Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: Saul on September 25, 2007, 06:24:08 AM
Thanks for telling us,
I mean I am not reading the paper while eating  :P

Saul

Lethevich

Significant other made us some gougères, possibly the only pastry product that I enjoy... They had melted camembert inside, with very tiny mushroom and ham pieces.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lady Chatterley

Tonight,calves liver and bacon with onion gravy,mashed Yukon Golds,green beans and cucumber salad.

Lilas Pastia

Apples.

Today our work group had a social outing, and the destination was the local apple orchards. There are hundreds of them circling the greater Montreal area, and probably hundreds of thousands of apple trees. The bulk of the production is for juice and cider, and only a small portion is sold  in the markets. What's nice is that most of them also double up as farms open to the public, where you can go and pick your own fruits, and buy home-made apple by-products. I came back with 10 pounds of McIntosh, a maple and apple pie, apple caramel spread, a cask of oak-aged hard cider, a bottle of maple and apple syrup (for pancakes - out of this world!) and a bottle of their superb ice cider.

From their web site:

Saul

Grilled Salmon with Avocado salad.

Lady Chatterley

Baked apples and squash make a delicious side dish,slice apples ,don't peel them,slice acorn squash,peel it. Layer in a baking pan,top with melted butter and maple syrup,bake in oven for about 25 min.

Lethevich

Some real classy eating at the moment ("steak" flavoured McCoys crisps).

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Lethe on September 25, 2007, 03:27:26 PM

Seasoned with Marmite no doubt.

Lethevich

Quote from: Muriel on September 25, 2007, 03:30:23 PM
Seasoned with Marmite no doubt.

I wish. :( I left my Marmite pot on a window sill for several months (during a period of experimenting with cereals instead of toast, I repented eventually :P) before realising that the sun may do something bad to it, at a chemical level, considering it's recommended to be stored in a cool dry place... It smells sort of noxious, so I'd better buy a new one. :D

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Lethe on September 25, 2007, 03:35:39 PM
I wish. :( I left my Marmite pot on a window sill for several months (during a period of experimenting with cereals instead of toast, I repented eventually :P) before realising that the sun may do something bad to it, at a chemical level, considering it's recommended to be stored in a cool dry place... It smells sort of noxious, so I'd better buy a new one. :D

"When in doubt,throw it out"

Lethevich

Quote from: Muriel on September 25, 2007, 03:43:49 PM
"When in doubt,throw it out"

I wish I remembered that at the time. I actually tried to research whether the heated yeast was going to multiply and make my stomach explode or something, but gave up after a while. I am so cheap...

George

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on September 25, 2007, 05:17:22 PM
Popcorn.

George - my wonderful 'seafood' dishes got BURIED a page or so ago - but I did have some POPCORN tonight watching a movie!  ;D

Solitary Wanderer

I only had four pieces. Its so delicious I could easily gorge myself, but I feel sick if I have more than six pieces. Its diary-free too!  ;D
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Lethe on September 25, 2007, 03:27:26 PM

When I lived in England [mid-80s] they used to have some weird and wonderful flavoured 'crisps'.

I remember my faves were 'sausage & tomato' and 'prawn cocktail'.

Gag... just imagine the chemicals they dust those crisps with to achieve those 'flavours'!  :o
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on September 25, 2007, 05:42:04 PM

I only had four pieces. Its so delicious I could easily gorge myself, but I feel sick if I have more than six pieces. Its diary-free too!  ;D

If that picture represents one piece, I can understand your plight.  ;D

Lethevich

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on September 25, 2007, 05:44:52 PM
When I lived in England [mid-80s] they used to have some weird and wonderful flavoured 'crisps'.

I remember my faves were 'sausage & tomato' and 'prawn cocktail'.

Gag... just imagine the chemicals they dust those crisps with to achieve those 'flavours'!  :o

Indeedie. While I like some crisp flavours, they have absolutely no relation in taste to what they claim to be copying. Cheese is a notorious example, crisp cheese flavour tastes almost radioactive...

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Lethe on September 25, 2007, 05:51:18 PM
Indeedie. While I like some crisp flavours, they have absolutely no relation in taste to what they claim to be copying. Cheese is a notorious example, crisp cheese flavour tastes almost radioactive...

And here they are!