What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on September 17, 2007, 09:07:53 AM
Lis thanks, 40 NZD = $28+ US currently; so, great looking menu & good prices!  And, of course, the advantage of having a WIDE selection of the wines from New Zealand, likely at excellent prices, too!  ;D

I should have mentioned that I had the Roast Duck and Maria had the Marlin.

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Kullervo

Quote from: SonicMan on September 16, 2007, 05:53:11 PM
Our Italian Bistro - had my usual Veal Piccata wonderful - wife had Gnocchi + Scallops w/ a wonderful lobster based sauce - quite superb!

That sounds delicious. Gnocchi is really fun to make. You should try it at home sometime. :)

Saul

I spend Rosh Hashana at my sister's.
Among the many delicacies we had at my sister's Rosh Hashana meals:

Chicken In Pomegranate Sauce. It literally melts in your mouth.

Cooked sliced tongue. Very soft and delicious.

Cauliflower Kugel. Was a treat.

Chicken in honey sauce.

Potato Gugel.

Chulent. A traditional Jewish dish made from meat, beans and potatoes, slowly cooked to achieve tenderness, it is served with buckwheat and sweet carrots.

Cooked Salmon, Baked Salmon, and gefiltefish.

Homemade eggplant salad with a garlic twist.

Stuffed cabbage with turkey.

Roasted chicken liver. Served together with cooked eggs.

For dessert:

My sister's home made apple cake.
The bakery's coffee cake.
Cream chocolate cake.
Fruit compote.
Fruit Punch.
Fresh fruits.
Dried fruits.

We had a sweet wine for Rosh hashana, it was Kedem's Royal Blush, a very fine wine.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Corey on September 17, 2007, 12:24:18 PM
That sounds delicious. Gnocchi is really fun to make. You should try it at home sometime. :)

Corey - actually, I should have added Gnocchi w/ Shrimps/Scallops - really a wonderful combination - LOML has made gnocchi @ home (but bought @ a gourmet store - quite good I might say, but she has not done completely homemade gnocchi - it is an effort - we have Lydia's cookbook & I've seen an episode on the 'Food Channel' w/ her making gnocchi - not easy!) - for those who may not know the wonderful variety of Italian pasta (or pasta-like) offerings (and I'm no expert) - Gnocchi are basically potato dumplings (so just think of the varied recipes!); Orzo - wheat-based pasta shaped to look like rice (of course, don't forget the 'real' Italian rice dish, always w/ mutliple variations, Risotto; and finally Polenta, which is corn-based - keep in mind that the concept of modern day Italian foods is so much based on Columbus accidentally 'bumping into' the Americas, i.e. corn, potatoes, & tomatoes are from the Western Hemisphere -  ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Saul on September 17, 2007, 01:32:30 PM
I spend Rosh Hashana at my sister's.
Among the many delicacies we had at my sister's Rosh Hashana meals:

Chicken In Pomegranate Sauce. It literally melts in your mouth.

Cooked sliced tongue. Very soft and delicious.........................................

Saul - I won't quote your entire meal, but real looks interesting & tasty - my wife was brought up Jewish, and would LOVE this experience - her father adored 'tongue' sandwiches' - kind of like a 'lean' corned beef when I've tasted them - thanks for the listing - BTW, everytime we travel to a city w/ excellent Jewish Delis, I HAVE to take her in for a lunch or dinner - just 'one of those things' for her!  :D

orbital

A quick homemade salad with these ingredients:

+   

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on September 17, 2007, 04:54:26 PM
Corey - it is an effort - we have Lydia's cookbook & I've seen an episode on the 'Food Channel' w/ her making gnocchi - not easy!)

One of the biggest obstacles to making easy and successful gnocchi is the wrong choice of potatoes. Most of the commonly available varieties are too watery. Stay away from the ones grown in Idaho! I only use Yukon Golds, a slightly yellow variety with lots of potato starch. It's the starch holding the dough together, requiring less flour. The same holds true if you attempt to make German Kartoffelknodel.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on September 10, 2007, 06:08:18 PM
Plus, a special treat - purchased a new set of Laguiole steak knives on our recent trip to Quebec City  - set of 6 in a nice case, shown below - Rosewood handles - cut the duck breast like butter!   8)

We love our set. Used them last Sunday when we had Mrs. Rock's folks over for charcoal grilled filet mignon (we drank a tasty--but overly ripe for me--Syrah from Argentina).

Coincidently, two weeks ago, while showing my visiting relatives Heidelberg, I saw a collection of Laguiole corkscrew pocket knives in a window in a shop on the pedestrian-only main street. I was really tempted but passed this time. A future purchase for sure.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: orbital on September 17, 2007, 07:56:46 PM
A quick homemade salad with these ingredients:

+   

Yum.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

toledobass

Quote from: uffeviking on September 17, 2007, 08:14:52 PM
One of the biggest obstacles to making easy and successful gnocchi is the wrong choice of potatoes. Most of the commonly available varieties are too watery. Stay away from the ones grown in Idaho! I only use Yukon Golds, a slightly yellow variety with lots of potato starch. It's the starch holding the dough together, requiring less flour. The same holds true if you attempt to make German Kartoffelknodel.  :)

Also try steaming them rather than boiling. Keeps them lighter and less waterlogged.

Allan

toledobass

One hell of a satisfying pizza....Tomatoes and a fresh egg.

Allan

orbital

Quote from: George on September 18, 2007, 05:31:14 AM
Ditto that Yum and add another Yum.  8)

Forgot to put up diced tomatoes.

George, you should try this Gardenburger Chicken(less) cutlet, it tastes great. You put it on the skillet with a few drops of oil, the crust becomes crunchy, then you slice it into the salad  :P

George

Quote from: orbital on September 18, 2007, 05:39:16 AM
Forgot to put up diced tomatoes.

George, you should try this Gardenburger Chicken(less) cutlet, it tastes great. You put it on the skillet with a few drops of oil, the crust becomes crunchy, then you slice it into the salad  :P

I have trouble digesting those processed soy thingees. It's a shame, 'cause there's a plethera of it available for us Veggies.  :-[

orbital

Quote from: George on September 18, 2007, 05:42:04 AM
I have trouble digesting those processed soy thingees. It's a shame, 'cause there's a plethera of it available for us Veggies.  :-[
That's too bad, not even the soy protein burgers? (I chop them to make bolognese sauce for pasta)

George

Quote from: orbital on September 18, 2007, 05:44:59 AM
That's too bad, not even the soy protein burgers? (I chop them to make bolognese sauce for pasta)

Yeah, it's gas city for me.  :-[

George

Hector

Quote from: George on September 18, 2007, 05:48:46 AM
Hey now, I could've given WAY more info.  >:D

At the moment Sounds67 and his dopey mates on another thread.

I think they will stick in my teeth. ;D

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on September 18, 2007, 05:37:44 AM
One hell of a satisfying pizza....Tomatoes and a fresh egg.

Allan

Love those yellow tomatoes.