard for me. I also used vegetable broth instead of water.
Thank you!  By the way, did you add fresh or dried bay leaves?  I'm curious to hear as to how you like the leftovers and whether or not you would change anything if you made it again?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

BWV 1080

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 11:06:48 AM
I guess that I would have thought that you would have either applied the dry rub first and let it sit for awhile and then the wet, or wiped off the marinade and then apply the dry?  Wonder what the tasters would have thought of the chicken if they hadn't removed the outer (marinaded meat) in terms of taste?  By the way, today I watch a t.v. segment in which a chef of Indian descent scored pieces of chicken to let the marinade/spices really get into the pieces of boneless chicken.  It was for an at home version of chicken tandoori.

But you want the dry rub to create a 'crust' when you grill it.

From reading the article I linked, I dont think the marinade gets into the chicken any better than if you just coat it right before you cook (again unless it is a brine, which I dont think the traditional tandoori is)