What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

Quote from: orbital on April 18, 2008, 08:14:33 PM
Tribeca probably has the highest concentration of better and (more expensive) restaurants in town. Was the Mexican place in Tribeca? Do you recall the name?

Yes, it was in Tribeca just around the corner from the hotel, but no, we simply went to too many places, so I don't recall the name. But that's what we have google for these days!  :D

The place is called Centrico. I inhaled a Seafood Ceviche, Pato en Manchamanteles (roasted duck breast, spicy red fruit sauce, roasted delicata squash) and Molten Mexican Chocolate Cake (choco-chile salsa, helado de maĆ­z), man that was all so good (and expensive...), I feel very guilty now  ;D

But I just learned that I am going back to work on preparations for the Tribeca Film Festival next week, so I guess I may have to go back there...  0:)

orbital

Yep, I've been there, but came out hungry (they are not exactly vegetarian friendly  :P). If you are into steak there is a Brazilian place right next to it which is famous for its scrumptious meats. I've only been there for drinks but the food is supposed to be very good.

M forever

Being a vegetarian is a silly idea anyway. If we aren't supposed to eat meat, why do we have fangs? And if we aren't supposed to eat animals, how come they are made out of meat? Yes, it's a cruel world in which animals eat each other, but that's the way it is!

We also went to the Brazilian place, but it was later at night and they only had meat skewer appetizers at that time, so we took off and went to another place.

We went to this Italian ristorante right next to the hotel a few times, it was great, too. Real Italian food, like in Italy!

Bogey

Quote from: M forever on April 19, 2008, 03:24:40 PM
Being a vegetarian is a silly idea anyway. If we aren't supposed to eat meat, why do we have fangs? And if we aren't supposed to eat animals, how come they are made out of meat? Yes, it's a cruel world in which animals eat each other, but that's the way it is!

We also went to the Brazilian place, but it was later at night and they only had meat skewer appetizers at that time, so we took off and went to another place.

We went to this Italian ristorante right next to the hotel a few times, it was great, too. Real Italian food, like in Italy!

Have you come across any bakeries that sell "real" bread yet M?  I just had some bread the other night made by my daughter's teacher who is from, I believe, Serbia.  She used her gradmother's recipe and the children helped make it.  Best bread I have ever put in my mouth.  Heavy enough that I bet if I had a whole loaf I could throw it through a well made windshield.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

3 eggs

2 slices of sprouted grain toast with plum jam

8)

M forever

Quote from: Bogey on April 19, 2008, 03:40:17 PM
Have you come across any bakeries that sell "real" bread yet M?

Yes, believe it or not, there are some here in Boston! I know, it is hard to believe, and soooo un-American to offer quality bread baked by craftsmen instead of industrial crap that tastes like stale sponges, but they still have some quality bakeries here. I am sure the big corporations are already planning to crush them!!!

Bogey

Quote from: M forever on April 19, 2008, 04:20:10 PM
Yes, believe it or not, there are some here in Boston! I know, it is hard to believe, and soooo un-American to offer quality bread baked by craftsmen instead of industrial crap that tastes like stale sponges, but they still have some quality bakeries here. I am sure the big corporations are already planning to crush them!!!

Do you recall what they had that caught you attention?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

M forever

Quote from: Bogey on April 19, 2008, 04:32:48 PM
Do you recall what they had that caught you attention?

Yes - real bread!

SonicMan46

Well, today was my birthday, April 19 (being a 'history NUT' - same day in 1775 as the Battle of Lexington & Concord & about a week after Fort Sumter in 1861 -  :D)!

LOML made me a nice dinner - Chinese roasted chicken (marinated overnight w/ a sauce that really 'tenderizes' the meat & gives it a 'smoky flavor' - quite delicious) along w/ steamed bok choy - dessert just some fresh blackberries w/ a fresh lemon sauce (including some lemon zest!) - this dish is best w/ a light to medium body red wine, usually prefer a Pinot Noir, but had some older Chilean reds in the cellar, so picked a '03 Merlot from Concha y Toro (Casa Concha, Peumo Vyd) - had been aging for a couple of years in the basement - a nice choice!  ;D

MN Dave

Quote from: SonicMan on April 19, 2008, 05:37:44 PM
Well, today was my birthday, April 19 (being a 'history NUT' - same day in 1775 as the Battle of Lexington & Concord & about a week after Fort Sumter in 1861 -  :D)!

LOML made me a nice dinner - Chinese roasted chicken (marinated overnight w/ a sauce that really 'tenderizes' the meat & gives it a 'smoky flavor' - quite delicious) along w/ steamed bok choy - dessert just some fresh blackberries w/ a fresh lemon sauce (including some lemon zest!) - this dish is best w/ a light to medium body red wine, usually prefer a Pinot Noir, but had some older Chilean reds in the cellar, so picked a '03 Merlot from Concha y Toro (Casa Concha, Peumo Vyd) - had been aging for a couple of years in the basement - a nice choice!  ;D

Happy birthday, Dave!!

SonicMan46

Thanks, Guys about the BD greetings!  :D

I usually don't 'advertise' that day @ my age, but slipped it into the great dinner - appreciate the wishes - Dave  :-*

Lilas Pastia

Many  happy returns, Dave !  :D

Anne

Happy Birthday, Dave! and many more to come.

Bogey

Wrong take and cake, but Happy birthday Dave.

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on April 19, 2008, 05:37:44 PM

I couldn't resist going into the details of the wines in this authentic New York Italian restaurant visited by our M forever. Look what I found, one of your favourites, a wine from Oregon! At that price?

PINOT NOIR "ARCUS ESTATE" 
Oregon '01 Archerry Summit $160.00 

Happy Birthday!  :-*

Lis

toledobass

Happy Birthday Dave!!!!!!!

Allan

SonicMan46

Just getting back online for a Sunday morn - thanks all for the BD wishes - nice to hear from all of you!  Dave  ;D

Lilas Pastia

Tomorrow is my birthday ;D, and the best present I could get is the Montreal Canadiens beating the Boston Bruins in the 7th game.

I'll be wearing my jersey for the occasion  :D

orbital

Quote from: M forever on April 19, 2008, 03:24:40 PM

I don't think we are not supposed to eat meat, I don't think we are supposed to either. I agree, our jaws are probably well suited for consuming meat (so are the chimpanzees' but they don't eat meat unless they have to).

I have not heard the Italian you mention, but there are so many good ones to choose from, my definite recommendation would be Il Buco Il Buco(on Bond Street). Very limited menu but you don't really need much else.