What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: SonicMan on September 10, 2007, 07:04:10 PM
Allan - LOL!  ;D  I've had a Laguiole corkscrew for years - like the ones below, but mine has a 'horned' handle - can't even guess how many corks it has pulled over the years!  But, looks new & still works fine - not cheap, but a life long companion! The new knives are just gorgeous (pic does not do them justice) - fit your hand beautifully (like an extension of your fingers), and cut w/ ease - the blades have a 'fine' serration, and the recommendation for cleaning is just hand wiping (the sales person in Quebec City stated that they never need sharpening?  True?  Not sure, but we'll do some research) - not cheap but should last forever - but be aware of 'fakes' on the market w/ the same name - Dave  :)

I've wanted one of those corkscrews for years.  Do you still have the little leather case it scomes with? They are pricey but they are crafted so well.  The weight and feel in the hand enhances the process for me.....but I'm a guy who likes stuff that makes mundane things pleasurable.  I could never get into those new rabbit corkscrews.  I like the act of the little bit of work and the rabbit things steal that away from me.  Do those knives have that same kind of weight that the corkscrew has?

Allan

SonicMan46

Quote from: toledobass on September 10, 2007, 07:55:05 PM
I've wanted one of those corkscrews for years.  Do you still have the little leather case it scomes with? They are pricey but they are crafted so well.  The weight and feel in the hand enhances the process for me.....but I'm a guy who likes stuff that makes mundane things pleasurable.  I could never get into those new rabbit corkscrews.  I like the act of the little bit of work and the rabbit things steal that away from me.  Do those knives have that same kind of weight that the corkscrew has?

Sure, still have the leather case - has two snaps & imprinted "Chateau Vialis Creation Laguiole" - however, sits in a drawer in my den bar.  I've had 'so many' corkscrews over the years - many have broke or just not worked that well; have had those 'special' types which I often did not like; even had a battery operated one (can't remember the brand) - did well for a couple of weeks, then broke (just threw it away).  The 'leverage' ones are simple, work fine, and can be bought cheaply (available at most wineries for $2-$5).

The knives that we just bought feel 'light' in the hand - weight just 3 oz. - about 9" in length w/ the handle & blade split evenly - we will certainly give them a 'workup' in the next few months.

Dave

uffeviking

Quote from: toledobass on September 10, 2007, 07:55:05 PM
I could never get into those new rabbit corkscrews.  I like the act of the little bit of work and the rabbit things steal that away from me. 
Allan

Ahem! In that case, Sir, please undertake a lot of trips to the State of Washington and kindly uncork my bottles of Lemberger, etc., because arthritis in the left thumb of this left-hander makes it practically impossible to use any corkscrew. What you refer to as 'the rabbit thing', saved me from buying and drinking wine bottled in those screw-top containers.  ;)

toledobass

Quote from: uffeviking on September 10, 2007, 08:21:25 PM
Ahem! In that case, Sir, please undertake a lot of trips to the State of Washington and kindly uncork my bottles of Lemberger, etc., because arthritis in the left thumb of this left-hander makes it practically impossible to use any corkscrew. What you refer to as 'the rabbit thing', saved me from buying and drinking wine bottled in those screw-top containers.  ;)

Liz,

The Mrs. will be singing with Seattle Opera later this season.  If I make it out, and you buy me a Languiole corkscrew, I'll open as many bottles as you want!!!!  ;D

Allan

uffeviking

Honestly, Allan, I tried but as you can see, they are out of stock and surely you wouldn't settle for the cheaper edition  ::)

Home » Special and Rare Chateau Laguiole Corkscrews

Chateau Laguiole Bicolor Horn Details

Engraved items are shipped same or next day, Guarantee!
Select Gift-wrap: Maybe next time - Thank you! Free with any engravings. For Her! Free with any engravings. For Him! Yes please for Her (+$1.49) Yes please for Him (+$1.49)
Free Greeting card: Maybe next time - Thank you! This is great! Yes please (Free)
Engraving location: Please select a location. Boot / lever top Boot/lever + 2007 on blade (+$3.00) Boot/ lever + date on blade (+$5.00)
Fonts/Monograms: Please select a font or monogram. Monogram (Interlock)First, Last, Middle Monogram (Roman)First, Last, Middle Monogram (Pallace)First, Last, Middle Monogram (Circle)First, Last, Middle Roman Century Palace Pirate Parisian Fiolex Girls Vivaldi Coch
List Price: $149.00

Out of Stock

Just as well, because I am sure the Mrs. would not like for you to come to my house at least three times a week for bottle opening chores!  ;)

Lis

toledobass

Lis, (got the spelling!!!! sorry bout that)

Thanks for trying.  Very sweet of you. ;D

Allan

George

Arrowhead Mills Spelt Flakes

Edensoy Original Soy milk

Kullervo

Just made some eggs poached in a tomato sauce served over a toasted English muffin. Very satisfying and took no time at all.

