What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: Lethe on February 05, 2008, 09:51:48 PM
13 eggs is a bit too much for me :P

At the moment:

Yeah, I'm a real connoisseur... :P

Edit: This tastes like absolute crap  :'( But I made my choice, Karajan or food... Karajan won :P
This looks painful  :o I remember having a can of Chef Boyardee once when I first came here just to see how bad it could be. It was worse than I could possibly conceive.

Moroccan food last night at one of my favorite places to hang out. Couscous of course, but also a wide variety of appetizers (mushrooms, seafood for non-vegetarians, some brochettes) and olives.

bhodges

Quote from: orbital on February 06, 2008, 06:10:18 AM
This looks painful  :o I remember having a can of Chef Boyardee once when I first came here just to see how bad it could be. It was worse than I could possibly conceive.

Moroccan food last night at one of my favorite places to hang out. Couscous of course, but also a wide variety of appetizers (mushrooms, seafood for non-vegetarians, some brochettes) and olives.

Chef Boyardee just makes me chuckle...from the name itself, to the product, virtually swimming in corn syrup.  (I haven't seen a can label in some time, but I suspect that's one of the reasons kids like it.)

What's the Moroccan place?  I love Moroccan food...that's how we brought in the New Year in Washington, DC, as a matter of fact!

--Bruce

orbital

Quote from: bhodges on February 06, 2008, 06:16:20 AM
Chef Boyardee just makes me chuckle...from the name itself, to the product, virtually swimming in corn syrup.  (I haven't seen a can label in some time, but I suspect that's one of the reasons kids like it.)
;D

What's the Moroccan place?  I love Moroccan food...that's how we brought in the New Year in Washington, DC, as a matter of fact!

--Bruce
Cafe Noir, at Grand &Thompson. It is more of a hang out place than a full service restaurant. I like the dim, rustic atmosphere in the back, away from the loud bar area. The food is quite good too though.

MN Dave

Pineapple...banana...coffee...Diet Coke...water...

So far...

SonicMan46

Just returned from our 'too brief' Florida vacation - 4 nights @ the Don Cesar on St. Pete's beach (have shown pics of this wonderfully restored and yet improving 'pink' castle historic hotel before; I think in this & the vacation threads), but eating was just wonderful - below in 'temporal' order, some of our meals:

Maritana Grille - menu HERE in PDF format, if interested - wife  & I both started w/ the Gravalox of salmon, crab, & tuna followed by the Pan seared snapper - couple of glasses of Conundrum - Caymus - chocolate souffle for dessert, shared!

Oyster Shuckers Seafood Restaurant - our second night - much less formal & a lot less expensive!  Shared a dozen oysters on the half shell to start; followed by a salad and then had appetizers for our main course - steamed mussels in a wonderfully flavorful sauce, seared tuna (basically warm but raw), calamari (lightly fried), and some outstanding crab cakes (almost all crab - made fresh daily!); shared a key lime pie!  Wine for the evening, a couple of glasses of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - great experience!

Sunday Brunch @ the Don - not a brunch fan unless outstanding & w/ a lot of seafood offerings!  Some of my favs in the country are the Ritz in San Fran & the Jefferson Hotel in Richmond, VA - this one equals them both!  Just a listing - oysters on the half shelf, large steamed/flavored shrimp, several mussel offerings, salmon - both poached/cold & smoked, other smoked fish, snow crab legs/claws, seafood pasta salads (w/ a lot of seafood), grilled snapper; of course, plenty of other non-fish offerings, cheeses,  & desserts - CA sparkling wine as much as desired (think I had 3 flutes over nearly a 2 hour eating experience!) - we could not even go out for dinner that night!  Price - $36 a person - boy, what a bargain!

Lee's Crab Trap I for lunch in Palmetto - a driving outing (need to put in the vacation thread soon) - 2* rating in AAA guide - started out w/ sharing another dozen raw oysters (probably best of the trip!) - both of us got the mixed crab & lobster (Maine) salad - same used on the crab or lobster rolls - boy, little 'filling', almost just pure crab & lobster!  Superb - south of Tampa Bay just north of Bradenton!

