What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: M forever on August 23, 2007, 03:17:09 AM
Allan - that's not a sausage, it's a patty!

Yes...an uncased suasage!!!! ;D

I like breakfast sausages better in patties rather than links.  It's also my first time trying out making sausage so I wanted to be sure that 1) I could process it and 2)the actual taste difference between my own and something store bought turned out to be something significant  before I went spending some dough on a sausage stuffer!!!!!!

I'll try some of the German sausages before too long.  The bummer is that although they will probably turn out nicely,  I don't have a good taste reference to compare. :(

Anyone who enjoys time in the kitchen should try making there own sausages.  It's very satisfying work and the results are tasty.  My breakfasts have been just a little more enjoyable not only because of the flavor but also because I know exactly who made that sausage.

Allan

SonicMan46

Just returned from a 6-day vacation to Quebec - 3 nights in La Malbaie & another 3 nights in Quebec City (posted a short list of activities & hotels w/ pics in the 'vacation thread') - La Malbaie is in the Charlevoix area on the St. Lawrence River, just a great place for fresh produce, cheese, animals of all kinds (e.g. had an emu appetizer one night & veal medallions another); of course near Quebec City is the Ile d'Orleans, an island delight, esp. for fruits & veggies, and of course in August, all in full production!  :P

Our third visit to this Canadian Province and second to Quebec City - the eating is fabulous and the atmosphere quite European - French speaking (which my wife gave a good try - I do a little Spanish); but some dining highlights:

- Charlevoix cheese - cow & goat - these were just superb & varied; goat varieties quite mild (and good to my taste)!
- Veal medallions - tender & tasteful - I'm a NUT for veal & this was some of the best that I've eaten!
- Mussels w/ frittes - a favorite that we sampled several times; the frittes are like those in Belgium & France - thin, crisp, and tasty - just superb!
- Salmon - smoked, steamed, etc. - all good!  Of course, plenty of other seafood, smoked or otherwise - YES!
- Wild game - one night dined at the Aux Anciens Canadiens restaurant - we both had the 'Trio of filets' which that night included stag, bison, & caribou (liked the latter the best!) - medium rare & wonderful; had a couple of glasses of California Syrah - great combo!
- Smoked meat sandwiches w/ frittes!  Enjoyed this years ago - the 'corn beef' version of Quebec - on French style bread & just tasty, esp. w/ a beer cool from the tap!  My two lunches in the 'lower old town' were mussels & the smoked meat - really hard to BEAT!
- Le Continental restaurant (our last night, unfortunately!) - started out w/ a wonderful salad (w/ local blue cheese - hmmm!); I had snow crabs from Gaspe, de-shelled w/ a delicate hollandaise sauce (there is a difference I must say after eating snow crabs for decades); wife had veal sweetbreads (something she cannot resist on a menu - a 'solid organ' fan!) - just a wonderful ending to our trip!
- Deserts - can't even list them - all excellent + just great coffees!

Again, if you want a trip that is like goin' to Europe but closer if you live in the USA at least, give Quebec a try - you'll not regret the experience - the eating is just fabulous -  ;D 8)

Lilas Pastia

Dave, it's great to see you had such a nice time there!

Eating out is a Quebec(*) specialty, often bordering on the religious experience 0:)

My first experience with veal sweetbreads was precisely at the Continental 30 years ago. What a delicacy! But I've never had emu before :o. I would imagine it's like ostrich, dark red and very lean ? For smoked meat, though, you have to come to Montreal - THE place for smoked meat  8)

Charlevoix cheeses have become the most renowned dairy produce in Canada. La Sauvagine and dozens of others have acquired quite a reputation.

(*) Quebec meant as the territory, not the city - like NYC and NY State.

toledobass

Did you get to try or see poutine on a menu anywhere?  That stuff sounds awsome.

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on August 30, 2007, 03:08:59 PM
wife had veal sweetbreads (something she cannot resist on a menu - a 'solid organ' fan!) - just a wonderful ending to our trip!

Awsome,  next time you go to San Francisco look up a restaurant called Incanto.  The chef there offers various offal dishes of all sorts amongst other offerings that are rustic Italian inspired.

Allan

Lilas Pastia

Tomorrow I'm going to the benedictine abbey of Saint-Benoit. Beside the obvious spiritual activities, the good monks know that the good life starts on this earth. These are some of the things I'll be checking out after Mass and Nones:

Cheese

Cider

Apples

Maple produce

Of course they have large orchards and maple tree woods.

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on August 30, 2007, 05:22:12 PM
Did you get to try or see poutine on a menu anywhere?  That stuff sounds awsome.=

Hello Allan - YES, Poutine was mentioned a number of times, esp. on the 2-hr 'City Tour' that we took - and even a great place was mentioned for the dish - check HERE for a description - did not sound that great to us, but our guide was quite enthusiastic - can't remember the place he recommended - Dave  :D

Lilas Pastia

What I find most remarkable with Poutine is the fact that someone can be named by it !

This is a mega calorie, hyper-cholesterolistic dish. The secret lies in the cheese curds. I think it's exclusive. Never seen it elsewhere. A couple of times a year is ok, because it's really tasty. But never get addicted to the stuff  :o

Thanks for the link, Dave, I had no idea poutine was on Wikipedia! The Manchester NH connection (one of the images) is explained by the fact that half of its people are descendants from Quebecois immigrants.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 30, 2007, 05:21:47 PM
Dave, it's great to see you had such a nice time there!

