What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

маразм1

buckwheat with fried onions and olive oil. 
Now that's good food.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: marazm1 on June 12, 2007, 07:26:33 AM
buckwheat with fried onions and olive oil. 
Now that's good food.

Please supply the recipe....

Haffner

After the intense chromaticisms of Strauss' Elektra, I'm about to come "down to earth" a bit with some B and M Baked Beans and supa-delicious pork hot dogs...JA!

Sergeant Rock

Mrs. Rock wanted Vietnamese Summer Rolls for dinner so we drove off to the Asian market this evening and bought the ingredients: fish sauce (we like Oyster brand), rice paper, rice vermicelli, fresh Thai basil, cilantro, culantro and ginger; frozen lemon grass (not as hard as fresh).

We fry shrimp and diced chicken breast (sometimes pork) in sesame oil with garlic, ginger, onion, lemon grass. The shrimp gets "salted" with fish sauce; the meat with soy sauce.

At the table you roll the meat and shrimp in the rice paper with the noodles, fresh herbs and spring onions. The shrimp roll is dipped in a fish sauce (half Oyster, half water, and chopped red chili); the chicken roll in a hot sweet and sour sauce made of sambal olek, honey and vinegar. We drank Sekt (German champagne) with it. Delicious. One of our favorite meals.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

маразм1

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on June 12, 2007, 08:14:59 AM
Please supply the recipe....

Buckwheat is really really healthy whole-grain food.  It's not sold in regular supermarkets as grain.  But I but it in a russian store. 

To cook it, is really easy.  Put a cup of buckwheat in a flat-bottomed pot, add 2 cups and just a tad more of water to it.  Wait till it boils, add a little bit of sault, close the lid and put on low fire until all the water is absorbed.  The sault will bring out the flavor, it should not be too much.

Now I like buckwheat with milk.  After it's done, I just add cold milk to the bowl and eat it.

Another alternative is to fry chopped onions, and mushrooms(optional) in olive oil with sault, and mix it into the buckwheat.  When serving, add a bit more olive oil. 

orbital

To me, it sounds like this buckwheat can be had with plain yogurt as well, particularly with the onion-ed version.

George

Subway- Footlong Veggie Delight on Honey Oat bread with extra swiss cheese, lettuce, pickles, hot peppers, cukes and tomato. Topped with Chipolte sauce and with Lays chips on the side with a Reeds ginger ale and some maple oat pecan cookies for dessert.

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 12, 2007, 05:05:56 PM
Subway- Footlong Veggie Delight on Honey Oat bread with extra swiss cheese, lettuce, pickles, hot peppers, cukes and tomato. Topped with Chipolte sauce and with Lays chips on the side with a Reeds ginger ale and some maple oat pecan cookies for dessert.

My colleagues and I refer to Subway as "Jared's HOUSE!"

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Kullervo

Quote from: George on June 12, 2007, 05:05:56 PM

I know it's only fast food, but you are making my mouth water.  :P

George

Quote from: Kullervo on June 12, 2007, 06:47:55 PM
I know it's only fast food, but you are making my mouth water.  :P

8)

Scriptavolant

SonicMan46

Eating 'in house' tonight - Quail from the Nipissing Game Farm (Ontario, CA) bought locally - will be sauteed w/ onions, sherry, etc. + veggie or salad (up to the LOML) - BONUS will be 'sampling' of two Oregon Pinot Noirs which just arrived:  Lemelson Thea's Selection & Six Vineyards, both 2005 vintage - can't wait!  ;D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

Pasta carbonara. My first time making it, turned out pretty well.

toledobass

Quote from: Kullervo on June 13, 2007, 02:59:11 PM
Pasta carbonara. My first time making it, turned out pretty well.

Nice.  I love carbonara.  It's one of those dishes that everyone has a different thoughts about how it should be so it leads to a ton of recipes out there.  How did you make yours?

Bogey,

Chow mein looks good but no General in the order?

Sonic,

Sounds wonderful.

The Mrs. and I just enjoyed this out on the back porch:

Allan

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on June 13, 2007, 03:20:31 PM
Nice.  I love carbonara.  It's one of those dishes that everyone has a different thoughts about how it should be so it leads to a ton of recipes out there.  How did you make yours?

I made mine by cooking some bacon and sliced onions in a pan, then adding the pasta (cooked beforehand), and then the egg, salt and some ground pepper. If I had any garlic, I probably would have used it, and some thicker bacon with less fat would have probably worked better, but overall it was very a tasty and substantial meal that took no time at all.

uffeviking

Fast, delicious and nutritious: One ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and cubed, covered with lots of Greek Honey Yogurt accompanied by a small glass of whole milk - none of the blue watery stuff! - from an organic local dairy.

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on June 13, 2007, 03:20:31 PM
The Mrs. and I just enjoyed this out on the back porch:

Allan - hope that is some fresh basil on that pizza!  ;D  One of my favorite pizzas is just thin crust, fresh tomato sauce, light on the cheese, and basil (put on at last so not overcooked) - yum!  Hey - my Oregon Pinot Noirs would be great w/ that dish! 

BTW - the Quail was outstanding - LOML just served up some peas on the side (which I love) - another outstanding side w/ this bird would be a starch such as a wild rice mixture w/ mushrooms - YEH -  :D

Bill - love Chinese takeout; have a place up the road that delivers, so a couple times a month, we love to go that route - of course, if an alcoholic beverage is desired, beer is great, but for those interested in wine - give a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc a try - really a nice combo!  :)

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on June 13, 2007, 05:05:47 PM
Allan - hope that is some fresh basil on that pizza!  ;D  One of my favorite pizzas is just thin crust, fresh tomato sauce, light on the cheese, and basil (put on at last so not overcooked)

Exactly our meal.  ;D

Allan