What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Ha!  Funny Bogey.  I do feel like I'm on my game lately though ;D

Split pea soup was wonderful last night and also today for lunch:

And tonight's comfort food, congee with braised pork and a poached egg:

Wish you were here to eat and listen to music with me!
A

Bogey

Love poached eggs.  Dang Alan, time you threw down with Bobby!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

toledobass

Bogey

Linda preparing a wonderful chicken fricassee!

Leftovers need not apply.

SonicMan46

Bill - that chicken dish looks great!  Susan makes one similar and great w/ a white wine - glad that 'old' F-C chardonnay worked out for you two - I've visited that winery twice; mainly buy their Sauvignon Blanc now but I may need to get back to trying the other again.

For us, we are on a 5-night trip to Kiawah Island (3 nights in a beautiful lagoon condo - believe that I posted our last trip here in the vacation thread) & Charleston (2 nights @ the Charleston Place).

Last night we ate @ the Atlantic Room (pic below - we had the middle table by the window) at the Ocean Course (which held the 2012 PGA) - scene overlooks the 18th green & the Atlantic Ocean - hence the name; quite a windy 'links style' course for golf fans, here! 

We started out sharing a dozen oysters on the half shell (Cape May & Blue Points) - deliciously fresh and different - disappeared fast (our usual!).

Susan had the Shrimp & Grits - rice grits were used, shrimp were numerous & large, and the sauce (flavored w/ some smoked local pork) was just heavenly.  I had the Flounder (bought that morning @ a local dock right off the boat) was pan seared perfectly; placed over a mixed asparagus (i.e. green & white slices) w/ morel mushrooms, and a green sauce that just complemented the preparation.  I had a couple of glasses of sauvignon blanc from the Loire Vly.  Light dessert - homemade trio of sorbets (lemon, blackberry, & blood orange) shared.

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 27, 2014, 07:03:03 AM
Bill - that chicken dish looks great!  Susan makes one similar and great w/ a white wine - glad that 'old' F-C chardonnay worked out for you two - I've visited that winery twice; mainly buy their Sauvignon Blanc now but I may need to get back to trying the other again.

Makes sense as this bottle was a gift in 2011 from relatives in the Atlanta area.

toledobass

Look at that cast iron SKILLET!!!!

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 27, 2014, 02:54:12 PM
Look at that cast iron SKILLET!!!!

My grandfather bought that for us for a wedding gift.  He said every newly married couple should have one.  It has come in handy!

SonicMan46

Well, another wonderful dinner on Kiawah Island - this time we ate at the Jasmine Porch inside the Sanctuary Hotel (pic below) - walked the beach in that area yesterday; our 2-bedroom condo is just a 5 minute drive from this fabulous hotel (we've not stayed there because a single room is twice of cost of our condo per night, plus we love the spaciousness & relaxing feeling of the condo).

As usual (when available & fresh), we started out sharing a dozen oysters on the half shell - this time from Stump Bay, North Carolina which is close to New Bern & Beaufort (and the Cedar Island Ferry which transports you & your car to Ocracoke on the Outer Banks).

Susan had a whole flounder fillet which was flash fried along w/ a beurre blanc sauce, green beans, and a risotto w/ shrimp & sausage. I had the mahi mahi laid on top of a Portuguese-style stew w/ charred octopus, chickpeas, arugula, and feta cheese (sounds a little weird but it worked together!); we shared a dessert of a fresh blueberry crusted pie w/ vanilla ice cream!

Tomorrow, onto Charleston for 2 nights, more fine dining, and then back home!  Dave :)

toledobass

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2014, 05:53:46 PM
My grandfather bought that for us for a wedding gift.  He said every newly married couple everybody should have one.  It has come in handy!

Fixed your post.  ;)

North Star

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2014, 05:53:46 PM
My grandfather bought that for us for a wedding gift.  He said every newly married couple should have one.  It has come in handy!
Especially if the marriage isn't working  8)
But yes, cast iron skillets should be mandatory.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on March 28, 2014, 04:20:49 AM

Fixed your post.  ;)

Word.

Quote from: North Star on March 28, 2014, 04:23:12 AM
Especially if the marriage isn't working  8)
But yes, cast iron skillets should be mandatory.

Word

SonicMan46

Well, Susan & I are now in Charleston, South Carolina (about 45 mins north of Kiawah Island) - if you're in the mid-Atlantic states, Charleston & Savannah, Georgia are must visits - historic, beautiful old architecture, and great eating cultures.

