What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on January 27, 2008, 10:21:50 AM
Dunno yet. Most likely as much a Southern route as possible without taking too big a detour. Probably through Arizona, New Mexico, north Texas, then up northeast at some point. I know weather can be a big problem.....

M - well, if you take a 'southern' route, I-40 will take you through TN-NC, then up I-85->I-95; if you miss the I-40 bypass in Winston-Salem and end up on business I-40, then you'll pass my place of employment, Wake Forest University Medical Center, quite obvious from the road - wave, I might be inside working!  ;D

M forever

Quote from: Corey on January 27, 2008, 12:32:27 PM
Why Boston in particular, if you don't mind my asking?

I am moving to Boston because I got a good job offer from there.

Kullervo

Quote from: M forever on January 27, 2008, 10:49:53 PM
I am moving to Boston because I got a good job offer from there.

Nice. I lived there for four months and liked it a lot. I intend to move back eventually.

M forever

I can imagine. I just looked at your profile and saw you live in FL. Why?

George

Organic Amaranth Flakes

Organic Edensoy Milk

Organic Flaxseed Oil

Anne

Lilas Pastia

Barbecued chicken wings, blue potato purée and tomato salad. Lemon ice cream for dessert.

Yesterday a scrumptious meal with duck breast, noodles, sautéed mixed vegetables with wild mushrooms and dried cranberries. And a bottle of red bandol, a very special Provence wine.

uffeviking

Quote from: BorisG on January 28, 2008, 09:40:20 AM

Sorry to disappoint you, Boris, but this a fake Apfel Strudel; an AppleStrudel maybe, American variety. In the genuine Strudel, the apples and raisins are in layers in between the dough. Lay out one sheet of Filo, spread the filling and then roll up. The picture has multiple layers or Filo wrapped around the filling. Wrong!

Of course even the use of Filo is a shortcut. To make the proper Strudel is tiresome work and not used any more, at least not by busy bakers!

paulb

Quote from: uffeviking on January 28, 2008, 05:41:31 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, Boris, but this a fake Apfel Strudel; an AppleStrudel maybe, American variety. In the genuine Strudel, the apples and raisins are in layers in between the dough. Lay out one sheet of Filo, spread the filling and then roll up. The picture has multiple layers or Filo wrapped around the filling. Wrong!

Of course even the use of Filo is a shortcut. To make the proper Strudel is tiresome work and not used any more, at least not by busy bakers!

:D

Good for you Uffeviking, you called it right
as a amateur baker, I also noticed how the filling looked the consistency of apple jelly, over sweet, very americanized. I hate americanized french bakeries here in new orleans. I worked for one. La madeliene, which i also worked for is OK on some pastries.
The "real deal" must be something to taste.
To all those in europe, please overnite me a  slice ;D

Kullervo

Boris only eats stock photos.  :)

BorisG

BorisG

Quote from: Corey on January 28, 2008, 06:31:26 PM
Boris only eats stock photos.  :)

Is not it funny how some dismiss without tasting? ;D

Anne

Thanks so much, Boris.  My family will love it.  Many thanks to Carol, too.

uffeviking

Quote from: paulb on January 28, 2008, 06:08:29 PM
:D

The "real deal" must be something to taste.
To all those in europe, please overnite me a  slice ;D

Here is the recipe for making the real thing - make sure you continue on the second page:

http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/strudel/

BorisG

Quote from: Anne on January 29, 2008, 12:54:33 AM
Thanks so much, Boris.  My family will love it.  Many thanks to Carol, too.

You are most welcome, Anne. I am glad Carol and I could be of help. Enjoy.

(poco) Sforzando

Almost invariably when I cook a leg of lamb I want the meat rare. Recently, however, I happened on a recipe where the leg was to cook for about 5 hours on low heat accompanied by lots of garlic. My store sometimes carries boneless legs, thus making the cooking and carving easier, and the recipe turned out amazingly well, as well as being amazingly simple. With long cooking, the garlic loses all its bite and becomes soft and sweet. Here's how to do it:

Brown the lamb in olive oil and butter, and season with salt and pepper. Add 2-3 cups of chicken stock and about 2 heads of garlic, cloves peeled but left whole. Simmer covered over low heat for about 5 hours, turning occasionally and replenishing the stock as needed. Serve the meat with a few cloves of garlic and some of the cooking liquid (preferably strained). Accompany with roasted potatoes and a good red.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

M forever

Right now, after a long day of driving, I am eating a whopper with bacon and cheese from the BK across the street from the hotel. Shame on me!