Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 634791 times)

Offline FideLeo

• Veteran member
  • 2 HIPs Hooray! ^_^
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #1020 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »
Sipping some hot Japanese brown rice tea (Genmaicha)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #1021 on: January 30, 2008, 04:46:57 AM »
Right now, after a long day of driving, I am eating a whopper with bacon and cheese from the BK across the street from the hotel. Shame on me!

Where are you now? what route did you decide to take?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Harry

« Reply #1022 on: January 30, 2008, 04:58:21 AM »
Muesli with soja and cashew nuts, raisins and some biological jam to sweeten it a bit.
A fruit of course.
All to avoid saturated fats.....

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #1023 on: January 30, 2008, 06:18:52 AM »
Right now, after a long day of driving, I am eating a whopper with bacon and cheese from the BK across the street from the hotel. Shame on me!

Did you order it 'off the broiler'?

Allan

M forever

« Reply #1024 on: January 30, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »
What do you mean off the broiler? They don't cook stuff to order there (I think).

George

« Reply #1025 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »

Dhaal and Basmati Rice

MN Dave

« Reply #1026 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »
I just had a croissant.

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #1027 on: January 30, 2008, 10:03:29 AM »
What do you mean off the broiler? They don't cook stuff to order there (I think).

M,

If you order it off the broiler they'll make your burger to order rather than give you one that's been sitting around for up to 20 minutes.  I also get mine cut in half,  for no other reason than I know they'll do it for me without a problem.   

Allan 

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #1028 on: January 30, 2008, 10:04:39 AM »
Just made some sauce mornay for that decadent sandwich called the croque madame.

Allan

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #1029 on: January 30, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »
Mostly seafood last 3-4 nights - out on Saturday to our local mountain bistro - had one of my favs, broiled North Carolina mountain trout w/ a few veggies (spinach & asparagus); then at home, shrimp cakes w/ bok choy (similar to crab cakes - bought from a local seafood place, Sea Products - wonderfully made!); last night, talapia w/ a tangy sausa + salad - of course, all dinners w/ some wine!  :D  But, on Friday, we'll be re-visiting the.... (part of a my post from back last May or so)...

......Don Cesar Beach Resort (shown below) in St. Petersburg, right on the Gulf Coast (love to see the sunsets unlike the east coast of FL); wonderful seafood restaurant in the hotel called The Maritana Grill (menu on a PDF download, if anyone is headed that way - expensive, but some of the best prepared seafood that I've eaten over the years). :P :)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #1030 on: January 30, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »
Beautiful hotel, there...and that menu is making me salivate.  :o

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

George

« Reply #1031 on: January 30, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »
Fresh baked (warm) granola Bar

and Ronnybrook Low fat milk  8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:36:52 PM by George »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #1032 on: January 30, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »
Beautiful hotel, there...and that menu is making me salivate.  :o

Hello, Bruce - we normally would not return after just a year, but ate twice @ that restaurant last May, and mainly goin' back for the food!  And of course hoping for some good weather -  :D  Dave

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #1033 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Hello, Bruce - we normally would not return after just a year, but ate twice @ that restaurant last May, and mainly goin' back for the food!  And of course hoping for some good weather -  :D  Dave

I can see why!  It is expensive, but with dishes like "Pan Seared Sea Scallops with Lobster Mashed Potatoes"...and actually I'd probably just continue with more scallops, with that lobster risotto, mm.  0:)  Very enticing menu. 

Hey, if you don't have good weather, just stay inside and eat!

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

BorisG

« Reply #1034 on: January 30, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
Mostly seafood last 3-4 nights - out on Saturday to our local mountain bistro - had one of my favs, broiled North Carolina mountain trout w/ a few veggies (spinach & asparagus); then at home, shrimp cakes w/ bok choy (similar to crab cakes - bought from a local seafood place, Sea Products - wonderfully made!); last night, talapia w/ a tangy sausa + salad - of course, all dinners w/ some wine!  :D  But, on Friday, we'll be re-visiting the.... (part of a my post from back last May or so)...

......Don Cesar Beach Resort (shown below) in St. Petersburg, right on the Gulf Coast (love to see the sunsets unlike the east coast of FL); wonderful seafood restaurant in the hotel called The Maritana Grill (menu on a PDF download, if anyone is headed that way - expensive, but some of the best prepared seafood that I've eaten over the years). :P :)

My, my, I had forgotten all about that pink palace. Occasionally I would drive by it when residing in Florida many years ago. I never did see the interior.

I thought it was doomed long ago, but I am not too surprised it survived. Florida has managed to save many beautiful buildings from the 1920's. Just down the road in Sarasota is the lovely Ringling estate. I imagine those grounds are still a must-see.

From Don Cesar media kit. "Since 1928, the Don has served as a luxury hotel, navigational landmark, Yankees Spring Training base, hurricane shelter, hospital, army convalescent center, government office building, graffiti canvas and revitalized luxury resort -- again."

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #1035 on: January 30, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
My, my, I had forgotten all about that pink palace. Occasionally I would drive by it when residing in Florida many years ago. I never did see the interior.

I thought it was doomed long ago, but I am not too surprised it survived. Florida has managed to save many beautiful buildings from the 1920's. Just down the road in Sarasota is the lovely Ringling estate. I imagine those grounds are still a must-see.

From Don Cesar media kit. "Since 1928, the Don has served as a luxury hotel, navigational landmark, Yankees Spring Training base, hurricane shelter, hospital, army convalescent center, government office building, graffiti canvas and revitalized luxury resort -- again."

Hi, Boris - this will be out 3rd visit there - first one was probably in the 1980s - nice but not great (and don't remember a good restaurant in the hotel); but last year we decided to return - completely renovated, and the restaurant was fairly new - in addition, the entertainment @ night in the bar area was excellent (mainly a jazz duo); of course, plenty of other activities in the Tampa area - so bottom line is that this hotel is still going well & has some great attractions - I'm already looking forward to that return meal -  :o 8)

M forever

« Reply #1036 on: January 30, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »
M,

If you order it off the broiler they'll make your burger to order rather than give you one that's been sitting around for up to 20 minutes.  I also get mine cut in half,  for no other reason than I know they'll do it for me without a problem.   

Allan 

They probably also sneeze on it to get back at you for giving them more work.

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #1037 on: January 31, 2008, 01:40:49 PM »
Plain chocolate McVities Digestives...

a few of 'em

yes, i am weak like that.... 0:)
Olivier

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #1038 on: January 31, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
They probably also sneeze on it to get back at you for giving them more work.

Good thing it's an open 'kitchen'.

Allan

Offline MishaK

• Veteran member
« Reply #1039 on: January 31, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

M,

That was always the difference between McDonalds and BK, that they can accomodate special wishes and cook to order. At least that's how it used to be. I don't think I've had either one in at least seven years.