Tonight, Hank's Seafood Restaurant, about a block+ from our hotel (Charleston Place) - for starters, we had their Seafood Ceviche, combination of fish/shellfish marinated in lime/cilantro/garlic/etc. - pieces were thick and tender w/ a lot of lime flavor; also, AGAIN, a dozen oysters on the half shelf - 3 different types, i.e. Blue Points from New England, Gulf Coast, and Pacific Northwest (British Columbia), all were fresh & tasty!

Main courses - Susan had their Seafood A La Wandoo (sautéed shrimp, scallops, & fish deglazed w/ sherry and finished w/ crabmeat, button mushrooms, & scallions in a saffron cream sauce served over fried grit cakes); I was less adventuresome, had grilled swordfish w/ a champagne citrus beurre blanc sauce place on top of asparagus which was great w/ that sauce (swordfish is a special treat for me but not too often - toxic issues, I guess?).

For dessert, we shared a delicious and extremely tart Key Lime Pie which came w/ 3 different sauces & a glass of Inniskillin Vidal icewine + some coffee - NOW, there are MANY excellent restaurants in Charleston - Hank's is certainly one of the tops - our 3rd or 4th visit and have never been disappointed!  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Due to our non-winter (we didn't have a single day of below-freezing temps) Spargel season began two weeks early this year. We've been enjoying freshly harvested aspargus from local farmers since the beginning of the month. Last night we had it with fresh scallops that were fried in butter and olive oil with garlic, shallots and spring onions. We drank Champagne from Augé Pere & Fils, their Brut Vieilles Vignes (old vine) Blanc de Noirs Premier Cru.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bwv 1080

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 28, 2014, 06:18:14 PM
Well, Susan & I are now in Charleston, South Carolina (about 45 mins north of Kiawah Island) - if you're in the mid-Atlantic states, Charleston & Savannah, Georgia are must visits - historic, beautiful old architecture, and great eating cultures.

Tonight, Hank's Seafood Restaurant, about a block+ from our hotel (Charleston Place) - for starters, we had their Seafood Ceviche, combination of fish/shellfish marinated in lime/cilantro/garlic/etc. - pieces were thick and tender w/ a lot of lime flavor; also, AGAIN, a dozen oysters on the half shelf - 3 different types, i.e. Blue Points from New England, Gulf Coast, and Pacific Northwest (British Columbia), all were fresh & tasty!

Main courses - Susan had their Seafood A La Wandoo (sautéed shrimp, scallops, & fish deglazed w/ sherry and finished w/ crabmeat, button mushrooms, & scallions in a saffron cream sauce served over fried grit cakes); I was less adventuresome, had grilled swordfish w/ a champagne citrus beurre blanc sauce place on top of asparagus which was great w/ that sauce (swordfish is a special treat for me but not too often - toxic issues, I guess?).

For dessert, we shared a delicious and extremely tart Key Lime Pie which came w/ 3 different sauces & a glass of Inniskillin Vidal icewine + some coffee - NOW, there are MANY excellent restaurants in Charleston - Hank's is certainly one of the tops - our 3rd or 4th visit and have never been disappointed!  Dave :)

Charleston has some of the best food in the country, loved the shrimp & grits and the yellow sauce at Melvin's BBQ

Bogey

Garnish for the wine: Marinated and grilled rib-eyes.

Fresh chives from our backyard for the baked spuds:

and some choice asparagus au gratin:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on May 11, 2014, 06:26:51 PM
Garnish for the wine: Marinated and grilled rib-eyes.

;D :D ;D

We both ate well, Bill  8) Mrs. Rock slaved away several hours in the kitchen making Tajine, a Moroccan stew with chicken, chickpeas, eggplant, fennel, onion, garlic, ginger, hot peppers, ras el hanout (a North African spice mixture), coriander seeds, allspice seeds, honey, cumin, salt and pepper, garnished with cilantro leaves. Served with couscous. A dollop of joghurt helped cut the heat. We drank a Bordeaux rosé from Chateau de Beauregard-Ducourt. Left click to enlarge images.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Chops on the grill with a orange Cuban salsa.  Garnished with corn on the cob with chive butter and cucumber salad.  We tried something new to keep the chops moist.  We patted them down and then stuck them in the freezer 45 minutes before grilling.  Perfect.

Some French wine at a $12 price point, to top it off.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

I am fixing yummy tofu burgers tonight - they take a bit o' time to prepare but are well worth it.  Anyone want the recipe?