What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

There are caraway seeds in my fresh grated cabbage: life is good!

Brünnhilde ewig

Quote from: jlaurson on June 10, 2009, 10:58:14 PM

Topfen or Quark is sometimes sold directly from dairies as "Farmer's Cheese". No luck?

http://www.appel-farms.com/pages/quark.html

They are advertising sale of their Topfen/Quark is available in the State's major supermarkets, but when I checked with local branches was told: "Sorry, we don't carry it; not enough demand."

Jens, should I now resign my Libertarian membership because there is a dairy selling and handling this public health-endangering commodity: Raw Milk?  :-\

Brünnhilde ewig

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 11, 2009, 09:15:14 AM
There are caraway seeds in my fresh grated cabbage: life is good!

Life is good indeed; now next time you have geröstete kartoffel, add some caraway seeds there too!  :D

SonicMan46

Hi Lis - boy, you & others have 'taken over' this thread for the last few pages!  ;D

Well, I'm still eating well - Susan went 'oriental & healthy' at home the last few nights:

Chicken Yakitori - chicken breast chunks marinated in a soy sauce, sake and ginger sauce, then threaded onto bamboo skewers and broiled with leeks, quick, easy, and quite tasty; serve w/ one of my favorite veggies, Bok Choy.  A Sauvignon Blanc wine from New Zealand goes well this this kind of meal.

Tofu the next night - now are MEN suppose to eat 'bean curd' for dinner?  ::)  Well, she has this absolutely healthy recipe (please take note for those who have been reading the 'chesseburger' thread!) - all sauteed in a wok w/ soy sauce, chile oil, sesame seeds, fresh spinach, and mushrooms (of course fresh also) - then placed over some steamed 'brown' rice - the tofu really has a 'meaty' texture and is quite tasty w/ those ingredients - I always BITCH about this dinner, but then ask for seconds!  :-[ ;D  Wine now - many options, but I decanted a Raptor Ridge Shea Vyd - Pinot Noir from Oregon - complemented the dish perfectly; so I guess we guys can indulge in tofu, occasionally!  ;) :D

jlaurson

Just picked 10 kg (~22 pounds) of Strawberries with my lass... now we're working on turning that into jam.

We also picked lots of Elderberry blossoms along the way, which will go in with half the jam. The other half will be split between having Rhubarb added, and Champagne.

And maybe we'll make a cake while we're at it. This time I shan't forget the pictures.

Brünnhilde ewig

Jens, when you are done with your Eabbeamamalad maybe you'll find a few minutes to join a discussion at the General Opera Newsthread about Kaufmann and Cura!  :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on June 13, 2009, 10:02:16 AM
Jens, when you are done with your Eabbeamamalad maybe you'll find a few minutes to join a discussion at the General Opera Newsthread about Kaufmann and Cura!  :)

Nah. I just turned down a (free) ticket to see Kaufmann in La Traviata. I think I'd be stoned (virtually), if they knew that in the General Opera News thread. (Simon Keenlyside as Germont, Angela Gheorgiu was supposed to be Violetta -- but she was first replaced by Hateros and now Hateros will probably be replaced by yet someone else.

Busy day. We made a Rhubarb cake (picture also upcoming) which was good if not excellent and am only now getting to the Erdbermarmelade. Futzing about with the Elderberry blossoms, by the way, is a job for someone who shot his parents. Argh.

Brünnhilde ewig

Elderberryblossoms go into Hollerküchle not jam! For the jam one waits until fall and uses the elderberries!

O.T.: Afraid to tell us why you turn down Kaufmann?  :-\

toledobass

Over at a friends place for some enchiladas and 2 kinds of sausages.  bacon/cheddar (yup you read that right, bacon in a sausage!!!!) and jalepeno.

Allan

jlaurson

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on June 13, 2009, 01:40:13 PM
Elderberryblossoms go into Hollerküchle not jam! For the jam one waits until fall and uses the elderberries!
What Elderberry credentials have you, to tell me how to jam with them?  ;D

O.T.: Afraid to tell us why you turn down Kaufmann?  :-\

Not really. Didn't feel like it... not a great production... am hearing & seeing so much, anyway... wasn't going to be paid for it... am behind with work.
And the Aida I just saw didn't put me in the mood to have to digest more Verdi. Not even Trivialata.

Papageno

A handful of young women.

Brünnhilde ewig

Quote from: toledobass on June 13, 2009, 03:01:29 PM
Over at a friends place for some enchiladas and 2 kinds of sausages.  bacon/cheddar (yup you read that right, bacon in a sausage!!!!) and jalepeno.

Allan

Allan, did the bacon sausage also have ground buffalo? A friend made delicious ones that way, resorted to the bacon because the buffalo meat tends to be very dry. Whichever, yours sound good - if the jalepeno are in small doses!  ;D

Diletante

Quote from: Papageno on June 13, 2009, 04:00:25 PM
A handful of young women.

Stop eating your plastic miniatures!
Orgullosamente diletante.

toledobass

Quote from: Brünnhilde ewig on June 13, 2009, 04:28:05 PM
Allan, did the bacon sausage also have ground buffalo? A friend made delicious ones that way, resorted to the bacon because the buffalo meat tends to be very dry. Whichever, yours sound good - if the jalepeno are in small doses!  ;D

No these were pork sausages.  They were really good!!!!!

Allan

bwv 1080

BBQ'd some chicken today

Brined the chicken in a mix of salt, sugar, soy sauce & pepper for 10 hours then on the smoker for 4 hours

Brünnhilde ewig

My, that looks good! Or is it the great camera work? I felt like taking a bite out of my monitor, or at least lick the screen!  ::)

toledobass

i've got some pizza dough rising for later.  Makes me want to make some bread though too so I might get some dough started for that in a bit.

Allan

Brünnhilde ewig

I have the highest respect and admiration for any human - outside the pizza industry of course - who is proficient in making just the right pizza dough. A half-Italian friend was at the house once and bragged about his pizza dough. "Show me"! He did. Allan, I could have filled the pothole in my driveway with his stuff!

Lis

toledobass

well..here are some examples from over the years: 1 2 3

I keep thinking I'm getting better at pizza, but the holy grail of crispy/chewy is still elusive.

And one more:

Brünnhilde ewig

Going just by the picture, I'll have two slices of Number 1, please, Allan!

Love the floury crust, and nice, big crust, none of the cardboard thingie they serve here at our Irish Public House, bragging about it too! Pshaw, what do the Irish know about pizza anyhow!  ::)

Lis