What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Gustav on April 04, 2008, 11:19:59 PM
yuck!

Yes, that looks absolutely disgusting. Can I have it?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 04, 2008, 05:54:19 PM
OUT: anything alive...

I've always wanted to try qagh, the Klingon speciality ;D: Qagh is a dish of serpent worms, best when served live. In preparing the dish, the worms are fed diluted animal blood, which the worms find unappealing and will eat only when they are starving. Just before serving, the now ravenous worms are placed in a thick sauce. The worms eat the sauce, including an herb ingredient that is toxic to them and kills them in just a few minutes. Leftover qagh is served as a stew.

Quotewith more than 4 legs...

In Korea roasted beetles are consumed like popcorn at movie theaters. I didn't find the beetles particularly appealing (odd smell, dusty taste) but I ate them. I'll eat anything once. I had fried tree bark, sprinkled with sugar, while staying at the Chungdung Buddhist monastery atop Mari Mountain on Kangwa island off the coast of Korea.

My most recent disgusting food experience was a dish of Wellfleisch I ordered the last time we visited Bavaria. Mrs. Rock warned me against it but I'm both brave and a fool. Wellfleisch is boiled pig parts...the parts normal people don't want. The snout was....chewy.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

greg

Quote from: BorisG on April 04, 2008, 08:36:43 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm  0:) 0:) 0:)
i want the whole basket, and a few more.....

Papy Oli

A nice slice of Carrot and Orange cake like this one :

0:)
Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: papy on April 05, 2008, 10:46:32 AM
A nice slice of Carrot and Orange cake like this one :

Absolutely love carrot cake!  But, don't look up the calories, esp. on a tall & big piece -  ;) ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: SonicMan on April 05, 2008, 10:58:04 AM
Absolutely love carrot cake!  But, don't look up the calories, esp. on a tall & big piece -  ;) ;D

i have only had a thin small one..... or 2....

Besides, that's only carrot & orange... that's 2 parts of your five-a-day...so, technically, if i have a second slice, that's 4/5 taken care of....now, if i get one more half-slice..... 0:)
Olivier

Peregrine

Just roasted a fantastic organic, free range chicken. Smothered in butter, tarragon, a sumptuous Italian lemon, salt and pepper. Had a Romaine lettuce and tomatoes on the side. Will boil and simmer the carcass tomorrow to make some risotto stock.
Yes, we have no bananas

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 05, 2008, 05:51:51 AM

My most recent disgusting food experience was a dish of Wellfleisch I ordered the last time we visited Bavaria. Mrs. Rock warned me against it but I'm both brave and a fool. Wellfleisch is boiled pig parts...the parts normal people don't want. The snout was....chewy.

Sarge

Wellfleisch is known around here as amourettes. I know it exists, but I've never met anyone who actually ate the stuff. I was beginning to think it was an urban legend... :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on April 05, 2008, 10:58:04 AM

For me, there is no other cake than fresh Carrot Cake.  8)

Me, I am eating some fresh, ripe Mango. Mmmmmmmmm.

uffeviking

George, is there an easy way to get all the flesh off the mango? I pull off the skin and end up with both hands dripping with delicious juice but hardly any flesh comes off that huge pit.  >:(

George

Quote from: uffeviking on April 05, 2008, 07:23:34 PM
George, is there an easy way to get all the flesh off the mango? I pull off the skin and end up with both hands dripping with delicious juice but hardly any flesh comes off that huge pit.  >:(

I feel your sticky pain.  ;D

I usually just buy it at a local store, where the staff seem to have the knack of it. Plus, I like it cold.  :)

Bogey

Quote from: uffeviking on April 05, 2008, 07:23:34 PM

This may, or may not, be helpful. :)

http://startcooking.com/blog/217/How-to-Peel-a-Mango
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

uffeviking

Thank you, Bogey! It sounds and looks helpful but - the moment I start peeling, the juice already starts dripping. Look at the hands of the cook in the demonstration: Clean, dry! His peel comes off nice and neat; my peelings always have lots of flesh sticking to them! When I see those lovely globes in the produce section, maybe I should remember the difficulties of getting at the innards - and buy a papaya instead!

Keemun

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2008, 08:54:36 PM
This may, or may not, be helpful. :)

http://startcooking.com/blog/217/How-to-Peel-a-Mango

Bogey, thanks for posting that.  I'll have to give it a try the next time I buy mangos.  I'll admit, sometimes I avoid purchasing them because they're such a pain in the ass to prepare.

~~~~~~~~~

I had this for breakfast:

It was my first time trying steel cut oatmeal.  I was surprised at how much better it tastes than regular rolled oats. Of course it took about 45 minutes to make, so it's not going to be a daily breakfast item.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

George

Quote from: uffeviking on April 06, 2008, 07:24:39 AM
Thank you, Bogey! It sounds and looks helpful but - the moment I start peeling, the juice already starts dripping. Look at the hands of the cook in the demonstration: Clean, dry! His peel comes off nice and neat; my peelings always have lots of flesh sticking to them! When I see those lovely globes in the produce section, maybe I should remember the difficulties of getting at the innards - and buy a papaya instead!

Maybe yours are a tad too ripe?

George

Quote from: Keemun on April 06, 2008, 07:38:36 AM
Bogey, thanks for posting that.  I'll have to give it a try the next time I buy mangos.  I'll admit, sometimes I avoid purchasing them because they're such a pain in the ass to prepare.

~~~~~~~~~

I had this for breakfast:

It was my first time trying steel cut oatmeal.  I was surprised at how much better it tastes than regular rolled oats. Of course it took about 45 minutes to make, so it's not going to be a daily breakfast item.

Yeah, steel cut is great! Mmmmmmmm.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 05, 2008, 02:44:44 PM
Wellfleisch is known around here as amourettes

What a beautiful sounding name for such a thoroughly gross dish.

I know it exists, but I've never met anyone who actually ate the stuff. I was beginning to think it was an urban legend... :D

No legend, dude. It's real. Be afraid, very afraid  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"