What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

I made meat loaf tonight.  I spiced it up a little though.  Used some poblano peppers in the loaf and glazed it with chipotles and honey instead of catsup.  Yummyness.

Allan

Jay F

Quote from: toledobass on March 30, 2009, 07:10:13 PM
I made meat loaf tonight.  I spiced it up a little though.  Used some poblano peppers in the loaf and glazed it with chipotles and honey instead of catsup.  Yummyness.

Allan
Did you get rid of all the seeds, etc., in the poblanos? And did you use dried poblanos or what?

toledobass

SonicMan46

Susan & I just returned from our first 'short' vacation of 2009 - stayed at the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, just south of Jacksonville, FL (only 4 nights but could have done a couple more) - the first & last nights, we dined @ the Seahorse Grille on the property - if interested, check the link for menu options - the view was wonderful, i.e. 2nd floor level on the Atlantic Ocean w/ the surf & the birds:

First night, we shared the Lobster Taco & Seared Tuna appetizers; main course for me was the Sautéed Florida Grouper w/ a wonderful Mint Basil Risotto - Susan had the special - Duck Breast w/ Foie Gras - no complaints!

Last night, we shared the Beef Carpaccio & Blue Crab Cake - both delicious!  Main course for me was the Sautéed Red Snapper - Susan had the rack of lamb (she seems to be a 'red meat' bone woman!) - both dinners, I had some white wines (Chardonnay & French Pouilly-Fumé) -  :D

Our second night after a day in some Jacksonville attractions (will report in the 'vacation thread' later) we decided to eat at Roy's Restaurant - this is a good Hawaiian 'fusion' chain that we've tried before - I stuck w/ sushi/shashmi - California Roll w/ real crab & a LARGE spicy tuna roll surrounded by different fish + a mixed order of shashmi, which included salmon, yellowtail,  & tuna w/ some nice seaweed salad - YES, I love this STUFF - sorry!  ;D

Our third night (really late afternoon) - we were in St. Augustine (spent a day & a half in that 'oldest' European American city - again, future post in the 'vacation thread') - had an 'early' dinner at the Columbia Restaurant on St. George Street in the old part of town - this is a Floridian Chain, but quite good - decided to have a Tapas Lunch/Dinner - Langostinos, Scallops, & Beef Empalados, followed by some delicious desserts, Flan & Key Lime Pie, which were outstanding (and we've had plenty of both over the years).

Overall, this was a wonderful 'eating' experience, and did not even mention our 'light & delightful' luncheons after a few exercise mornings @ the resort!  Had a good time & want to return soon -  :)

toledobass

just got back from a birthday celebration dinner at Real Seafood.
Had a bowl of NE clam chowder the some steamed mussels w/french fries.  Good time and pretty good food.

Allan

jlaurson

Autonomous Happiness is key when others won't play along.

And food is probably the easiest way to achieve this.

What you can't tell from these pictures is the PERFECT spring weather, lukewarm wind... and the afternoon spent in the forest, reading about Haydn and (literally) pulling out trees.

Just some bread, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts & cold cuts and a beer.

toledobass

sounds perfect....I love it.

Allan

Brünnhilde forever

Can't quite make out the label on the beer. Paulanerbräu? Next to the Bretzen, I missed the Aufschnitt! Tried some luncheon meats when we first arrived here and ran into the American obsession with sugar. Braunschweiger made with sugar??? Yuck!

Should be honest and admit to solving my cold cuts problem by ordering the real thing from a German company near Chicago: Stiglmeier's!  ;)

Brünnhilde forever

That's what I am talking about:

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 02, 2009, 08:38:32 PM
Can't quite make out the label on the beer.

Augustiner.

Funny company. I tried to get a PR person to do an interview for a feature article on that stuff [to be written by C.M.]... and they just said: "We don't do PR".

Unfortunately their beer is good (though I like this perhaps even better, these days), so I can't boycott them for their stupidity.

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: jlaurson on April 03, 2009, 01:35:07 AM
Augustiner.

and they just said: "We don't do PR".

If they can refuse interviews, - advertisement - business must be excellent. I have never seen Augustiner on our shelves, Hofbräu reigns. But there is Ayinger, which was totally new to me, but not any more; that's the beer I drink when I want some after a few hours in the garden during our hot summer. Have you ever heard of it, or is it a special brew for the American customers only? Can't send a picture, I am out of it right now.   :'(

- Snowing up in the mountains, a few flakes during my morning walk and hot summer a long time away! -

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 03, 2009, 10:35:20 AM
Ayinger, which was totally new to me,

Ayinger is SOO much better than Hofbraeu (which I'd never buy...  unless stranded in the Beer desert and that being the only choice apart from headache-brews like Sam Adams or ....-water like Corona or Heineken [although Dutch Heineken is a bit better than the North American version)).

