What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Kullervo on June 07, 2007, 07:46:54 AM
Dried plums, a childhood favorite!

Borrowing the French word for plum, we call these prunes in English. Just FYI!

Kullervo

Yes I know, I was being silly. I honestly don't understand the bad rap prunes get... they're delicious!  ???

Haffner

Quote from: Kullervo on June 07, 2007, 07:52:44 AM
Yes I know, I was being silly. I honestly don't understand the bad rap prunes get... they're delicious!  ???

Plus, they keep ya goin'! ;) 0:)

karlhenning

Quote from: Kullervo on June 07, 2007, 07:52:44 AM

My mom-in-law uses them in cooking, especially a delicious chicken dish.

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 07:55:03 AM
My mom-in-law uses them in cooking, especially a delicious chicken dish.

Now that sounds delicious :)!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 07, 2007, 07:55:03 AM
My mom-in-law uses them in cooking...

Yeah, mine too, but she adds them to pork roasts. Must be an old world thing, eh, Karl?  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Haffner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 07, 2007, 08:26:55 AM
Yeah, mine too, but she adds them to pork roasts. Must be an old world thing, eh, Karl?  8)

Sarge

Oh no, my late breakfast's effects are kicking in, and now I'm starving!!

Robert

Quote from: Haffner on June 07, 2007, 07:54:27 AM

Plus, they keep ya goin'! ;) 0:)
a very LOOSE  interpretation if I ever heard one...........

toledobass

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 07, 2007, 08:26:55 AM

Sarge

I know they're used a bit in old-school French cooking.

Allan

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on June 07, 2007, 08:39:41 AM
I know they're used a bit in old-school French cooking.

Allan

Allan, I've always wondered... what exactly is your avatar?

orbital

I believe it is  dim sum.

I am really hungry, I don't know what to eat for lunch, but I'll probably go for some rice &cannelini beans

toledobass

Quote from: Kullervo on June 07, 2007, 08:59:59 AM

Allan, I've always wondered... what exactly is your avatar?

Yes, it is dim sum but it's a little off the beaten cart path  :D.  It's called Xiao Long Bao.  They are soup dumplings:  contained in each little dumpling is a little bit of broth.  From what I understand most of the dim sum served in the US is prepared by Cantonese dim sum chefs and these are a Shanghai specialty,  hence the reason they are not usually found in 'traditional' dim sum houses in the US.

Allan

orbital

Quote from: toledobass on June 07, 2007, 11:34:41 AM
Yes, it is dim sum but it's a little off the beaten cart path  :D.  It's called Xiao Long Bao.  They are soup dumplings:  contained in each little dumpling is a little bit of broth.  From what I understand most of the dim sum served in the US is prepared by Cantonese dim sum chefs and these are a Shanghai specialty,  hence the reason they are not usually found in 'traditional' dim sum houses in the US.

Allan
Yes, the dimsums I have had come from a broth, they are of course moist inside, but without broth inside them. Perhaps there are places in Chinatown who do it like this, but with me the only dimsum option is tofu/spinach so broth or no broth nothing very appealing to me anyway.

Steve

One of my tutoring students has just brough me a wonderful Thai meal!!  :)

SonicMan46

Dim Sum - introduced to that food back in the late '70s in San Francisco - wife is still a great fan, but my interest has waivered - guess I find much of it just 'too starchy' in many places; BUT, if Dim Sum is being served at an excellent restaurant & well done, then I certainly enjoy the experience; I like 'lightness', interesting variety, and a little more 'refined' atmosphere than usually present at many of these eateries. 

One of my favorite places was Harbor Village Restaurant in the financial district in San Fran; yes, a little more expensive, but I adored the experience (including the baby octupus!) - SHOCKED - click on the name of the place - IT HAS CLOSED!  I used to find a medical meeting out there every 2-3 years, and often would dine at that restaurant (dim sum for lunch or great fresh fish steamed for dinner; well, no more) -  :'(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2007, 11:41:36 AM
One of my tutoring students has just brough me a wonderful Thai meal!!  :)

Lucky man. I love Thai.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mozart

I just had a feast. Oatmeal, pasta, cranberries, apricot, melon, corn... and for dessert licorice.

Haffner

Quote from: Bogey on June 07, 2007, 07:10:05 PM

:o

oooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOO.

I'm gonna make a peanut butter and fluff sandwich.

George

Quote from: Haffner on June 08, 2007, 07:10:42 AM

:o

oooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOO.

I'm gonna make a peanut butter and fluff sandwich.

Something tells me you could have used that yesterday.... ::)

;)