Eating out is a Quebec(*) specialty, often bordering on the religious experience 0:)

My first experience with veal sweetbreads was precisely at the Continental 30 years ago. What a delicacy! But I've never had emu before :o. I would imagine it's like ostrich, dark red and very lean ? For smoked meat, though, you have to come to Montreal - THE place for smoked meat  8)

Charlevoix cheeses have become the most renowned dairy produce in Canada. La Sauvagine and dozens of others have acquired quite a reputation.

André - believe the 'religious experience' - so many restaurants to pick & such variety!  ;D

Great that you had 'veal sweetbreads' @ the same restaurant - my wife cannot resist this selection - gave them a taste myself - superb!  I've gotten away from 'solid organs' myself but these were outstanding!  Maybe I'll return to my previous eating pleasures?  ;) :)

Concerning the Emu, my second try - a very lean meat - I've eaten ostrich many times, so the appearance, texture, and taste is similar - love these 'red bird' meats w/ Pinot Noir - my special combo!  ;)

Finally, those Charlevoix cheeses were just outstanding - great to have them in their place of origin - in fact, the entire area, plus the Isle of Orleans, were just a wonderful experience - hope that others will appreciate these posts & decide on a visit - not to be MISSED!

Dave

Novi

Quote from: SonicMan on August 30, 2007, 03:08:59 PM
Just returned from a 6-day vacation to Quebec - 3 nights in La Malbaie & another 3 nights in Quebec City (posted a short list of activities & hotels w/ pics in the 'vacation thread') - La Malbaie is in the Charlevoix area on the St. Lawrence River, just a great place for fresh produce, cheese, animals of all kinds (e.g. had an emu appetizer one night & veal medallions another); of course near Quebec City is the Ile d'Orleans, an island delight, esp. for fruits & veggies, and of course in August, all in full production!  :P

Our third visit to this Canadian Province and second to Quebec City - the eating is fabulous and the atmosphere quite European - French speaking (which my wife gave a good try - I do a little Spanish); but some dining highlights:

- Charlevoix cheese - cow & goat - these were just superb & varied; goat varieties quite mild (and good to my taste)!
- Veal medallions - tender & tasteful - I'm a NUT for veal & this was some of the best that I've eaten!
- Mussels w/ frittes - a favorite that we sampled several times; the frittes are like those in Belgium & France - thin, crisp, and tasty - just superb!
- Salmon - smoked, steamed, etc. - all good!  Of course, plenty of other seafood, smoked or otherwise - YES!
- Wild game - one night dined at the Aux Anciens Canadiens restaurant - we both had the 'Trio of filets' which that night included stag, bison, & caribou (liked the latter the best!) - medium rare & wonderful; had a couple of glasses of California Syrah - great combo!
- Smoked meat sandwiches w/ frittes!  Enjoyed this years ago - the 'corn beef' version of Quebec - on French style bread & just tasty, esp. w/ a beer cool from the tap!  My two lunches in the 'lower old town' were mussels & the smoked meat - really hard to BEAT!
- Le Continental restaurant (our last night, unfortunately!) - started out w/ a wonderful salad (w/ local blue cheese - hmmm!); I had snow crabs from Gaspe, de-shelled w/ a delicate hollandaise sauce (there is a difference I must say after eating snow crabs for decades); wife had veal sweetbreads (something she cannot resist on a menu - a 'solid organ' fan!) - just a wonderful ending to our trip!
- Deserts - can't even list them - all excellent + just great coffees!

Again, if you want a trip that is like goin' to Europe but closer if you live in the USA at least, give Quebec a try - you'll not regret the experience - the eating is just fabulous -  ;D 8)

SonicMan, just wanted to say that I love reading your foodie posts. And that's really saying something, since I'm a vegetarian with absolutely no desire to partake of fish or flesh :D.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Novitiate on August 30, 2007, 07:01:01 PM
SonicMan, just wanted to say that I love reading your foodie posts. And that's really saying something, since I'm a vegetarian with absolutely no desire to partake of fish or flesh :D.

Novitiate - LOL  :D - but I do like veggies - and I must say that the Charlevoix area of Quebec is a vegetable haven - road side stands, farmer's markets, etc., so you would find PLENTY to eat there, also -  :)

маразм1

tai food, to celebrate the...payday!

BorisG

George

Parmesian Pear Endive Salad

Foccacia with sun dried tomato spread

Whole Wheat Fettuccine Alfredo

8)

Kullervo

Saul

toledobass

Quote from: Saul on September 03, 2007, 03:51:23 AM
Home made Pizza...

Dude....that is one awful post.  A pizza post,  especially one about a pie you've made yourself,  needs more detail than that.

Allan

George

Caesar salad

5 Slices of Brick Oven Pizza with fresh Garlic, Basil, extra Mozzarella and onion.

toledobass

Quote from: George on September 03, 2007, 05:25:23 AM
Caesar salad

5 Slices of Brick Oven Pizza with fresh Garlic, Basil, extra Mozzarella and onion.

Nice job George. ;D

Allan