What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Last night, dinner at Brick Lane Curry House, where I first ate with someone on this board  :D.  It has become one of my favorite Indian restaurants. 

The restaurant is known for its Phaal, "an excruciatingly hot curry, more pain and sweat than flavor," which I have not yet tried.  Don't look for any reports soon.  ;D

--Bruce

uffeviking

My first attempt at fixing this one. My Salzburger girlfriend made the best Reisfleisch ever; she credited her convection oven for the success. I don't have one. Are they even available here in this country?

orbital

these in a pita with salad.

Although falafel is traditionally made out of chickpeas there is an other version that is made from lima beans which I actually prefer, but they are hard to come by  ::)

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: orbital on October 08, 2007, 11:07:08 AM
Although falafel is traditionally made out of chickpeas there is an other version that is made from lima beans which I actually prefer, but they are hard to come by  ::)

Not if you make them yourself.

SonicMan46

Quote from: bhodges on October 08, 2007, 09:51:45 AM
............The restaurant is known for its Phaal, "an excruciatingly hot curry, more pain and sweat than flavor," which I have not yet tried.  Don't look for any reports soon.  ;D

Bruce - I've really 'cut down' on those hot dishes - there may be pain goin' in, but the next morning the pain is even worst @ the other end!  ;D

Kullervo

Quote from: orbital on October 08, 2007, 11:07:08 AM

these in a pita with salad.

Lima bean falafel, I'd never thought of that!

George

Brown Rice

Black Organic Kalama Olives

8)

toledobass

Quote from: uffeviking on October 08, 2007, 10:38:05 AM
My first attempt at fixing this one. My Salzburger girlfriend made the best Reisfleisch ever; she credited her convection oven for the success. I don't have one. Are they even available here in this country?

Of course they're available.  What makes you think they wouldn't be?

Allan

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan on October 08, 2007, 03:23:06 PM
Bruce - I've really 'cut down' on those hot dishes - there may be pain goin' in, but the next morning the pain is even worst @ the other end!  ;D

;D

True. I used to love hot[spicy] food but try to avoid it these days. A little bit of heat is okay but its not worth the stress on your body to have too much.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Kullervo

Birthday dinner: Salmon with a caper and butter sauce, fettucini in a bechamel sauce, and a cherry cheesecake to finish — compliments of my mother. :)

toledobass

Quote from: Corey on October 08, 2007, 04:41:50 PM
Birthday dinner: Salmon with a caper and butter sauce, fettucini in a bechamel sauce, and a cherry cheesecake to finish — compliments of my mother. :)

Just wondering one thing......do you like dairy?   ;D :D ;)

Allan

George

Quote from: Corey on October 08, 2007, 04:41:50 PM

Wow, a birthday, a dinner and compliments?  ;D

Happy birthday, Libra!  :)

Kullervo

Quote from: toledobass on October 08, 2007, 04:46:39 PM
Just wondering one thing......do you like dairy?   ;D :D ;)

Allan

Yes! Actually the food was my mother's doing. If I had cooked it would have been a bit more... balanced. It was still pretty good.

toledobass

Quote from: Corey on October 08, 2007, 04:53:08 PM
Yes! Actually the food was my mother's doing. If I had cooked it would have been a bit more... balanced. It was still pretty good.

.....balanced..hehe.   Still sounds great even if it ends up putting you into a food coma.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Allan

Solitary Wanderer

No diary for me. I haven't taken cows milk in 20 years. I missed cheese and butter for a while though. Goat and sheep fetta is nice on occasion.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

uffeviking

Quote from: toledobass on October 08, 2007, 04:32:19 PM
Of course they're available.  What makes you think they wouldn't be?

Allan

Because none of the people I know have one!  And very few people I know knew what I was talking about! ;D

In the mean time I googled and found them, but at close to two thousand bucks I think I can continue cooking with my old regular oven!

Drasko

Lis, that picture you posted says Serbian Reisfleisch or in in other words Djuveč and I can tell you from first hand experience that very few people around here have convection ovens and that thing still somehow manages to be prepared (and has been prepared long before those things were invented), so I'm sure that you'll do just fine with standard one.

SonicMan46

..........credited her convection oven for the success. I don't have one. Are they even available here in this country?

Lis - sure enough, probably a number of brands - we have a KitchenAid electric convection oven - with a built-in microwave on top - same model as shown below (CLICK on the image for more details, if interested) - lots of options!   The combo in our re-modeled kitchen (done about 3-4 yrs ago)!  Dave  :)

Saul

Lunch  - Pizza - topped with mushrooms and tomatoes.

Dinner - Roasted Chicken with rice and tomatoes

uffeviking

Quote from: Drasko on October 08, 2007, 08:13:19 PM
Lis, that picture you posted says Serbian Reisfleisch or in in other words Djuveč

Drasko, Dear Man, you saved my sanity! The picture you posted from wikipedia looks exactly like my concoction and I was disappointed because my friend Evi's dish was DRY and FLUFFY rice without any saucy liquid. You also saved me close to two thousand bucks; I'll keep my thirty years old oven!  :-*