What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saul

Quote from: SonicMan on September 17, 2007, 05:00:02 PM
Saul - I won't quote your entire meal, but real looks interesting & tasty - my wife was brought up Jewish, and would LOVE this experience - her father adored 'tongue' sandwiches' - kind of like a 'lean' corned beef when I've tasted them - thanks for the listing - BTW, everytime we travel to a city w/ excellent Jewish Delis, I HAVE to take her in for a lunch or dinner - just 'one of those things' for her!  :D

Yes, traditional Jewish cooking goes back thousands of years. For anyone that was brought up Jewish it would be a rewarding experience to eat these famous Jewish delicacies.

Happy New Year!

Saul

Today's lunch:

Grilled Salmon with Vegetable Kugel and Tomatoe soup with noodles.
It was so good.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: uffeviking on September 17, 2007, 08:14:52 PM
One of the biggest obstacles to making easy and successful gnocchi is the wrong choice of potatoes. Most of the commonly available varieties are too watery. Stay away from the ones grown in Idaho! I only use Yukon Golds, a slightly yellow variety with lots of potato starch. It's the starch holding the dough together, requiring less flour. The same holds true if you attempt to make German Kartoffelknodel.  :)

Liserl :-*, that's what Mutti always tell us about successful french fries :D.

Tonight I cooked a nice pasta dish:  spicy italian sausage with romanesco cauliflower(*) on rigatonis, topped with freshly grated Asiago cheese. Plus tomato chunks, garlic and fresh basil of course!

(*)
QuoteFood for mathematicians! This Romanesco cauliflower displays a fractal attitude, and also clearly shows spirals starting from the center, following the Fibonacci series to pack its cones as tight as possible.

uffeviking

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 19, 2007, 06:47:28 PM
Liserl :-*, that's what Mutti always tell us about successful french fries :D.

Tonight I cooked a nice pasta dish:  spicy italian sausage with romanesco cauliflower(*) on rigatonis, topped with freshly grated Asiago cheese. Plus tomato chunks, garlic and fresh basil of course!

(*)

André, always believe what Mutti tells you, she always knows what she is talking about, even if she steered you past the Lorelei a year or so ago!

I love that cauliflower, always steam it to keep the symmetry in tact, gives me something to do while eating, studying the artistic arrangement!  ;D

Lethevich

More anti-connoisseur fare from me :P

Sicilian sausages (with herbs, tomato and a small amount of mozerella inside) with lettuce in... pita breads. I could just claim that this student food, but I'm not a student...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kullervo

Quote from: Lethe on September 20, 2007, 08:55:05 AM
More anti-connoisseur fare from me :P

Sicilian sausages (with herbs, tomato and a small amount of mozerella inside) with lettuce in... pita breads. I could just claim that this student food, but I'm not a student...

Just "poor food," then? It doesn't have the semi-glamorous sheen that "student" does, but it's true. My best instance of "poor food" is probably corn and eggs covered in tomato sauce. :)

Saul

Dinner

Stuffed Cabbage, roasted chicken with potatoes and Rice.

Lunch

Corn flakes cereal with milk.

uffeviking

Quote from: Saul on September 20, 2007, 05:05:41 PM
Dinner

Stuffed Cabbage, roasted chicken with potatoes and Rice.

A bit heavy on the protein: two meat dishes - and the carbohydrates: potatoes and rice?  :o

George

Quote from: uffeviking on September 20, 2007, 08:03:36 PM
A bit heavy on the protein: two meat dishes - and the carbohydrates: potatoes and rice?  :o

Isn't cabbage a veggie?

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: George on September 18, 2007, 05:42:04 AM
I have trouble digesting those processed soy thingees. It's a shame, 'cause there's a plethera of it available for us Veggies.  :-[

George,
Please do try taking plant enzymes (like Beano)with your first bite of soy,it's really helped me a lot.

George

Quote from: Muriel on September 23, 2007, 06:02:52 PM
George,
Please do try taking plant enzymes (like Beano)with your first bite of soy,it's really helped me a lot.

Yeah, I take them at each meal. However, the more processed food gets, the harder it is for me to digest it.

Nice to see you, Muriel.  :)

Solitary Wanderer

I'm allergic to Soy  :( Its too bad 'cause I like it alot.

The only benefit from not eating soy that I have alot less intestinal gas  :P
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

uffeviking

Quote from: George on September 21, 2007, 06:08:18 AM
Isn't cabbage a veggie?

The cabbage is, yes, but the stuffing is usually ground beef or other kind of ground meat.  :)

toledobass

My sausage making equipment came last week and last night I spent some time on my first batch of cased sausage.  I used some locally raised turkey and some dried tart cherries for the sausage.  Getting the casing over the horn of the stuffer is the thing that is most tedious about making the sausage.  Here's a pic of the casing after being soaked and rinsed.....reminds me of Dave's avatar :o ;D

Any way it turned out tasting really nice.  I sauteed few and had some with wilted spinach and arugula and some nice crusty bread.  The 5 lbs I made isn't going to last long!!!!

Allan

Lilas Pastia

Last night a skunk ravaged my front lawn. Those little devils dig to find those big bug larvae we call white worms (cockchafer)...

Your sausage case made me think of it, but I'm sure it's delicious ;D.

BachQ

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 24, 2007, 06:48:34 PM
Last night a skunk ravaged my front lawn. Those little devils dig to find those big bug larvae we call white worms (cockchafer)...

Your sausage case made me think of it, but I'm sure it's delicious ;D.

So which do you eat ....... the skunk, or the white worm larvae?

Saul

Dinner

Some Chinese take out.

Chicken Lo Mein.

Lunch

Tuna Avocado Plate.

Kullervo

SonicMan46

Just returned from a long weekend at Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington, NC - a long barrier island on the Carolina Coast w/ some excellent restaurants offering 'fresh' seafood - stay at the Holiday Inn (shown below) w/ an oceanfront room - not fancy but has all of the amenities, including 'wireless' in the room; unfortunately, my 'travelling' IBM laptop took a 'hard drive failure' a few weeks ago, so need a replacement!

Restaurants sampled (CLICK on the names w/ links):

Jerry's - little bistro w/ a great wine list - shared a wonderful lumped crab starter - we both had the night specials, salmon for me & soft shell crabs for my wife - salmon came on a wonderful risotto w/ some fresh asparagus; couple of glasses on Pinot Noir for me - yummy  :)

Oceanic Restaurant (bottom) - popular place but not one of our favorites - gave it a try after 4 years or so; shared a cooked oyster starter which was excellent - I had the fresh mahi-mahi just grilled w/ a lemon butter sauce - wonderful!  Couple of glasses of an Oregon white wine called Evolution - similar to Conundrum by Caymus in concept.

Portland Grille - just stuck to the left side of the menu w/o a main course (we do this often); oysters on half shell for a start; some wonderful breads - then shared a steamed mussels bowl w/ a superb sauce (almost a soup & great w/ the bread); tuna tartare & lumped crabmeat - check HERE for a full description of these tasty dishes - couple of glasses of a Sauvignon Blanc w/ a wonderful Muscat dessert wine from Paso Robles in California.  :P   BTW - believe this was our favorite meal!

The Holiday Inn has a wonderful excercise room w/ a big glass window overlooking the pool & ocean - did a couple of mornings followed by lunch - first day a wonderful salad w/ a fresh piece of tuna grilled rare; second day I just had the seared tuna w/ a nice seaweed salad - wish I had a pic of that tuna - delicious!  :)

orbital