What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on June 29, 2007, 02:17:17 PM
Hit Panera Bread...

Their tomato mozzarella salad is the best thing ever. 

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 29, 2007, 02:24:52 PM
George,
I wish I ate as healthy as you, but in the long run I would starve because I would have to "google" everything that you have on your menu just to figure out what I am going to be eating!  :D

Hey, you could teach me a thing or two, I've never heard of Panera Bread.

Bogey

Quote from: Kullervo on June 29, 2007, 02:31:26 PM
Their tomato mozzarella salad is the best thing ever. 

We saw that on the menu and my wife almost went for it.....we are pretty pathetic when it comes to trying new things at restaurants since we do not eat out too often.  Will definitely give it a go next time around.

Quote from: George on June 29, 2007, 02:33:26 PM
Hey, you could teach me a thing or two, I've never heard of Panera Bread.

Here you go brother.  :)

http://www.panerabread.com/
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

M forever

Oh, great, another chain! I hatehatehate the fact that all these chains have destroyed all the local restaurants in the US, wherever you go, the same chains, the same damn IHOPS and Denny's and Olive Gardens and Chilis and all that prefabricated crap. How much would I like to go to an Italian restaurant again, run by actual Italians cooking actual Italian food instead of one of these chains with their prepackaged crap warmed up by illegal immigrants.

Greta

Spanish tapas tonight. :D Moroccan chicken pie, grilled quail on saffron rice + sangria and Spanish merlot. Yum.

We're also inundated here, with several Mexican (ugh, Tex-Mex actually *shudder*) restaurant chains that drown out the little places with the knock-you-flat homemade margaritas and fresh-baked tortillas.  :( To get truly great Mexican food you almost have to get out to San Antonio or deep south Texas anymore.

Kullervo

Quote from: M forever on June 29, 2007, 07:04:01 PM
Oh, great, another chain! I hatehatehate the fact that all these chains have destroyed all the local restaurants in the US, wherever you go, the same chains, the same damn IHOPS and Denny's and Olive Gardens and Chilis and all that prefabricated crap. How much would I like to go to an Italian restaurant again, run by actual Italians cooking actual Italian food instead of one of these chains with their prepackaged crap warmed up by illegal immigrants.

Unfortunately, this is the best I can do in Lakeland, Florida. I'll start eating Italian food cooked by Italians as soon as I find myself bestowed with a surfeit of money and move back to Boston. Until then, I'm eating at Panera without remorse.

M forever

Man, what are you doing *there*? I was in Florida a few weeks ago and found it pretty disappointing, flat, humid, and mostly crappy.
BTW, I discovered there is one of those Panera stores in the shopping mall just across the street from me. After these recommendations, maybe I will even swing by there and pick up one of those sandwiches. After all, I don't have much of other choices here either.

SonicMan46

Guys - boy, no problem finding 'good eats' in Florida - at least on my last trip to that state (posted EARLY IN THIS THREAD); plus, visit my MIL in Delray Beach annually - always great places to eat!  Hmmm - must setup another trip there -  ;D

For me recently, just returned from a too short 'overnight' trip on the Blueridge Parkway in southern Virginia - evening meal included a nice crab-mushroom appetizer followed by a nicely prepared mountain trout (just can't resist that fish!) - of course with a couple of glasses of chardonnay from a local VA winery, Chateau Morrisette just up the parkway, and near one of the most photographed sites on the road, Mabry Mill (below right) -  :)

M forever

Have you tried alligator?

That mill looks nice. Is it historic or fake?

david johnson

i think i'll have a bit of chinese sewer pond raised dreadfish w/a spoon of antibio fish paste.  probably a chilled bottle of thunderbird or tj swann to compliment it.

dj

Kullervo

Quote from: M forever on June 30, 2007, 08:59:25 PM

Alligator has a weird texture but it is nice enough. A tad bland, really.

Kullervo

SonicMan46

Quote from: M forever on June 30, 2007, 08:59:25 PM

That mill looks nice. Is it historic or fake?

M - I've had alligator plenty of times, but usually in Lousiana - as they say, tastes like chicken!  :D

Mabry Mill is a restoration - built originally around 1900 (short history HERE - the mill is still operational & National Park rangers give periodic histories; in addition, there are many other re-constructed buildings & farming implements used at the times - popular stop along that section of the Blueridge Pkway:)

sidoze

was putting together a salad today and just want to say that watercrass must be the biggest joke in the supermarket. All those stems and no leaves at all, are they taking the piss? I know it's very healthy, but really, it took about 10 minutes to pick out the majority of stems and toss them in the rubbish (don't tell me that I'm supposed to eat them  :-\ )

uffeviking

No, Tony, don't eat the stems of the watercress, they'll give you much too much roughage. Maybe you should look for a different greengrocer! I buy mine at a local super market with a large produce section and their watercress comes in a nice big bunch with lovely green leaves. I'll go shop tomorrow and take a picture for you so you know what to look for!  ;D

uffeviking

Fast shopping trip! Went to google and found exactly what I buy:

sidoze

that looks lovely (if a little professional :) ). Wait till you see the pic of what I get  :'( :'( :'(

Larry Rinkel

Having some time off, today I indulged myself for lunch at the Chachama Grill in Patchogue, NY, one of the best-rated restaurants on Long Island (27 Zagat points for food). I won't tell you what I paid for it, but believe me you could get quite a few tomato-mozzarella salads at Panera for the same money. (And yeah, I have one of those within walking distance too.) I started with a gazpacho flavored with basil and garnished with crabmeat. Then sautéed jumbo shrimp with basmati rice and julienned vegetables (the vegetables were the only weak element; they had been steamed but not well-seasoned). Finally a piece of warm chocolate cake with raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream.  :)

If I decide to eat dinner at all, I'll reheat some meatballs I made the other day with lamb and diced prunes, seasoned with allspice, garlic, parsley, and orange zest, and accompanied by couscous and a dab of plain yogurt.

sidoze

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on July 02, 2007, 03:21:59 PM
Finally a piece of warm chocolate cake with raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream.  :)

grrrrrr wish I could eat that now. I'm going to make buckwheat blinis with rice milk now. Rice milk is sweet--sweeter than soya--and that improves their natural taste (as it's just rice milk, buckwheat and an egg). On the downside it has a much higher sugar and carb rate so you pay for it. Right now there's not much I can put on them -- let them cool and wrap them in houmous which tastes pretty good (to me anyway). Otherwise make some chicken salad wraps for work tomorrow (which I'm not going to do as all the blinis will vanish within moments of coming off the frying pan).

orbital

Quote from: sidoze on July 01, 2007, 09:40:21 AM
was putting together a salad today and just want to say that watercrass must be the biggest joke in the supermarket. All those stems and no leaves at all, are they taking the piss? I know it's very healthy, but really, it took about 10 minutes to pick out the majority of stems and toss them in the rubbish (don't tell me that I'm supposed to eat them  :-\ )
If you can find them, try purslanes as an alternative to watercress. Much more distinctive flavor, edible delicious stems, plus it can be had as salad or you can cook them like spinach.

As a salad: just add diced tomatoes, sliced red onions, kirby cucumbers, sumac spice, pomegranate sour, olive oil and some lemon juice

As a meal: Cut the purslanes into little pieces, cook diced red onions in olive oil until they turn pink, add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. Then add diced tomatoes to the mix along with the purslanes. The leaves will give out their water. When they do add 1 tablespoon of rice (or preferably bulgur wheat). Add a little bit of water and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so. When cooked (stems from the purslanes must be soft) serve with plain yogurt topped with red crushed pepper.