What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Last night, LOML & I celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary w/ just a 'snack' dinner at home (took her out to a wonderful restaurant a few nights ago w/ a colleague couple also celebrating a July anniversary, even a few years beyond ours!):

Snacks consisted of several different 'real' cheeses (we usually eat 2% low fat, yuck!) and smoked fishes, trout & salmon - different sauces for the fish & a variety of crackers/bread + a superb bottle of a French Champagne - really wonderful - this is our 'holiday' type dinner; usually we order caviar from the web, but not this time.

Tomorrow off to the NC mountains for a couple of nights - two restaurants lined up for dinners - plus, I made her a delightful card on the computer - BOY, is that enough!  ;) ;D

Kullervo

SonicMan46

Well, a couple of posts ago, I was on my way to Blowing Rock in the NC mountains (near Boone), and just an hour & half from my home - a frequent trip for my wife & me - this time an extended anniversary celebration:

We just stayed a couple of nights but did have some excellent dinners - first night, we ate at the Best Cellar which is now part of the 'Inn at Ragged Gardens' a B&B in Blowing Rock - check out the MENU - plenty of specials - in fact, I started w/ a 'Lump Blue Crab' appetizer which I shared w/ my wife's 'Seared Tuna' - both delicious; main course, was a 'Veal Chop' - infused w/ a Cajun sauce & then grilled - wonderful mashed new potatoes & asparagus - we had to skip dessert (the beginning breads were varied, freshly made, and too filling!) -  :)

Second night, we ate at the Westglow Resort Spa - the restaurant there has changed its name to Rowland's - new ownership; this is a famous (and expensive) place to stay, and the food prepared caters to 'low calorie' dishes prepared just superbly - we both started w/ a salad (roasted pear, Rouquefort, walnuts, & fresh greens) - I had a 'fish' (can't remember the name!) which was firm like tuna but lighter in color - prepared to perfection and combined w/ a vegetable/mushroom combo (bok choy w/ some Japanese mushrooms) - just superb!  For dessert, we had the 'Berry Mountain Crisp' & the 'Kahlua Bananas Foster' - these are prepared 'low calorie' w/ bascially NO FAT - they were delicious - the chef has a number of cookbooks - we love to eat at this place; each of our meals probably added up to 600 calories or less (the menu even includes the calorie counts for each dish, plus these can prepared in a 'standard' fashion or even 'cut down' more, if desired) - anxious to return!  ;D

Kiddiarni

Quote from: Oscar WildeThere is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

mahlertitan

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on July 13, 2007, 02:11:12 PM
Snacks consisted of several different 'real' cheeses (we usually eat 2% low fat, yuck!) and smoked fishes, trout & salmon - different sauces for the fish & a variety of crackers/bread + a superb bottle of a French Champagne - really wonderful - this is our 'holiday' type dinner; usually we order caviar from the web, but not this time.

This sounds great Dave. My wife and I do a very similiar thing, usually on Xmas Eve, delicious! :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Don

I'm eating red meat tonight - a lot of it.  Anyone who gets in my way becomes part of the meal.

orbital

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 17, 2007, 03:48:31 PM
peach
My favorite fruit of all. Hard to find a decent one though  :-\

I had giant butter beans and rice.
For fruit/desert: half of a Sugar Baby (actually it is a small watermelon, I don't know why they suddenly started calling them SugarBabies)

George

Kullervo

Solitary Wanderer

Last night we had one of my faves :)

Marias marvelous marmalade and mustard marinade lamp chops ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

orbital

Bocaburger with tomatoes, onions, mayo and mustard. Half a corn on the cob on the side.

Bogey

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 18, 2007, 03:57:26 PM
Last night we had one of my faves :)

Marias marvelous marmalade and mustard marinade lamp chops ;)

Love everything about the "bolded" ingredient.  Maybe you could post her recipe.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Last night: Organic Fresh ground Peanut Butter on whole Spelt Bread. For dessert, three dates.  8)

Kullervo

Sardines that are probably a few years old and pita. Not bad, really.

greg

Quote from: SonicMan on May 16, 2007, 10:50:31 AM
Well, on my own last night (wife out at a dinner meeting!) - so, quick & simple:  Alaskan King Crab, just steamed & cooled + a spinach/mushroom salad w/ a little low-cal blue cheese dressing (my favorite!); OH, of course a light Chardonnay - tried the newest release of the Greg Norman (inexpensive & readily available in the grocery stores here) - not bad (probably would give it a mid-80s rating), but fine w/ the crab.  :D

this looks good, actually.....
i haven't had much seafood since my parents hate it (except for fish, if it's heavily cooked). so.... i don't know what crab tastes like.

i love squid, though.....  0:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: greg on July 19, 2007, 12:01:01 PM
this looks good, actually.....
i haven't had much seafood since my parents hate it (except for fish, if it's heavily cooked). so.... i don't know what crab tastes like.
i love squid, though.....  0:)

Greg -LOL!  ;D  That post was from a few months ago, but seemed to 'peak' your interest - I love all sorts of crab - King Crab from the Alaska area is one of the biggest!  Expensive but delicious!

Blue Crab (below, left) is a special treat in my area (mid-Atlantic states) - just all sorts of options from 'steamed & peppered', lumped as an appetizer (just had that in the mountains a few days ago), or cooked into some main course (need to visit Charleston or Savannah for some of the best preparations).

Stone Crab (below,right) - the orange/black claws, from the waters around FL - just had some in May!  Several years ago, we were on the west coast of southern FL in Everglades City - took a boat tour that discussed the catching & harvesting of stone crabs - basically these 'critters' are caught, the claws pulled off, & the body tossed back into the sea (the claws regenerate!); these are expensive also & come in various sizes (the larger, the more $$) - Joe's Crab House in Miami is a great option!

Dungeness Crab (lower) - west coast crab popular in San Francisco down on the bay, but these are shipped to the east coast (and I've had them cooked live in east coast restaurants) - this crab can be big & there is tasty 'meat' in the body & the claws - a feast!  One of my favorite lunches is in San Fran on the Bay (or across the Bay in Sausalito or Tiburon) is a half of a chilled Dungeness crab w/ a few glasses of Chardonnay, plus a nice fresh salad!

Well, those are the crabs that I usually eat - I'm sure many others exist, but give these a try!  :D

Drasko

Kullervo

Dried mango. Pretty gross, really.

SonicMan46

Just returned from a trip to Indianapolis - visit to our son - ate at a couple of seafood chains (small chains) that had surprising excellent food; unfortunately none are located in North Carolina (at least yet!):

Mitchell's Fish Market - started out w/ an assortment of oysters followed by a swordfish main course - all excellent; CLICK on the name for a link to see if there might be a location near you - would easily return!   :)

Kona Grill - started out w/ some sushi shared w/ my wife (quite good!), and then had the halibut w/ bok choy & some great flavored mash potatoes - can't find a good link, but apparently a mid-west chain, also!  :D