Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 685128 times)

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #4520 on: January 09, 2022, 08:55:20 AM »
Ah, health food!

Re omelet, don't you ever like to vary things up a bit--just for fun?

Soup came out wonderfully I'm happy to report.  I did up the amount of thyme a fair bit and upped the parsley amount a tiny bit.  Glad that I did so!

PD

Congrats on the soup!  8)

I don't vary much from any of my routines. Pretty set in my ways, I suppose.

That being said, I will be breaking routine tomorrow as some good friends are taking me to lunch.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #4521 on: January 09, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
It took 5 weeks total, but we made our very first Figgy Pudding. My in-laws are mostly teetotalers, so I didn't expect many to enjoy it, but everyone liked the lighting of the brandy (shown below). As you can see, the kids also tried their hand at gingerbread houses too.

VS
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #4522 on: January 09, 2022, 11:54:55 AM »
Congrats on the soup!  8)

I don't vary much from any of my routines. Pretty set in my ways, I suppose.

That being said, I will be breaking routine tomorrow as some good friends are taking me to lunch.  ;)
Don't recall ever having a crab omelet before.  What kind of cheese, etc. do you have in yours LKB?

Hope that you enjoy your lunch out tomorrow.  Is it a birthday treat or anything else special?  :)

It took 5 weeks total, but we made our very first Figgy Pudding. My in-laws are mostly teetotalers, so I didn't expect many to enjoy it, but everyone liked the lighting of the brandy (shown below). As you can see, the kids also tried their hand at gingerbread houses too.

VS
Congrats!  Were you pleased with how it tasted VS?  Looks gorgeous!  And nice job by your kids on the ginger bread houses too.

PD

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #4523 on: January 09, 2022, 04:39:04 PM »
Drinking: water!
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #4524 on: January 10, 2022, 01:38:10 AM »

VS

A family Christmas tradition for my grandson and myself to present a flaming Christmas pudding to the dining table. The secret is to warm the brandy in a saucepan first. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

• Veteran member
« Reply #4525 on: February 17, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
Taking a short break from KP duty.  Been cooking up a [petite] storm lately.  A couple of days ago, I made a vegetarian bean chili (Deborah Madison recipe from The Greens cookbook--roasted some butternut squash to add to it at the end and cooked some white rice to go with it too).  Today, I'm caramelizing some onions (some of which were starting to green up) in the smaller of my slow cookers [Learned that adding some butter to the bottom of it and occasionally stirring them and cooking them on low for a number of hours works surprisingly well!]; also got some chickpeas soaking and either later tonight or early tomorrow will cook a yummy Ottolenghi recipe which I'm going to adapt slightly and try doing it in a slow cooker--instead of constantly stirring it for four hours on my stovetop.  If you're interested, look up his slow-cooked chickpeas on toast with poached eggs; it's to die for!  Or if you're interested, I'll post the recipe and how I'm going to try it slightly differently this time [so as not to kill the cook].  The leftovers keep really well too.

And I also have some chicken stock going now on my stovetop (using the remains of a leftover roast chicken).

By the way, the Ottolenghi recipe is vegetarian--you could also make it vegan by skipping the poached eggs.

What have the rest of the cooks here been up to lately?   :)

PD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:15:54 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #4526 on: February 17, 2022, 08:00:46 AM »
Finishing up an omelet atm.

• Veteran member
« Reply #4527 on: February 17, 2022, 09:16:36 AM »
Finishing up an omelet atm.
Did you make it LKB or treat yourself?  And what kind?  :)

PD

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #4528 on: February 17, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)

• Veteran member
« Reply #4529 on: February 23, 2022, 06:49:04 AM »
There's a diner near my workplace, l have breakfast there twice a week. Good coffee, good omelets ( mushroom, cheddar cheese and ham today ) and outstanding steak and eggs, which I'll probably have Saturday or Sunday.  8)
Sounds like you have your own "regular" spot there (to sit).  :)

Finishing up the last of my chili (froze a bit and gave some to a friend who said that he liked it and "I don't even like chili!"  ;D

Happy with how the Ottolenghi recipe (for basically a fancy beans on toast) although things didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped.

Have two other Ottolenghi recipes that I am planning on making this week:  one is for cauliflower which you first cook for a bit in a milk and herb infused "bath" on top of the stove, then you make a sauce out for the milk and then finish it off by baking it in the oven along with some different cheeses.  The second one is a much less complicated one for roasting celeriac.

PD

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #4530 on: February 23, 2022, 07:18:59 AM »
Just arrived at the diner,  and ordered the usual omelet. Drinking coffee and reading GMG during the 5 minutes or so until breakfast is ready.  :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4531 on: June 05, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »
Chilled cut watermelon, Vermont cheddar and roasted red pepper hummus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #4532 on: June 29, 2022, 05:43:08 AM »
The girls and I will be making Cardamom Pound Cake today.

VS

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline DavidW

« Reply #4533 on: July 03, 2022, 03:56:31 PM »
Butter cauliflower.  Took an hour and a half to cook, so good thing that it was tasty and I have leftovers!

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #4534 on: July 03, 2022, 05:16:23 PM »
BBQ brisket sandwich just now.  Not an ideal choice, but better than anything l have at home atm.