What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

BorisG

Sarge and I touched on it. SOS, about 40 years ago. ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: BorisG on February 17, 2008, 01:43:05 PM

;D :D ;D

I had a great meal tonight too. We went to a favorite restaurant in the Pfalz, deep in wine country, a forty-five minute drive from our house. It's part of the Mugler winery and is situated in the estate's old coach house. We started with a magnificent cream of mussel and lobster soup and a glass of Mugler's 2006 Chardonnay. Then Mrs. Rock had Pfannekuchen, a local specialty: a thin pancake filled with liverwurst and Blutwurst. I had a steak. We drank a bottle of Mugler's 2005 Spätburgunder (pinot noir). We floated home  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: BorisG on February 17, 2008, 01:43:05 PM

Ah, yes, I believe your only, let's say less than appetizing post.  Another that jumped out was the Shepard's pie.  My mom will still make a batch and send it our way from time to time.  Carrots in one half and peas in the other, as the Mrs. does not care for the later.  Always good.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on February 17, 2008, 02:09:33 PM
Ah, yes, I believe your only, let's say less than appetizing post.  Another that jumped out was the Shepard's pie.  My mom will still make a batch and send it our way from time to time.  Carrots in one half and peas in the other, as the Mrs. does not care for the later.  Always good.

Does she use lamb or hamburger?

Bogey

Quote from: Corey on February 17, 2008, 02:23:36 PM
Does she use lamb or hamburger?

Hamburger Corey.  My wife will not touch lamb or any other meat she did not eat as a child.

George

Small cheese whole wheat pizza.

Extra Ginger Reeds ginger Brew.  8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 17, 2008, 02:04:56 PM
.....We started with a magnificent cream of mussel and lobster soup and a glass of Mugler's 2006 Chardonnay. Then Mrs. Rock had Pfannekuchen, a local specialty: a thin pancake filled with liverwurst and Blutwurst. I had a steak. We drank a bottle of Mugler's 2005 Spätburgunder (pinot noir). We floated home.......  ;D

Sarge - sounds like a wonderful meal!  Have not had a German Pinot Noir in ages, but sounds superb w/ you choice of steak - anything 'special' about the beef in that area?

For me tonight, just a quick dinner out at our 'mountain bistro' up the road - had one of the specials for the night, grilled mahi-mahi w/ a light cajun topping along w/ a few veggies (spinach & asparagus, sauteed w/ just some garlic & oil); plus, a few glasses of Pinot Gris from the King Estate in Oregon - simple but delicious!  :)

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on February 17, 2008, 02:31:25 PM
Hamburger Corey.  My wife will not touch lamb or any other meat she did not eat as a child.

Someone recently told me that shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and that the variety made with beef is actually cottage pie. I've always had it with beef and we called it shepherd's pie. I guess it depends on where you grew up.

Bogey

Quote from: Corey on February 17, 2008, 02:42:27 PM
Someone recently told me that shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and that the variety made with beef is actually cottage pie. I've always had it with beef and we called it shepherd's pie. I guess it depends on where you grew up.

That would seem to make sense....but with beef, why not call it Cowboy pie.  ;)

Lady Chatterley

Beef tenderloin,asparagus,squash,jasmine scented brown rice .

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on February 17, 2008, 02:49:31 PM
That would seem to make sense....but with beef, why not call it Cowboy pie.  ;)

You wouldn't get me to eat anything called a cowboy pie.  ;D

Anne

Hot homemade lemonaide for my sore throat.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on February 18, 2008, 05:43:49 PM
Hot homemade lemonaide for my sore throat.

Anne - hope that you're feeling better soon!  :(

Tonight, wife (Susan) did a wonderful shrimp dish steamed in parchment paper w/ some great spices/herbs + some simple veggies - had some Knunde '06 Viognier, new release that was excellent!  :)

Lethevich

My family have always called cottage pie shepherd's pie as well. Speaking of which, I haven't eaten that in a long time, I will try to make one soon :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on February 17, 2008, 02:40:31 PM
Sarge - sounds like a wonderful meal!  Have not had a German Pinot Noir in ages, but sounds superb w/ you choice of steak - anything 'special' about the beef in that area?

Nothing special about the beef I had at the restaurant. As we've discussed once before in this thread (here or at the old forum), many places in Germany serve Argentinian beef and that's what I had. But our village butcher offers "bio-beef", meaning it's raised locally and naturally, grass fed, no hormones added, etc. When we make hamburgers we usually buy from him. The beef is ground to order. We can see it being made and know it's fresh.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"