What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Well, I'm always jealous of what Dave eats!!!!

I finally got a photobucket account so here's my breakfast from this morning.  Some one eyed jacks!!!!! (sorry about the awful 70's plates)

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on June 03, 2007, 06:45:54 AM
Well, I'm always jealous of what Dave eats!!!!

I finally got a photobucket account so here's my breakfast from this morning.  Some one eyed jacks!!!!! (sorry about the awful 70's plates)

Allan - that looks a lot better than my breakfast this 'morn - just had some toast & coffee!  :'(  But going out to our 'mountain lodge' restaurant tonight - right down the road, just 5 mins. from home - I usually alternate between the broiled trout or the venison (I guess depending on the 'color' of wine I want -  ;) ;D)  Usually just order two veggies on the side (typically sauteed spinach & asparagus) - simple, quick, & quite tasty (and at a decent price!) - Dave  :)

Bogey

Hittin' brunch here in about 30 minutes:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 01, 2007, 06:44:04 AM
Alsace is one of my favorite places on earth.....

I'll have to agree on that one, although I left Alsace when i was 3 y.o. and visited it a couple of times only since...but that stayed nicely in the genes  ;D

My favorite wines are definitely the Alsace ones : Gewurtztraminer, Riesling, Pinot, Muscat.... that to top a nice saurkraut !!

and you talking of rabbit as well  >:D....i am peckish now...   :D
Olivier

uffeviking

Quote from: toledobass on June 03, 2007, 06:45:54 AM

Some one eyed jacks!!!!!

Allan

Those are not one eyed Jacks!  ::)

They are 'Toads-in-a-hole'! At least that's what this nourishment is called in Scotland!  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on June 03, 2007, 07:25:12 AM
Hittin' brunch here in about 30 minutes:

Just got back....my wife and I might not have another bite until next Sunday.  :-X
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

The best meal I had this weekend was at a restaurant in Kallstadt on the Weinstrasse in the Pfalz: Scholle Filet "Finkenweider Art", boiled potatoes and salad. Scholle is plaice. I expected two filets, got six! They covered a large plate. They were fried with bacon bits and placed on a bed of finely chopped root veggies. Mrs. Rock took one look at it and said, "Germans are probably the only people in the world who would take a perfectly healthy piece of fish and turn it into a heart attack on a plate." True, but boy, it tasted great. We drank a dry 2006 Grauburgunder kabinett (the same grape as the French pinot gris and Italian pinot grigio). I started out with a bowl of thick potato and fried Blutwurst soup.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 04, 2007, 05:42:46 AM
"Germans are probably the only people in the world who would take a perfectly healthy piece of fish and turn it into a heart attack on a plate."
Sarge

Uhhhh...I'd include the French in there too.

Allan

Sergeant Rock

Simple meal last night: Schnitzel, boiled taters, and Spargel (asparagus). Complex wine: a 2002 Reiterpfad (an erstes Gewächs--premier cru--Riesling Spätlese trocken from Weingut Reichsrat von Buhl).

Spargel is grown locally. The season lasts from mid-April to 20 June. We buy from a farmer in our village; it's been picked within a few hours. Although green Spargel is available now too, and becoming more popular, the traditional Spargel is white. The stalks never see the sun until they are harvested. They're grown in mounds and picked by workers who march up and down the rows all day, looking for a sign that the spear is about to break through the soil.

When ready to harvest, a tool is inserted into the side of the mound.

The taste is milder than green asparagus.

Sarge

Kullervo

Buddy Jesus approves of the wine.  :D

Sergeant Rock

toledobass

That looks great and satisfying,  Sarge.  I love the knife.

Allan

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on June 06, 2007, 05:46:15 AM
That looks great and satisfying,  Sarge.  I love the knife.

Allan

Sabatier LaGuiole steak-knives (with the distinctive bee insignia):

We first saw them at a restaurant in Kayserberg Alsace. Mrs. Rock fell in love with them. She asked the owner about them and they had a long conversation. We found a set on sale at Amazon.

Sarge

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 06, 2007, 06:26:25 AM
Sabatier LaGuiole steak-knives (with the distinctive bee insignia):

We first saw them at a restaurant in Kayserberg Alsace. Mrs. Rock fell in love with them. She asked the owner about them and they had a long conversation. We found a set on sale at Amazon.

Sarge

Thanks so much for that info.  I'm gonna have to add those to my 'to get' list.  Now what can you tell me about the little spoon in the (what looks like) butter?   ;D ;)

Allan

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on June 06, 2007, 06:31:49 AM
Now what can you tell me about the little spoon in the (what looks like) butter?   ;D ;)

Allan

Now there hangs a tale!

Actually, Mrs. Rock got a set of cheap, kitschy flatware free because she bought a ton of products from the French cosmetic company Yves Rocher. ;D  And yes, that's butter and garlic.

Sarge

Scriptavolant

Salame al (di) cioccolato.  :D

Haffner

Luscious yummy-bud cooked for five minutes in butter, with the juices and herbal remainders sopped up with 15-grain bread.

I believe I'll be cracking out Mahler's 6th (Karajan) in about an hour and a half!

karlhenning

I want a list of the 15 grains!  8)

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 07:35:41 AM
I want a list of the 15 grains!  8)

:D

I'll bet that my late breakfast is going to make me very hungry all over again!

Kullervo

Dried plums, a childhood favorite!