What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

Quote from: Iago on June 21, 2007, 05:48:43 PM
Oh, you're such an "elegant" person, I can't stand it.
Where's the BEEF??  Steak,Onions,etc.

I live in Chicago. I am forced to eat that grub for lunch most days. Please let me enjoy some elegance in my free time. My doing so doesn't infringe on any of your liberties.

Sergeant Rock

Where's the BEEF??

Here:

I had that for dinner last night at a restaurant in Mrs. Rock's hometown, across the Rhine in the state of Hessen. Argentinian filet (imported beef has become popular since the mad cow scare a few years ago), asparagus, parsley potatoes and Hollandaise sauce. The steak was topped with a great salsa. We drank a Spätburgunder (pinot noir) from the Hessische Bergstrasse, the small wine region between Heidelberg and Darmstadt on the slopes of the Odenwald.

I usually eat more "elegantly" though, just like Mensch  ;D I love seafood.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Pepperoni Pizza
Mint/Chocolate chips and Vanilla Ice creams

and Carlsberg Export.

heck, it's friday  ;D
Olivier

George

Organic Banana.

Tempeh, carrots brown rice.

:D

Bogey

Quote from: George on June 22, 2007, 11:42:34 AM
Organic Banana.

Tempeh, carrots brown rice.

:D

Do not eat the profits my friend!  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 22, 2007, 06:51:15 AM
Here:

I had that for dinner last night at a restaurant in Mrs. Rock's hometown, across the Rhine in the state of Hessen. Argentinian filet (imported beef has become popular since the mad cow scare a few years ago), asparagus, parsley potatoes and Hollandaise sauce. The steak was topped with a great salsa. We drank a Spätburgunder (pinot noir) from the Hessische Bergstrasse, the small wine region between Heidelberg and Darmstadt on the slopes of the Odenwald.

Sarge - brings back a few memories for me - first looks great!  The only beef from Argentina that I've had (and several times) was on a trip to Columbia (i.e., Colombia) - speaking w/ my collegue in Manizales in the Andes - taken to dinner a number of times and enjoyed both the beef & wine from Argentina.  Also, I've not had any of the German Pinot Noir since my only trip to that country back in the '90s - I'm impressed w/ its color in the glass - looks quite deep (believe that I had 'lighter' versions of the same wine) -  :D

For me, just our little Italian bistro tonight - nothing special but quite tasty - fresh bread & salad w/ a house-made Italian dressing that is just delicious, the veal piccata (lemony w/ capers - hmmmm!) w/ a small side of pasta; wife wanted some spumoni, which topped off the evening!  :)  P.S. a couple of glasses of Soave (nothing great but just fine w/ the veal) - Dave

Bonehelm

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 22, 2007, 06:51:15 AM
Here:

I usually eat more "elegantly" though, just like Mensch  ;D I love seafood.

Sarge

Holy sweet mother...don't tell me those are French fries...

George

3 organic eggs, scrambled

2 slices of sprouted multigrain bread with Earth Balance spread and Raspberry jam.

8)

Kullervo

Quote from: George on June 22, 2007, 04:46:41 PM
3 organic eggs, scrambled

2 slices of sprouted multigrain bread with Earth Balance spread and Raspberry jam.

8)

Yuppie!

Scriptavolant

Bonehelm

Bogey

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 22, 2007, 04:45:31 PM
Holy sweet mother...don't tell me those are French fries...

I belive they are Spargel (asparagus). See pg. 4 of this thread.  From the web:

Spargel is asparagus, however it is grown covered in soil in order to prevent photosynthesis. This process prevents the asparagus from turning green and results in a sweeter and more tender taste. It is generally harvested from late April to early June.

Spargel is very popular in Europe, especially Germany where it is known as "Königliches Gemüse" (Royal Vegetable). Germany produces 57,000 tons of asparagus a year, however that is only enough to meet 61% of its consumption demands.[1] When spargel is harvested in the late spring, many German cities hold festivals in celebration. Schwetzingen claims to be the "Asparagus Capital of the World" and holds an annual Spargelfest (asparagus festival) in which it names a lucky person as Spargel Queen.

Is this summary from the web correct Sarge?

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on June 22, 2007, 09:29:01 PM
I belive they are Spargel (asparagus).

Yes.

