What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Sipping some hot Japanese brown rice tea (Genmaicha)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: M forever on January 29, 2008, 11:33:53 PM
Right now, after a long day of driving, I am eating a whopper with bacon and cheese from the BK across the street from the hotel. Shame on me!

Where are you now? what route did you decide to take?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Harry

Muesli with soja and cashew nuts, raisins and some biological jam to sweeten it a bit.
A fruit of course.
All to avoid saturated fats.....

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on January 29, 2008, 11:33:53 PM
Right now, after a long day of driving, I am eating a whopper with bacon and cheese from the BK across the street from the hotel. Shame on me!

Did you order it 'off the broiler'?

Allan

M forever

What do you mean off the broiler? They don't cook stuff to order there (I think).

George

MN Dave

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on January 30, 2008, 07:49:14 AM
What do you mean off the broiler? They don't cook stuff to order there (I think).

M,

If you order it off the broiler they'll make your burger to order rather than give you one that's been sitting around for up to 20 minutes.  I also get mine cut in half,  for no other reason than I know they'll do it for me without a problem.   

Allan 

toledobass

Just made some sauce mornay for that decadent sandwich called the croque madame.

Allan

SonicMan46

Mostly seafood last 3-4 nights - out on Saturday to our local mountain bistro - had one of my favs, broiled North Carolina mountain trout w/ a few veggies (spinach & asparagus); then at home, shrimp cakes w/ bok choy (similar to crab cakes - bought from a local seafood place, Sea Products - wonderfully made!); last night, talapia w/ a tangy sausa + salad - of course, all dinners w/ some wine!  :D  But, on Friday, we'll be re-visiting the.... (part of a my post from back last May or so)...

......Don Cesar Beach Resort (shown below) in St. Petersburg, right on the Gulf Coast (love to see the sunsets unlike the east coast of FL); wonderful seafood restaurant in the hotel called The Maritana Grill (menu on a PDF download, if anyone is headed that way - expensive, but some of the best prepared seafood that I've eaten over the years). :P :)

bhodges

Beautiful hotel, there...and that menu is making me salivate.  :o

--Bruce

George

Fresh baked (warm) granola Bar

and Ronnybrook Low fat milk  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: bhodges on January 30, 2008, 01:16:21 PM
Beautiful hotel, there...and that menu is making me salivate.  :o

Hello, Bruce - we normally would not return after just a year, but ate twice @ that restaurant last May, and mainly goin' back for the food!  And of course hoping for some good weather -  :D  Dave

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan on January 30, 2008, 01:32:49 PM
Hello, Bruce - we normally would not return after just a year, but ate twice @ that restaurant last May, and mainly goin' back for the food!  And of course hoping for some good weather -  :D  Dave

I can see why!  It is expensive, but with dishes like "Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Lobster Mashed Potatoes"...and actually I'd probably just continue with more scallops, with that lobster risotto, mm.  0:)  Very enticing menu. 

Hey, if you don't have good weather, just stay inside and eat!

--Bruce

BorisG

Quote from: SonicMan on January 30, 2008, 01:13:56 PM
Mostly seafood last 3-4 nights - out on Saturday to our local mountain bistro - had one of my favs, broiled North Carolina mountain trout w/ a few veggies (spinach & asparagus); then at home, shrimp cakes w/ bok choy (similar to crab cakes - bought from a local seafood place, Sea Products - wonderfully made!); last night, talapia w/ a tangy sausa + salad - of course, all dinners w/ some wine!  :D  But, on Friday, we'll be re-visiting the.... (part of a my post from back last May or so)...

......Don Cesar Beach Resort (shown below) in St. Petersburg, right on the Gulf Coast (love to see the sunsets unlike the east coast of FL); wonderful seafood restaurant in the hotel called The Maritana Grill (menu on a PDF download, if anyone is headed that way - expensive, but some of the best prepared seafood that I've eaten over the years). :P :)

My, my, I had forgotten all about that pink palace. Occasionally I would drive by it when residing in Florida many years ago. I never did see the interior.

I thought it was doomed long ago, but I am not too surprised it survived. Florida has managed to save many beautiful buildings from the 1920's. Just down the road in Sarasota is the lovely Ringling estate. I imagine those grounds are still a must-see.

From Don Cesar media kit. "Since 1928, the Don has served as a luxury hotel, navigational landmark, Yankees Spring Training base, hurricane shelter, hospital, army convalescent center, government office building, graffiti canvas and revitalized luxury resort -- again."

SonicMan46

Quote from: BorisG on January 30, 2008, 02:35:10 PM
My, my, I had forgotten all about that pink palace. Occasionally I would drive by it when residing in Florida many years ago. I never did see the interior.

I thought it was doomed long ago, but I am not too surprised it survived. Florida has managed to save many beautiful buildings from the 1920's. Just down the road in Sarasota is the lovely Ringling estate. I imagine those grounds are still a must-see.

From Don Cesar media kit. "Since 1928, the Don has served as a luxury hotel, navigational landmark, Yankees Spring Training base, hurricane shelter, hospital, army convalescent center, government office building, graffiti canvas and revitalized luxury resort -- again."

Hi, Boris - this will be out 3rd visit there - first one was probably in the 1980s - nice but not great (and don't remember a good restaurant in the hotel); but last year we decided to return - completely renovated, and the restaurant was fairly new - in addition, the entertainment @ night in the bar area was excellent (mainly a jazz duo); of course, plenty of other activities in the Tampa area - so bottom line is that this hotel is still going well & has some great attractions - I'm already looking forward to that return meal -  :o 8)

M forever

Quote from: toledobass on January 30, 2008, 09:03:29 AM
M,

If you order it off the broiler they'll make your burger to order rather than give you one that's been sitting around for up to 20 minutes.  I also get mine cut in half,  for no other reason than I know they'll do it for me without a problem.   

Allan 

They probably also sneeze on it to get back at you for giving them more work.

Papy Oli

Plain chocolate McVities Digestives...

a few of 'em

yes, i am weak like that.... 0:)
Olivier

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on January 30, 2008, 10:43:04 PM
They probably also sneeze on it to get back at you for giving them more work.

Good thing it's an open 'kitchen'.

Allan

MishaK

Quote from: M forever on January 30, 2008, 07:49:14 AM

M,

That was always the difference between McDonalds and BK, that they can accomodate special wishes and cook to order. At least that's how it used to be. I don't think I've had either one in at least seven years.