Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

You people have too much money.

I'm eating Rollo candies.  :P

Bogey

Quote from: Kullervo on May 30, 2007, 07:58:05 PM
You people have too much money.

I'm eating Rollo candies.  :P

The chocolate on these is always chalky and the caramel is fairly flavorless....but I always retry them form time to time hoping for better results.  :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on May 30, 2007, 08:01:45 PM
The chocolate on these is always chalky and the caramel is fairly flavorless....but I always retry them form time to time hoping for better results.  :D

Yeah, they aren't amazing, but I had an impulse buy at the convenience store.

orbital

Chinese takeout this evening.
Lightly sauted string beans and boiled rice. But first scallion pancakes dipped into the hottest sauce I've ever tasted  :o

Kullervo

Just made some delicious gumbo, sans shrimp. Threw a can of black-eyed peas for some extra volume. It's good, I gare-awn-tay!

Steve

uffeviking

In case you are missing some posts by a member: They are in the bin, the garbage bin, where they belong.

Carry on with nice appetising talk about food.

Right now I am munching on a  slice of Hutzelbrot! Bet you don't know that I am talking about!  ;)

MishaK

I just had a wonderful lunch: an Armenian-style curried lamb stew with chickpeas and dried apricots.

Sergeant Rock

I made Coq au vin tonight, and red cabbage and Spätzle (Franco-German fusion  ;D ). I didn't have an inexpensive red wine on hand for the pot so I "sacrificed" half a bottle of 1999 Château Croix de Courans, a Saint-Émilion Grand Cru. We drank the remainder with dinner.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2007, 01:26:30 PM
I made Coq au vin tonight, and red cabbage and Spätzle (Franco-German fusion  ;D ). I didn't have an inexpensive red wine on hand for the pot so I "sacrificed" half a bottle of 1999 Château Croix de Courans, a Saint-Émilion Grand Cru. We drank the remainder with dinner.

Sarge

Please count me in when pondering future "sacrifices."  ;D  ;D  ;D  I'll be right over...

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bhodges on May 31, 2007, 01:28:44 PM
Please count me in when pondering future "sacrifices."  ;D  ;D  ;D  I'll be right over...

--Bruce

We had plenty of chicken left over, Bruce...not a drop of wine though  :D

Sarge

Papy Oli

the best of addictions, dark chocolate...

Spätzle (Franco-German fusion  ;D )

I was born in Alsace and I hadn't heard that word in ages !! ...that sure brought a smile to my face, Thanks Sarge !!!

Olivier

SonicMan46

Sarge - as is often said in cooking w/ wine, always use the wine that you plan to drink w/ the dinner!  :o  I could never accept that philosophy -  ;) :D   We buy a bunch of those 'little' 6-pack wines, which are varietal and seem fine for cooking - save the better stuff for drinking -  8)  BTW - can understand why you 'ran out' of wine - I probably would have needed to open another bottle, but that's just me -  :)  Dave

uffeviking

Quote from: papy on May 31, 2007, 01:59:14 PM
the best of addictions, dark chocolate...

I was born in Alsace and I hadn't heard that word in ages !! ...that sure brought a smile to my face, Thanks Sarge !!!

You can make your own, not too difficult. All you need is a Spätzlehobel. I used this type, many varieties easily available on the internet; that's where I got mine plus one for my neighbour who kept on borrowing mine and I had to run over to get it when I wanted to make Spätzle!  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: papy on May 31, 2007, 01:59:14 PM

Alsace is one of my favorite places on earth. My first wife spent her junior year of college at the university of Strasbourg (she was a French major) and after we married, her Alsatian friends became my Alsatian friends. During my first tour of Germany, we often spent weekends and vacations in Alsace. One friend's parents owned a farm in Obermodern. His father was Alsatian, his mother Polish (they met while he was making his way back from the Russian front at the end of the war). She spoke German and the Alsatian dialect but not French...but she certainly learned to cook French! Her meals were some of the best I've ever eaten...her rabbit in wine sauce was sublime (and living on a farm where they raised rabbits, the meat was very fresh  ;D )

After the divorce I met Mrs. Rock and our first get-away weekend was to Strasbourg...she'd never been there. We still like to vacation in Alsace, usually south of Stras in wine country. Once a month we shop, for food and wine, in Hagenau (it's about an hour's drive from our home in Germany).

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on May 31, 2007, 02:07:03 PM
Sarge - as is often said in cooking w/ wine, always use the wine that you plan to drink w/ the dinner!

Yes, in an ideal world (meaning, if I were a millionaire  ;D ) I'd follow Hugh Johnson's advice and put one bottle of Chambertin in the pot and one on the table.

What I try to do is roughly match the wines: for example, a generic Bordeaux or Bordeaux supérieur in the pot, a cru bourgeois or cru classé on the table. Yesterday was the exception: I was just too lazy to go to the market and I raided the wine cellar instead. I have to say, the sauce was exceptional :)

Sarge

toledobass

Good eats tonight.

Another frisee salad with lardons and poached eggs but I used some duck eggs tonight.  Yummmm.

For dessert I roasted some peaches and put them on a nice heap of fresh ricotta with a litte bit of lemon zest.  Fresh ricotta rocks!!!

Allan

SonicMan46

Well, back at home - but tonight a special treat - live lobster steamed w/ a light salad & some Chardonnay - a great combo!  Wine from Chile - light, lemony, and w/o much oak - perfect w/ shellfish - however, lobster has really gone up in price!  About twice as much a pound as of a year or so ago - think I read about this issue, but can't remember the details -  :'(  But, was excellent -  :D

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on June 02, 2007, 04:43:39 PM
Good eats tonight.

Another frisee salad with lardons and poached eggs but I used some duck eggs tonight.  Yummmm.

For dessert I roasted some peaches and put them on a nice heap of fresh ricotta with a litte bit of lemon zest.  Fresh ricotta rocks!!!

Allan

I'm always jealous of your meals. Mumble...

Steve

Quote from: Kullervo on June 02, 2007, 06:38:24 PM
I'm always jealous of your meals. Mumble...

Same here....  :-[