What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: listener on October 21, 2021, 11:29:00 AM
I was given a large bag of frozen rhubarb, cooked it gently with a chopped orange, honey and demerara sugar and grated ginger,  A couple of spoonfuls of corn starch to thicken.   Orange and ginger were perfect.
Sounds nice!  What will you do with it now?  Eat it straight up or with something else?  Or use it to make bread, etc.?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Made white pasta e fagioli (a Rachael Ray recipe).  Pretty good but am hoping that it will taste better on Day 2.  It has pancetta, cannelloni beans, onions, fennel, celery, rosemary, bay leaves, chicken stock, garlic, ditalini, escarole, nutmeg and lemon in it.  Here's a link to the recipe (along with a video) if you're interested:  https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/white-pasta-e-fagioli-rachael-ray

I'd love to find a vegetarian version of it, but one that also has a lot of flavor.  I'm thinking about how I could make her recipe a bit richer flavor-wise.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Simple November snacks that have hitherto been very rare on the menu: a family member brought some eatable chestnuts - so fried them in oil and salt for about 30 mins, and then peeled them. That's the primitive version, but yummy, they had a somewhat sweet-salty flavour and felt very nourishing. Could definitely make a habit of that ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 05:19:17 AM
Simple November snacks that have hitherto been very rare on the menu: a family member brought some eatable chestnuts - so fried them in oil and salt for about 30 mins, and then peeled them. That's the primitive version, but yummy, they had a somewhat sweet-salty flavour and felt very nourishing. Could definitely make a habit of that ...
Never had them that way before, but happy that you enjoyed them!

Am happily eating a bowl of homemade chicken and vegetable soup.  This time I put in, carrots, onions, celery, cut up fresh green beans, added in a can of dark kidney beans, a combo of fresh and dried spices and homemade chicken stock....and some leftover cut-up chicken meat of course.  Letting myself have two bowls of it today as no breakfast and busy housecleaning here.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

That sounds great, seasonally relevant, and healthy as well  8)

Obviously, the chestnuts were only fried on a thin layer of oil and salt, not cooked in an oil sauce :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 09:49:47 AM
That sounds great, seasonally relevant, and healthy as well  8)

Obviously, the chestnuts were only roasted on a thin layer of oil and salt, not cooked in an oil sauce :)
It helps to balance off the leftover lasagna from Thanksgiving!  :D

Must admit, it's also nice to be able to freeze things like [some] soup, pasta sauce, etc.--including lasagna--for a day in which I'm feeling tired and not wanting to cook (like after a bunch of yard work or snow shoveling).  :)

PD

p.s.  What?!  No batter-dipped and deep-fried chestnuts?!  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 29, 2021, 09:54:43 AM
( ... )

p.s.  What?!  No batter-dipped and deep-fried chestnuts?!  ;)

Hope to be able to fry some later this autumn/winter, the familiy member would try to get some, or I'll have to check out groceries, but they're not particularly common on the shelves here, though we have plenty of ordinary chestnuts (which BTW, I was told yesterday, are good as some sort of soap, they were used a lot for cleaning in that way, in the old, less ressourceful days. You cut them in small pieces and then whip/dissolve them in some water, and the result is a soap, apparently).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 29, 2021, 11:03:24 AM
Hope to be able to fry some later this autumn/winter, the familiy member would try to get some, or I'll have to check out groceries, but they're not particularly common on the shelves here, though we have plenty of ordinary chestnuts (which BTW, I was told yesterday, are good as some sort of soap, they were used a lot for cleaning in that way, in the old, less ressourceful days. You cut them in small pieces and then whip/dissolve them in some water, and the result is a soap, apparently).
Interesting!  Didn't know that.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Just finished my standard Sunday breakfast:

Crab omelet
Wheat toast
Coffee & water

Not very spectacular, l know, but a welcome start to my weekend nonetheless.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on December 05, 2021, 07:17:52 AM
Just finished my standard Sunday breakfast:

Crab omelet
Wheat toast
Coffee & water

Not very spectacular, l know, but a welcome start to my weekend nonetheless.  8)
A man of tradition I see!  :)

Cheated a bit here at lunchtime:

I opened up a can of your basic Progresso lentil soup, added a small can of diced tomatoes, a roasted garlic clove, 1 bay leaf, a couple of small spoonfuls of ground cumin, some black pepper....let simmer for a while.  Last couple of minutes, I added in some fresh spinach leaves.  Then served.  Pretty tasty!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Finishing up my standard Monday brunch:

Steak
Scrambled eggs
Wheat toast
Hash browns
Coffee

Monday evenings l sing, and l find a substantial early meal has a strong psychological benefit.

Pohjolas Daughter

Trying to sort through and get rid of some excess papers.

How on earth could I have printed out so many recipes?!  :(  At some point in time, I figured out how to keep them as PDFs instead.  Trying to sort through them and see which ones I either really want to PDF (if still available), or scan into my computer.  This can take some time, however, as I then add tags to them of key ingredients, etc., and then put them into their appropriate recipe folders.  Sigh....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 16, 2021, 03:59:07 AM
This review cracked me up.  It's of a Michelin-starred restaurant.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/12/16/michelin-worst-restaurant-review-moos-pkg-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/atv-trending-videos/

PD

Food as performance art?  :laugh:
-------------
So, I am in charge of a meat dish for an annual men's social, and these guys want the most ridiculous amount of it. Would you believe this one (pictured) has smoked oysters in it, tons of garlic, in addition to the obvious bacon and loaf form? I won't even mention the goat recipe that was requested but turned down.

I've made it, but I don't think this one is for me.  :blank:

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

LKB

My usual Sunday breakfast strikes me as rather brilliant after reading the article concerning that Italian atrocity.

Crab omelet
Wheat toast
Hash browns
Water
( No coffee today, l was still working on some Starbucks when l got here. )

The reported arrogance of some " culinary artists " has, thankfully, saved me uncounted dollars by extinguishing any curiosity regarding their establishments. May it be so forever...

Brian

Crab omelet and hash browns! I'm coming over.

LKB

Quote from: Brian on December 24, 2021, 02:53:26 PM
Crab omelet and hash browns! I'm coming over.

I always eat out on weekends. If you care to join me for brunch in Menlo Park, CA. sometime, just let me know.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Making potato and leek soup--new recipe.  The work part is mostly done, once the potatoes are tender, I'll let it cool a bit and then probably use my food mill on it.  Hopefully will taste good as there will be a lot of it!  Will find out later.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Fritos!  :D

( Crab omelet planned for breakfast tomorrow  8) )

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on January 08, 2022, 12:29:36 AM
Fritos!  :D

( Crab omelet planned for breakfast tomorrow  8) )
Ah, health food!

Re omelet, don't you ever like to vary things up a bit--just for fun?

Soup came out wonderfully I'm happy to report.  I did up the amount of thyme a fair bit and upped the parsley amount a tiny bit.  Glad that I did so!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter