What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on March 24, 2008, 05:00:24 PM
Back in 2004 we spent a few days and nights in the Colmar region...

So did we!...2004. That's when we bought a case of that Schoenenbourg Riesling. We spent nights in Ribeauville and Kayersberg and visited Riquewihr and Colmar. I'll dig out some of my photographs and post them later.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

uffeviking

Had this one for dinner, and salad with tomato, English cucumber, bib lettuce and some green olives stuffed with garlic, tossed with garlic-flavoured Greek olive oil and French Tarragon wine vinegar:

toledobass

On Bogey's request, heart of pig with fingerlings and cognac:

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on March 29, 2008, 06:40:34 AM
On Bogey's request, heart of pig with fingerlings and cognac:

Allan - the final pic looks pretty good!  ;D  Did you enjoy the dish?  I'm not into 'solid' organs much anymore, but used to 'sample' kidneys, heart, & sweetbreads; still love the latter (as does my wife), but just don't order the dishes anymore -  :D

Tonight a 'special' @ my local 'Mountain Bistro' - elk tenderloin grilled medium rare w/ a salad & asparagus + a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir - have not had this 'animal' in a while - delicious - a little more mild & tender than the venison that I often have there!  :)

toledobass

Sonic,

I did enjoy the dish.  I actually loved it. The heart has a mild porky taste and the texture is awsome.  Very smooth and velvety and tender.  I also tried out a kidney dish but I didn't really enjoy that one.  I'm sure I overcooked them because they were rubbery as all hell.  I love sweetbreads too.  I always order them but I've never tried cooking with them myself.  I'll have to work on that.

Allan

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on March 30, 2008, 02:29:19 PM
- elk tenderloin grilled medium rare

This majestic animal does look great in it's habitat, where he belongs - not on anybody's dinner plate!  :'(

matti

Quote from: uffeviking on March 30, 2008, 06:52:36 PM
This majestic animal does look great in it's habitat, where he belongs - not on anybody's dinner plate!  :'(

Also the collision can be rather majestic when you hit the animal with a car. Too many of those up here, a real hazard. Plus they carry a certain bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoptena_cervi) - a real nuisance, keeps many people out of forests and hence mushrooms and berries remain unpicked.

uffeviking

Hello Matti!  :-*

Good to have you back, even if we disagree a bit. Shouldn't go fishing either, should you? But then what would you feed your visitors from foreign countries?  ???

Lis

маразм1

sunflower seeds...left over from Purim.  hahaha  They're addictive!! >:D

SonicMan46

Quote from: matti on March 31, 2008, 01:38:41 AM
Also the collision can be rather majestic when you hit the animal with a car. Too many of those up here, a real hazard. Plus they carry a certain bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoptena_cervi) - a real nuisance, keeps many people out of forests and hence mushrooms and berries remain unpicked.

Lis - Matti is right about these large hoofed beasts & cars - below a pic of a female (not a bull!) moose collision w/ a car (driver escaped unhurt, amazingly); so, best to get some of these animals off the streets and onto our dinner plates -  ;D   Dave

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on March 31, 2008, 09:03:56 AM
Lis - Matti is right about these large hoofed beasts & cars - below a pic of a female (not a bull!) moose collision w/ a car (driver escaped unhurt, amazingly); so, best to get some of these animals off the streets and onto our dinner plates -  ;D   Dave

Because the elk have overpopulated other areas, authorities have relocated some of the them to Michigan.  There is a regular hunting season for them.  My brother-in-law got one a few years ago.

Lady Chatterley

I'm just off to the shops to see what looks good,I've never seen elk tenderloin for sale at my market, We will have to settle for halibut.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Anne on March 31, 2008, 10:31:11 AM
Because the elk have overpopulated other areas, authorities have relocated some of the them to Michigan.  There is a regular hunting season for them.  My brother-in-law got one a few years ago.

Hi Anne - same event happening in the western part of North Carolina - NC Elk - not sure 'how many' are currently here, but they are reproducing at surprisingly high rates - deer is by far the most popular sport animal in this state (and a common cause of car collisions, over 17,000 in 2005!) - I often order venison at that restuarant mentioned, although there is a superb North Carolina trout offering (another fav of mine!) - last night, another special was a blackened wahoo fish (pic below - BTW, the human is not me!  ;)), which really tempted me, but decided on the the elk -  :D

BorisG

Pretty tame.

Anne

Quote from: SonicMan on March 31, 2008, 02:03:42 PM
Hi Anne - same event happening in the western part of North Carolina - NC Elk - not sure 'how many' are currently here, but they are reproducing at surprisingly high rates - deer is by far the most popular sport animal in this state (and a common cause of car collisions, over 17,000 in 2005!) - I often order venison at that restuarant mentioned, although there is a superb North Carolina trout offering (another fav of mine!) - last night, another special was a blackened wahoo fish (pic below - BTW, the human is not me!  ;)), which really tempted me, but decided on the the elk -  :D

Beautiful picture of that fish!  Deer hunting is very popular in N. Michigan.  Some businesses simply close on opening day (Nov. 15).

One year my husband had an encounter with a deer 3 days before hunting season on the highway.  Deer came from the side of the highway to cross it but not enough time.  Result?  Deer attempted to jump over the car, didn't make it and slammed into the driver's windshield creating a 24-inch diameter hole right in the middle of the glass.  Ever wonder why the glass in the windshield of a vehicle is made of 2 pieces of glass with a layer of plastic sandwiched in the middle?  The deer stayed outside the vehicle but the front seat had a lot of deer hair.  My husband was fine. 

Lilas Pastia

In New Brunswick where my daughter lives, deer and esp. elk encounters of the too close kind are the most common cause of road fatality. An elk is like a cow on giraffe legs so when you hit it, the body is level with the windshield. At high speed, the car is positively decapitated.

This  is a young male

And this is an old one: .