What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: George on March 12, 2008, 09:31:25 PM
Organic Amaranth Flakes

Organic Almond Milk

It's better than it sounds.  :)

You see, I've never had to say somthing like this pertaining to, say, bacon. ;D :D :o :P ;).

I kid, I kid,
Allan

George

Quote from: toledobass on March 13, 2008, 05:26:16 AM
You see, I've never had to say somthing like this pertaining to, say, bacon. ;D :D :o :P ;).

I kid, I kid,
Allan

Speaking of Bacon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX1Nh6c80wo

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Papageno on March 13, 2008, 03:54:11 AM
You've got your wine-glass on the wrong side, it should be on the right of your dish.

But there is no mouse in Sonic Man's dinner so one out of two ain't bad  ;D

orbital

Spinach Fettucini topped with with cherry tomatoes, oil cured pitted black olives, crumbled feta cheese, oregano, crushed red peppers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Light and delicious. Plus 1 1/2 liters of Coke Zero  :-[ :-[ It must be the olives and feta  :-[

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Papageno on March 13, 2008, 03:54:11 AM
You've got your wine-glass on the wrong side, it should be on the right of your dish.

Mine's always on the left side. When you're a leftie, that's where it's supposed to be  ;)

MURIEL: this is a delicious moussaka recipe. I'll try it next time. I normally top it with a heavy bechamel. Not my favourite, but all the Greeks I know use that. I suspect it's a simplification. Your idea of egg yolks, yogurt and lemon juice makes more ethnic-culinary sense! :D Do you sprinkle with oregano? I heartily approve of the ground lamb instead of the more facile ground beef, and of course the nutmeg 0:).

DAVE: I just bought an Oregon red while vacationing in NC, but I know nothing about it:
2004 Goose Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon from Columbia Valley. Did I choose wisely?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Muriel on March 13, 2008, 05:08:31 PM
But there is no mouse in Sonic Man's dinner so one out of two ain't bad  ;D

Muriel - LOL  ;D!  Yep, I gave up on mice years ago, although I'm sure Shrek could provide some decent recipes, along w/ other 'swamp' critters (which we actually love to eat!  Frog legs, turtle, crabs, alligator - what else?).

Well, I could claim that I'm 'left-handed', but not true - actually, my wife sits to my right @ that table & has a tendency to 'knock over' glasses, so I do keep the glass on the left - just call me 'ambidextrous'!  ;) :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 13, 2008, 06:49:14 PM
Mine's always on the left side. When you're a leftie, that's where it's supposed to be  ;)

DAVE: I just bought an Oregon red while vacationing in NC, but I know nothing about it:
2004 Goose Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon from Columbia Valley. Did I choose wisely?

André - yep, I've gotten use to picking up a wine glass w/ either hand - takes years of practice, though!  ;) ;D

I've heard of the Goose Ridge Winery in the Columbia Vly region (not sure if they are located in Oregon and/or Washington State - both states claim some of that river valley); however, I've not purchased or tatsted any of their wines (assume the one you bought is pictured below, or does it say Cabernet Sauvignon?) - please post your impressions in the wine thread (need to return to that one myself!) - BTW, hope that you enjoyed your visit to North Carolina - did you taste any of the wines from the Old North State?  Most are not that good @ the moment, but 'surprises' can be found - Dave  :)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 13, 2008, 06:49:14 PM

MURIEL: this is a delicious moussaka recipe. I'll try it next time. I normally top it with a heavy bechamel. Not my favourite, but all the Greeks I know use that. I suspect it's a simplification. Your idea of egg yolks, yogurt and lemon juice makes more ethnic-culinary sense! :D Do you sprinkle with oregano? I heartily approve of the ground lamb instead of the more facile ground beef, and of course the nutmeg 0:).

Yogurt,egg yolk,lemon and nutmeg form the traditional and authentic topping for moussaka,a thick bechamel has no place in this dish.I have seen recipes that use a cheese topping as well,this is a disaster and abomination .Lamb is preferred but it must be browned and well drained of fat as that is where the gamey flavour comes from.It's perfectly acceptable to use ground beef and ground lamb blended for a somewhat lighter taste.If you like you may bake the eggplant (cut in half ,cut side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet)it should take about 25 min to caramelize,then cool it chop it up and layer it with the sliced potatoes and the meat,frying slices of eggplant in oil simply adds far too much fat and spoils the dish in my opinion.Also if one uses long Asian eggplants rather that the Greek bulbous variety there is no need to salt and drain it as this variety is not at all bitter.