Cafe Luna last night on Gulf Blvd. St. Pete's Beach - started w/ just a light excellent salad (that lunch @ Lee's was not small!) - I had a wonderful grouper/lump crab meat dish on top of rice - superb sauce w/ capers (kind of like an Italian piccata taste) - coupe of glasses of NZ Sauvignon Blanc (YES, I'm into this wine!) - signature dessert was their 'bread pudding' - shared & delicious!

Finally, pleasant surprise on the way home - branch of Phillips Seafood in the Charlotte airport - we had a couple of hours wait - had a wonderful 'blackened' rare tuna w/ a glass of Sterling Chardonnay - wife then made some shrimp cakes for dinner - BOY, 5 days of seafood ONLY!  Had some veal piccata tonight @ our little Italian bistro - nothing like the bounty & variety of the sea, at least in my mind!  :)

Lethevich

Quote from: orbital on February 06, 2008, 06:10:18 AM

The Heinz for some reason tasted like oxtail soup - I don't have a clue how a tomatoey recipe could end up tasting like that :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on February 06, 2008, 06:16:20 AM

--Bruce

Not a direct answer to your question, but there is a wonderful little Moroccan cafe, I forget the name of it, in SoHo in NY, it's on the first or second street parallel to and west of B'way on the block just south of Houston on the east side of the street.

bhodges

Thanks!  Maybe...Cafe Gitane, on Mott between Prince and Houston?  I haven't been there but it has gotten great write-ups.

--Bruce

orbital

Cafe Gitane is pretty good too. Their breads in particular, the couscous is a bit eccentric not to my taste.
But they have gotten a bit too popular lately and you have to stand outside and wait, not a good idea for winter  $:)

MishaK

Quote from: bhodges on February 07, 2008, 07:03:04 AM
Thanks!  Maybe...Cafe Gitane, on Mott between Prince and Houston?  I haven't been there but it has gotten great write-ups.

--Bruce

I don't think that's the one. I'll have to check my collection of business cards when I get home.

orbital

Quote from: O Mensch on February 07, 2008, 07:21:36 AM
I don't think that's the one. I'll have to check my collection of business cards when I get home.
I know of only two other Moroccan/African places around there. There is a restaurant whose name escapes me near the L'Occitane store, and there was Casablanca Tea Room which is now closed I think. And of course there was Casa Le Femme which is also closed now

MishaK

Quote from: orbital on February 07, 2008, 07:37:59 AM
and there was Casablanca Tea Room which is now closed I think.

That may have been it. When did it close? I recall some very white decorated gauzy place with cushy pillows. It was run by Germans, judging by the name of the owner on the card.

orbital

Quote from: O Mensch on February 07, 2008, 07:46:25 AM
That may have been it. When did it close? I recall some very white decorated gauzy place with cushy pillows. It was run by Germans, judging by the name of the owner on the card.

Pretty recently I think. I was going to take a couple of out-of-towners there couple of weeks ago. Either that, or perhaps a renovation of some sort. The website is still online: http://www.casablancatearoom.com/news.html

MishaK

Quote from: orbital on February 07, 2008, 07:55:42 AM
Pretty recently I think. I was going to take a couple of out-of-towners there couple of weeks ago. Either that, or perhaps a renovation of some sort. The website is still online: http://www.casablancatearoom.com/news.html

Yes, that's the one I meant. Let's hope it's just a temporary closure.

bwv 1080

Had some business guests took them for Texmex had a killer Carne Asada a la Tampiqueña then the next day to Goode Company BBQ (the best in town) and across the street to the Armadillo Palace

Where in addition to venison chile and beer you can get any number of accessories made from bull genetalia

toledobass

Met a friend for some vietnamese food.  I had a big bowl of pho with fatty brisket and tripe and a raspberry bubble tea.

Allan

SonicMan46

Wife gone all day (volunteer work & early evening choir), so had to make some dinner myself - so 'leftovers' night for me - had some of the last of Lidia's Bolognese sauce made fresh a week or so ago - from the cookbook below (recipe HERE) - only change was a subsitute of buffalo meat for the beef - just boiled up some pasta & heated up the sauce - a little red wine & a wonderful dish; an excellent 'versatile' sauce - and a great cookbook!  ;D

George

Celebrating a hard day of interviewing:

Meucelin Salad with fresh Parmesan and Artichoke Hearts

Fettuccine Alfredo