Mrs. Rock's hometown, Lampertheim, also claims some kind of Spargel title and has an annual festival devoted to it. We live in a region that produces a large percentage of the veggie. The Spargel in my picture represent the highest quality: completely white, fat and sweet. Cooked properly (which this restaurant has mastered) the stalks are firm but still melt in your mouth. Direct from the farmer they cost almost six dollars a pound (€8.50 a kilo). At the restaurant, considerably more.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Que

I belive they are Spargel (asparagus). See pg. 4 of this thread.  From the web:

Spargel is asparagus, however it is grown covered in soil in order to prevent photosynthesis. This process prevents the asparagus from turning green and results in a sweeter and more tender taste. It is generally harvested from late April to early June.

Spargel is very popular in Europe, especially Germany where it is known as "Königliches Gemüse" (Royal Vegetable). Germany produces 57,000 tons of asparagus a year, however that is only enough to meet 61% of its consumption demands.[1] When spargel is harvested in the late spring, many German cities hold festivals in celebration. Schwetzingen claims to be the "Asparagus Capital of the World" and holds an annual Spargelfest (asparagus festival) in which it names a lucky person as Spargel Queen.

They are also very popular in the Netherlands, and are grown here.
In Southern Europe the Green variety is more popular (not grown when covered by soil) - I prefer it myself.
They can be cooked but also shortly and gently backed or grilled. Eaten with fish, ham or bacon! :D

Q

Scriptavolant

Schwetzingen claims to be the "Asparagus Capital of the World" and holds an annual Spargelfest (asparagus festival) in which it names a lucky person as Spargel Queen.[/i]

I didn't know the germans claimed that, I've never tasted their asparagi, by the way there's a little town not far from here, called "Cantello" which also seems to be world wide known for its asparagi quality.

CANTELLO: THE ASPARAGUS
Cantello, a small village close to the Swiss border, owes its fame to the cultivation of a very particular type of asparagus, quite different to that normally found in commerce; it is a white asparagus, with a rosy tip, that retains its consistency and flavour even after cooking. It is said that the Baj family introduced the cultivation of this asparagus in Cantello, imposing it on the share-croppers and land tenants to make up for the limited productive and market conditions of the traditional agricultural cultivation of that period. The fame of the Cantello asparagus literally exploded during the Thirties until the mid Sixties. In those years, with the advent of mechanisation, many producers abandoned the asparagus cultivation; however nowadays, after periods of scant production in the Seventies and Eighties, cultivation has picked up again, and from a yearly harvest of 20 quintals at the end of the Nineties, we have progressed to more than 150 quintals in 2004. The asparagus that we eat as a vegetable, is actually the turion, the young shoot that sprouts from the underground rhizome. Picking starts at the end of March and continues through to May-June. The young sprouts withstand temperatures of even -15°, which makes cultivation possible on the hills and in the valleys of the Po Plains. Cantello, together with Mezzago (Mi) and Cilavegna (Pv), are the last areas in which asparagus cultivation is found in Lombardy; every second Sunday of May a village feast is organised during which this delicious vegetable can be tasted as well as bought.

From: http://www.albergo-varese.com/english/varese/italian_food_typical_wine_cheese_varese.asp

uffeviking

Schwetzingen has two attractions: Spargel is one, the other is their opera house! I have enjoyed both, a wonderful meal and then a charming opera production:

http://www.swr.de/swr2/schwetzinger-festspiele/-/id=233286/g0o2ht/index.html

I should point out to anybody lucky to find this kind of asparagus in their market: It is not easy to prepare because the stalks have to be peeled carfully, with either a sharp knife or a potato peeler to remove the almost woody outer layer. That's why I pig out on the green variety which is grown about an hour's drive from home, now in season, and easily prepared.

George

Two slices of sprouted whole grain bread

covered with Almond Butter

sprinkled with sea salt.

Life is good.  8)

Steve

Quote from: George on June 23, 2007, 10:10:30 AM
Two slices of sprouted whole grain bread

covered with Almond Butter

sprinkled with sea salt.

Life is good.  8)

The eating habits of a Whole Foods employee.....  ;)

George

Quote from: Steve on June 23, 2007, 10:15:16 AM
The eating habits of a Whole Foods employee.....  ;)

Indeed!

;D

sidoze

Oh, you're such an "elegant" person, I can't stand it.
Where's the BEEF??  Steak,Onions,etc.

hahaha I was thinking exactly the same! LOL

homemade chicken wrapped in buckwheat pancakes and houmous, making a sort of burrito. Necessary.