What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Been making some......errrrrr....ahem.....vegetarian food lately.  Tonight will be sauteed veggies and rice with a spicy peanut lime sauce.  Been making some great garden burgers out of lentils, bulgar, mushrooms and beets too.

Allan 

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on February 22, 2010, 11:53:23 AM
Been making some......errrrrr....ahem.....vegetarian food lately.  Tonight will be sauteed veggies and rice with a spicy peanut lime sauce.  Been making some great garden burgers out of lentils, bulgar, mushrooms and beets too.

Allan

Is this from the same man that used to make homemade sausage!?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Crazy talk huh? Believe it or not the wife is vegetarian and damn close to having a vegan diet.  Every once in a while I like to see if I can make something delicious that has no meat.  It's a good challenge.

Allan

Novi

Quote from: toledobass on February 22, 2010, 11:53:23 AM

Allan

That sounds nice - have you a recipe for it? I need to go beyond frozen soy burgers... :-\
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on February 23, 2010, 10:20:35 AM
Crazy talk huh? Believe it or not the wife is vegetarian and damn close to having a vegan diet.  Every once in a while I like to see if I can make something delicious that has no meat.  It's a good challenge.

Allan

My wife is a self proclaimed hypocritcal vegetarian.  That is, she stays away from meat, unless it is a juicy t-bone.  Then she just cannot help herself.   ;D

As for me, give me a deer steak any day....and throw a couple of those steamed Bar Harbor "bugs" on the plate as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

abidoful

Soon i will be eating MÄMMI 8)  (=mämmi is a traditional finnish season-food, a sort of a dessert consumed with cream and sugar, tastes little bit like  chocolate cake dough- looks like------doo-doo)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: abidoful on February 24, 2010, 12:47:14 AM
...tastes little bit like  chocolate cake dough- looks like------doo-doo

Sounds....delightful  :P

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mahler10th

I was having a great munch on these a moment ago.

Harpo

Tonight I cooked: broiled scallops with a pesto/lemon/wine sauce, over whole wheat orzo, sprinkled with feta cheese. Steamed baby spinach on the side.  I will be making it again, maybe with shrimp instead of scallops.

We took no photo, so this is a Google facsimile of it <g>

If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

zorzynek

mahler10th

zorzynek

SonicMan46

Well, I was off on Friday, so we attended a new independent downtown theater - just 2 screens w/ 80 seats in each area; wine & beer are available - films shown will be ones less likely to hit the big chain complexes and foreign films - plan to return on Sunday afternoon to see The Young Victoria:D

But being downtown gave us the opportunity to eat in an area of town, which we rarely do - went to a restaurant that we dined at last year after attending an event in the Old Salem Visitor's Center - the place is called Meridien Restaurant (menu attached as a PDF file for the curious).

For starters, I had the Rare grilled Yellow Fin Tuna salad - a mixture of greens, olives, etc. w/ a light dressing - a little more than I wanted but delicious; shared some of the tuna w/ Susan who had the lightly battered fried oysters!

Main course for me was the Grilled Antelope Tournedos w/ a 'dirty rice' + spinach side - also wonderful; Susan had the duck (we shared the meats!) - plus a couple of glasses of DeLoach Pinot Noir!

No dessert - we were both pretty full!  However, we'll likely go downtown for an occasional flick, so plan to revisit that restaurant!  :)

Harpo

Rabbit tonite! Browned with onions and then braised with chicken broth and white wine. Bony but very tasty. Funny, I didn't expect it to have four drumsticks.  :)

toledobass

Harpo

Veal scallopini with garlic-lemon-pine nut sauce. Braised fennel as the veggie. Dessert: rye Triscuits and a grape Edy's fruit popsicle.

Saturday night: shrimp stir-fried with onions, snow peas, baby corn, red pepper, ginger and soba noodles. Sonic wants to add cashews next time (no way!, perhaps peanuts)

Bogey

Quote from: Harpo on March 15, 2010, 07:05:23 PM
Veal scallopini with garlic-lemon-pine nut sauce. Braised fennel as the veggie. Dessert: rye Triscuits and a grape Edy's fruit popsicle.

Saturday night: shrimp stir-fried with onions, snow peas, baby corn, red pepper, ginger and soba noodles. Sonic wants to add cashews next time (no way!, perhaps peanuts)

Absolutely.....keep the cashews away from such a wonderful dish.

toledobass

Sounds terrific Harpo!

I made some shrimp and grits tonight.  Plenty of grits leftover for gritcakes in the morning....mmmmmmm

Allan

Harpo

Quote from: toledobass on March 15, 2010, 07:24:39 PM
Sounds terrific Harpo!

I made some shrimp and grits tonight.  Plenty of grits leftover for gritcakes in the morning....mmmmmmm

Allan

Shrimp and grits is one of my favorite comfort foods! Our neighborhood "bistro" makes it with cheese grits, andouille sausage and spinach. Inspired combination!

mahler10th