Heather Harrison

I was fortunate enough to find white peaches at the Farmers' Market this morning.  The season for these peaches in Utah is very short, and few growers bother with them because most people around here don't really know what they are.  I sometimes see them in grocery stores, but peaches of any kind don't travel well if they are ripe, so they are picked green and they aren't any good.  For those who haven't tried them, white peaches are lower in acid, sweeter, and more delicate in flavor than the usual yellow-orange varieties.  I strongly recommend only buying them from local growers who have picked them ripe; if they are picked green, they are downright nasty.

Heather

Saul

Angel hair thin pasta with a sauce that I made.

Take 2 cups of plain yogurt
2 chopped garlics
half chopped red onion
Half a cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
One table spoon virgin olive oil.

Mix it all up, let it sit for 20 minutes in the fridge.

When the Pasta is hot and ready.

Serve the pasta when its hot so the cheese from the sauce will melt.

It was very delicious.

Scriptavolant

A paté made of minced chilli peppers and olive oil, on bread.

DavidW

Quote from: Saul on September 16, 2007, 05:09:28 PM
Angel hair thin pasta with a sauce that I made.

Take 2 cups of plain yogurt
2 chopped garlics
half chopped red onion
Half a cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
One table spoon virgin olive oil.

Mix it all up, let it sit for 20 minutes in the fridge.

When the Pasta is hot and ready.

Serve the pasta when its hot so the cheese from the sauce will melt.

It was very delicious.

That sounds great Saul, I think I'll try it later this week. :)

Saul

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2007, 05:31:35 PM
That sounds great Saul, I think I'll try it later this week. :)

Cool!

By the way, I think some sweet wine will go very well with this dish.

DavidW

Quote from: Saul on September 16, 2007, 05:36:31 PM
Cool!

By the way, I think some sweet wine will go very well with this dish.

Alrighty, I'll have it with a Cabernet Sauvignon then. :)

SonicMan46

Well, I've not posted in a while - below, some recent outings:

Our Italian Bistro - had my usual Veal Piccata wonderful - wife had Gnocchi + Scallops w/ a wonderful lobster based sauce - quite superb!

Noble's Grille in my home town (Winston-Salem, NC) - new chef, so not sure 'what' to expect! But, pleasant dining experience - started out w/ a Quail grilled appetizer followed by a seared Tuna w/ a wonderful wasabi sauce - came off their 'a la carte' menu w/ some delicious spinach, quite simpe & great - especially w/ a few glasses of a Pinot Noir!

Tonight after out W-S concert (reported in the 'listening thread'), paid a visit to our nearby Birch Lodge - new treat for me - vension chops (like lamb chops - same cut!) - medium rare & quite delicious - some steamed asparagus & a few glasses of Australian Pinot Noir - excellent!  :D

Solitary Wanderer

We had two days in Wellington last week and had dinner at Martin Boselys which was the supreme winner of this years Cusine Resturant of the year award.

Heres the food!

It was fine dining indeed. Delicious food with perfect seasoning and presentation. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

SonicMan46

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on September 16, 2007, 06:10:04 PM
We had two days in Wellington last week and had dinner at Martin Boselys which was the supreme winner of this years Cusine Resturant of the year award.

It was fine dining indeed. Delicious food with perfect seasoning and presentation. :)

SW - those dishes & the menu listings look great!  Wish we had been there -  ;D

BTW - what is the conversion to US dollars for those prices?   :)

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on September 17, 2007, 05:55:15 AM
SW - those dishes & the menu listings look great!  Wish we had been there -  ;D

BTW - what is the conversion to US dollars for those prices?   :)

Try this for any currency conversion:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

;)

dtwilbanks

I livened up the sliced apple I had for breakfast by dumping caramel over it.  ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: uffeviking on September 17, 2007, 06:56:45 AM
Try this for any currency conversion:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

;)

Lis thanks, 40 NZD = $28+ US currently; so, great looking menu & good prices!  And, of course, the advantage of having a WIDE selection of the wines from New Zealand, likely at excellent prices, too!  ;D