What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sidoze on June 23, 2007, 10:29:03 AM
hahaha I was thinking exactly the same! LOL

What??? For someone so particular about who plays his Chopin, you mean to tell me you eat like a commoner? Like...Iago??? Tell me it ain't so, Sidoze! I'm really disappointed. I expected better of you.

Quote from: sidoze on June 23, 2007, 10:29:03 AM
homemade chicken...

You rung its neck yourself? Okay, now I'm impressed.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Que on June 23, 2007, 07:41:54 AM
They are also very popular in the Netherlands, and are grown here.
In Southern Europe the Green variety is more popular (not grown when covered by soil) - I prefer it myself

Fresh green Spargel has been available here too for the lastfew years. It's still a small percentage of the harvest, though, and if you want it for the evening meal, you have to get to the farmer's stands early because it usually sells out fast. I like both green and white. Green, with its more intensive flavor, goes better with grilled red meat. I also like green because it's way easier to prepare ;D  Just snap it in two near the bottom of the stalk and discard the hard end. White, as Uffeviking said, has to be carefully, and laboriously, peeled. During the season, we eat Spargel two or three times a week (yeah, it's that good). When Mrs. Rock walks through the door and sees me preparing green instead of white, she sneers and calls me a Faultier ;D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on June 22, 2007, 02:35:29 PM
Sarge - brings back a few memories for me - first looks great!  The only beef from Argentina that I've had (and several times) was on a trip to Columbia (i.e., Colombia) - speaking w/ my collegue in Manizales in the Andes - taken to dinner a number of times and enjoyed both the beef & wine from Argentina.

Beef from Argentina is better, in general, than German. Germany is pork country; they excel in Schwein products. But I'm still thoroughly American: nothing beats an American, aged steak. I can buy it at the army commissaries. I rarely buy German beef (except hamburger). Even Rouladen tastes far better if I use round steak from the commissary.

Quote from: SonicMan on June 22, 2007, 02:35:29 PM
Also, I've not had any of the German Pinot Noir since my only trip to that country back in the '90s - I'm impressed w/ its color in the glass - looks quite deep (believe that I had 'lighter' versions of the same wine) -  :D

There has been a wine revolution here. Started in the early to mid-80s. A few young vintners decided they were going to make serious red and dry white wine. Rainer Lingenfelder was one of the them. He left Germany and worked for famous wineries in Australia, France, and California. When he returned to Germany, he took over the family wine estate in Grosskarlbach (unfashionably off the beaten Weinstrasse) and immediately began to make radical changes in the way wine was made. He even fought the wine bureaucracy. His pinot noir was really different: dark, concentrated, barrique-aged. He wasn't alone. The ideas spread and today you'll find far fewer of those pale imitations of red wine that were once so popular. The really good examples remind me of pinot from Oregon and Washington.

Sarge

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 23, 2007, 01:07:23 PM
But I'm still thoroughly American: nothing beats an American, aged steak. I can buy it at the army commissaries.

Except that the tenderness of American beef comes from the fact that American beef is corn-fed, instead of grass fed. That has the benefit of fattening the animal quickly, but has many downsides. Cows are highly evolved organisms designed especially to digest a very hard to digest plant: grass. If you feed them anything else, their stomachs go bonkers. They become constipated and need to take drugs to regulate their digestion. This in turn causes immune weaknesses and attracts bacteria, which in turn requires antibiotics treatment. You end up with a piece of beef that is more tender than grass-fed beef, but full of pharmaceutical products. The excrement of American cows is a biohazard and cannot be used as fertilizer unlike the excrement of naturally grass-fed cows.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 23, 2007, 01:07:23 PM
The really good examples remind me of pinot from Oregon and Washington.

Seconded. I particularly like the ones from Assmannshausen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: uffeviking on June 23, 2007, 09:42:59 AM
Schwetzingen has two attractions: Spargel is one, the other is their opera house! I have enjoyed both, a wonderful meal and then a charming opera production

The small baroque theater is really cool. We've splurged on private boxes before...sitting in them, it feels like you've been transported back in time.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on June 23, 2007, 01:19:14 PM
Except that the tenderness of American beef comes from the fact that American beef is corn-fed, instead of grass fed. That has the benefit of fattening the animal quickly, but has many downsides. Cows are highly evolved organisms designed especially to digest a very hard to digest plant: grass. If you feed them anything else, their stomachs go bonkers. They become constipated and need to take drugs to regulate their digestion. This in turn causes immune weaknesses and attracts bacteria, which in turn requires antibiotics treatment. You end up with a piece of beef that is more tender than grass-fed beef, but full of pharmaceutical products. The excrement of American cows is a biohazard and cannot be used as fertilizer unlike the excrement of naturally grass-fed cows.

Absolutely true, everything you say. But I still love American beef. (Off topic....I'm listening to the Schuricht Bruckner 8th for the third time tonight...awesome!)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on June 23, 2007, 01:19:14 PM
Seconded. I particularly like the ones from Assmannshausen.