Lilas Pastia

Thanks for the advice, Muriel. There is a large greek community where I live. I have 6 female greek co-workers and they all use bechamel in their mousaka (I asked today ;D). I think they go for the shortcut. If I'm not mistaken that combination of yogurt and lemon juice is called avgolemono? I'd have to check for the asian eggplants, what do they look like? I've seen all shapes and colours at the store.

Dave, this is the same, but mine is a Cabernet Sauvignon. The one you show was some 15$, so I would assume that for 26$ I'll get a decent product. I'm just not sure if the outlay is justified. Methink that a California CS of the same price might probably be better. I went for the 'exoticism' :D. I should taste that in a month or two.

I bought that in Burlington Vt, where I had left my car. That's why I made the heavy purchases there when returning. I don't know how that could be, but prices seemed to be at least 50% higher than in NC. The only NC wine I tasted was a white zinfandel from Biltmore Estate - almost a rosé actually. Pleasant, but no more.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 14, 2008, 03:29:15 PM
Dave, this is the same, but mine is a Cabernet Sauvignon. The one you show was some 15$, so I would assume that for 26$ I'll get a decent product. I'm just not sure if the outlay is justified. Methink that a California CS of the same price would have probably be better. I went for the 'exoticism' :D. I should taste that in a month or two.
The only NC wine I tasted was a white zinfandel from Biltmore Estate - almost a rosé actually. Pleasant, but no more.

André - I saw that their Cabernet Sauvignon of '05 was selling for the price that you mentioned - I would suspect that this will be an excellent wine, I guess the problem is 'when' to drink it?  Probably quite good @ present despite being young - might improve over the next couple or so years, but you would need a number of bottles to drink over that period of time to test the aging potential - not sure what to recommend - I'd probably give it a try now, and if felt to have some 'aging potential' buy a few more bottles?  My best guess?  :-\

Sorry that you did not have some more NC wines - despite liking many wines from the Biltmore Estate, the 'white zin' is probably not the best example of what is goin' on in the state; the reds from NC are pretty much 'hit & miss', i.e. many have been rather poor to decent IMO, with a couple not too bad; the whites have shown much greater promise, but again 'taste first', then decide to buy!  :D   Dave

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 14, 2008, 03:29:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, Muriel. There is a large greek community where I live. I have 6 female greek co-workers and they all use bechamel in their mousaka (I asked today ;D). I think they go for the shortcut. If I'm not mistaken that combination of yogurt and lemon juice is called avgolemono? I'd have to check for the asian eggplants, what do they look like? I've seen all shapes and colours at the store.

Just try to imagine what the Greek granny has in her pantry,not butter,not wheat flour and not milk.She has yogurt ,lemons and eggs.How blending these three fresh ingredients is less effort that cooking a thick white sauce is beyond my understanding.

Avgolemono is a lovely soup of clear chicken stock,egg yolks and lemon,there is no yogurt in this dish.The Greeks can thank the Turks for this staple of the Middle Eastern pantry(and for the coffee after dinner as well).

Lilas Pastia

You're right, I remember now, avgolemono is a soup. No yogurt.

orbital

Dim Sum here:

Probably the best in the city. $4.95 for 8 vegetable ones offered as an appetizer does not leave much space for anything else.

Bogey

A few of these, until I read the nutrion label.  >:(  Do they make them without the added oil?

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on March 16, 2008, 03:11:17 PM
Dim Sum here:

Probably the best in the city.

And how is their Hip Chop, hopefully better than at that Alpha place?

Morigan

Quote from: Bill in the Rockies on March 16, 2008, 03:26:15 PM
A few of these, until I read the nutrion label.  >:(  Do they make them without the added oil?

No. you know why? Because bananas can't be dried up like that. They have to fry them or they just shrivel and turn black

Bogey

I am surprised that they have not developed some artificial chemical to maintain them. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

After our matinee today, I made a nice lasagna for a few friends. Of course, I slathered it in bechamel/balsamella in part due to Lilas' and Muriel's recent discussions. ;D

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: orbital on March 16, 2008, 03:11:17 PM
Dim Sum
Probably the best in the city. $4.95 for 8 vegetable ones offered as an appetizer does not leave much space for anything else.

It seems like I'm only warming up after my first 8 pieces of dim sum. >:D ;D :D

Allan