No... wait... HB is OK... not great but drinkable. It was Loewenbraeu I was thinking of.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on April 03, 2009, 01:22:19 PM
No... wait... HB is OK... not great but drinkable. It was Loewenbraeu I was thinking of.

In 1986-87 I was stationed in Munich (lived in the army's Perlacher Forest housing area). Löwenbräu was my least my favorite beer. Odd, actually, because, to an American, it's possibly the most famous brand of German beer but I recall being very disappointed when I finally tasted the real thing (i.e., unpasturized, unlike the stuff that passes for Löwenbräu in the States).

Spaten Export was my fave then. Mrs. Rock and I spent many spring and summer weekends at the Waldwirtshaft Großhesselohe (the Wa-Wi), cycling through the forest, crossing the Isar to get there. Wonderful beer (Spaten), food and atmosphere (the forest setting by the river, the jazz bands).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Last night's dinner: I braised a leg of lamb. Slow cooked it (five hours) with carrots, onions, potatoes and two dozen cloves of garlic.

Bordeaux was used for cooking and accompanying the meal: a St. Emilion grand cru went into the pot; we drank a 1991 Château Léoville Barton (a 2nd growth St. Julien).

Tonight Mrs. Rock is cooking Indian.  8)

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2009, 08:21:15 AM
In 1986-87 I was stationed in Munich (lived in the army's Perlacher Forest housing area). Löwenbräu was my least my favorite beer. Odd, actually, because, to an American, it's possibly the most famous brand of German beer but I recall being very disappointed when I finally tasted the real thing (i.e., unpasturized, unlike the stuff that passes for Löwenbräu in the States).

Spaten Export was my fave then. Mrs. Rock and I spent many spring and summer weekends at the Waldwirtshaft Großhesselohe (the Wa-Wi), cycling through the forest, crossing the Isar to get there. Wonderful beer (Spaten), food and atmosphere (the forest setting by the river, the jazz bands).

That's where I live, these days... right between the Isar (10 walking minutes) and the Perlacher Forst (1 1/2 blocks). A bit south of the Army housing area. Love WaWi... enjoying a Radler, overlooking the Isar from far above and having some cut of meat my lovely American lass would initially find gross but surprisingly tasty. (Pig-knuckles, ususally.  ;D )

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2009, 10:18:35 AM
Last night's dinner: I braised a leg of lamb. Slow cooked it (five hours) with carrots, onions, potatoes and two dozen cloves of garlic.

Bordeaux was used for cooking and accompanying the meal: a St. Emilion grand cru went into the pot; we drank a 1991 Château Léoville Barton (a 2nd growth St. Julien)................

Sarge - love those 'slow-cooked' legs & shanks of various animals!  ;D  Dish looks great!

Believe that I had a half-case of the '91 Ch.  Léoville Barton (or a similarily dated vintage) - gone now - working on my mid-90 Bordeaux @ the moment (and not much left of that!) - Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on April 04, 2009, 01:56:02 PM
Believe that I had a half-case of the '91 Ch.  Léoville Barton (or a similarily dated vintage) - gone now - working on my mid-90 Bordeaux @ the moment (and not much left of that!) - Dave

I bought a full case of the Léoville when it was released (1994?). In general 1991 was a mediocre vintage in Bordeaux but the Léoville was one of the best wines produced that year...one critic even called it the best, beating out the first growths. A good investment in any case. The wine has matured well. It was really tasty young but it's sensational now that its fully mature. I have five bottles left.

Quote from: jlaurson on April 04, 2009, 10:21:45 AM
Love WaWi... enjoying a Radler, overlooking the Isar from far above and having some cut of meat my lovely American lass would initially find gross but surprisingly tasty. (Pig-knuckles, ususally.  ;D )

;D :D ;D ...I recall my first encounter with Wellfleisch. Mrs. Rock warned me against it but I was brave...and stupid. The pig's snout was especially disgusting  :D

Ah memories...sitting above the Isar with a Maß, watching the large rafts with their crowds of drinkers and bands floating by.

Sarge

Jay F

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2009, 10:18:35 AM

What sort of pot is that, calphalon?

SonicMan46

Our usual Sunday night @ our 'mountain bistro' down the road:

Special tonight - Grilled Pampano w/ a light shrimp/lobster piccata sauce + a side of asparagus - just light & tasty -  :D

Couple of glasses of King Estate Pinot Gris from Oregon, my usual selection there w/ seafood!

P.S. I have no relationship w/ the two guys holding that pampano, but could have easily eaten some more!  :)

Brünnhilde forever

Today's Braised Pork; a bit heavy on the carrots and leeks, especially the dark green parts of the leeks. It didn't hurt the taste, only the aesthetic view of the dish!  :-[