Oh, yes. That area of the Rheingau has been specializing in pinot noir for centuries. Spectacular wine. Have you ever ridden the chair lift from the top of the mountain down into Assmanshausen? We do that once a year or so. Ride down through the forest and vineyards, and then eat at the Krone on the Rhine. Then take the lift back up to the car. A great way to spend a summer or fall afternoon.

Sarge

toledobass

Quote from: George on June 23, 2007, 10:10:30 AM
Two slices of sprouted whole grain bread

covered with Almond Butter

sprinkled with sea salt.

Life is good.  8)

You're back at whole foods?  Do you mind if I ask if and what the employee discount is there?

Allan

Kullervo

Cereal. I will be eating a lot of cereal this week. (I'm broke!)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Kullervo on June 23, 2007, 02:00:42 PM

Damn...that sucks. I'm going to stop posting here then. The thought of you staring in the "window" while I eat is going to ruin my appetite.

When Mrs. Rock and I were first married, times were tough. I was a staff sergeant and the pay was poor. Congress hadn't given us a decent raise in years. Inflation was offically at 15% (the Carter years) but it seemed to me more like 20 or 25%. We often ended up broke before the end of the month. What we lived on, I don't know. I recall we pawned some jewelry once! Hard times.

Sarge

Solitary Wanderer

Yes, I remember being so broke while living in London in '87 as a 21 year old, that I ate cereal [dry] for dinner a few times. :o Couldn't imagine being that desperate these days.

Now, Sunday morning, as I type I can smell our traditional cooked breakfast which consists of organic sausages, fried potatoes and egg. It really is delicious :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 23, 2007, 01:24:20 PM
(Off topic....I'm listening to the Schuricht Bruckner 8th for the third time tonight...awesome!)

Knew you'd like it.  ;)

Kullervo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 23, 2007, 02:32:11 PM
Damn...that sucks. I'm going to stop posting here then. The thought of you staring in the "window" while I eat is going to ruin my appetite.

When Mrs. Rock and I were first married, times were tough. I was a staff sergeant and the pay was poor. Congress hadn't given us a decent raise in years. Inflation was offically at 15% (the Carter years) but it seemed to me more like 20 or 25%. We often ended up broke before the end of the month. What we lived on, I don't know. I recall we pawned some jewelry once! Hard times.

Sarge

I don't know why, but I thought you were British. Heh!

George

Quote from: toledobass on June 23, 2007, 01:51:14 PM
You're back at whole foods?  Do you mind if I ask if and what the employee discount is there?

Allan

Yes, 20%

It made taking a pay cut easier, as I buy a ton of my stuff there.  :)

Bogey

Been there, done that....my staple at that time:

I remember thinking back then that it sure would have been nice if the package came with the meat they showed on the front.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on June 23, 2007, 04:10:54 PM
Been there, done that....my staple at that time:

I remember thinking back then that it sure would have been nice if the package came with the meat they showed on the front.

I could do Ramen, but it's so bad for you. It's basically fried flour and salt.

At least cereal is part of a balanced breakfast.  0:)

Bogey

Quote from: Kullervo on June 23, 2007, 04:13:27 PM
I could do Ramen, but it's so bad for you. It's basically fried flour and salt.

At least cereal is part of a balanced breakfast.  0:)

Agreed!  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Actually a baked potato goes a long way as well.  A bit of slasa on the top and you are good to go.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Kullervo on June 23, 2007, 03:04:06 PM
I don't know why, but I thought you were British. Heh!

Really? I wonder what gave you that idea. My stiff upper lip? My bowler? My unflappable demeanor in the face of certain disaster? My frequent cries of Tally Ho and Pip pip, old chap? My unwavering allegiance to the Queen? ;D

Nah, I'm an American, Ohio born and bred, with fairly recent Teutonic blood (maternal grandparents were Saxons who immigrated to Ohio just before Hitler came to power. Dad's side were Saarlanders, farmers, who settled in America circa 1740).

Sarge

SonicMan46

Kullervo guess that we've all been there, and hope that your 'eating' choices improve soon!  ;) :D

Although I've been eating well for a number of decades, I can remember those 'lean' years - i.e. when I was a medical intern & a radiology resident - poor salary & 80 hour weeks, just not a fun time for great meals - but my wife was wonderful, she came up w/ some of the 'cheapest' dinners of all times - still remember 'fish sticks', hot dogs in rolls w/ Kraft cheese, and recipes my mother gave me from my childhood (we were pretty poor then), such as 'pink spaghetti' (just a pasta w/ some kind of cheese & Campbell's tomato soup) & 'tuna fish w/ noodles' (can of tuna fish, some type of pasta, & mushroom soup, again from Campbells) - of course, a night out at Pizza Hut w/ a pitcher of beer was enjoyable - but in those years, don't believe that I really complained -  :D