What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Drasko on October 08, 2007, 08:13:19 PM
Lis, that picture you posted says Serbian Reisfleisch or in in other words Djuveč

Possibly a dumb question, but are there key differences between that and ratatouille (other than the second picture showing it served with rice)?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

uffeviking

Quote from: Lethe on October 09, 2007, 06:40:07 AM
Possibly a dumb question, but are there key differences between that and ratatouille (other than the second picture showing it served with rice)?

Had to google for ratatouille to know what you are talking about! Yes, there is a big difference because the Serbian ricefleisch is mainly pork and rice with some chopped onions and tomatoes, a main dish, whereas ratatouille is mainly a vegetable side dish.

Thanks to your question I have learned all about ratatouille I ever wanted to know!  ;D

Drasko

The 'problem' with Balkan cuisine is that you'll get some different variant of the same dish every 50 km. For djuvec, as I know it, main ingredients are (as Lis said) rice and meat with some tomato, onions, garlic, carrots and red pepper, no zucchini or eggplant as in ratatouille.

That dish on the top picture of the wiki article I wouldn't even recognise as djuvec but as Sataras (version without eggs).

orbital

I thought it looked more like a non-seafood Paella  :P

Lethevich

Whatever ingredients it uses, it looks nice :P

Quote from: uffeviking on October 09, 2007, 08:02:14 AM
Had to google for ratatouille to know what you are talking about! Yes, there is a big difference because the Serbian ricefleisch is mainly pork and rice with some chopped onions and tomatoes, a main dish, whereas ratatouille is mainly a vegetable side dish.

Thanks to your question I have learned all about ratatouille I ever wanted to know!  ;D

I wasn't aware that it wasn't widely-known: it  was one of the few meals my mum could cook when I was young :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

uffeviking

Quote from: Drasko on October 09, 2007, 08:34:23 AM
The 'problem' with Balkan cuisine is that you'll get some different variant of the same dish every 50 km. For djuvec, as I know it, main ingredients are (as Lis said) rice and meat with some tomato, onions, garlic, carrots and red pepper, no zucchini or eggplant as in ratatouille.

Ah! But my friend Evi is Austrian and calls her dish Serbian Ricefleish - djuvec - just as our local American restaurant chef lists on his menu "Wiener Schnitzel" but serves it smothered in cream gravy with Sauerkraut on the side! Yuk!  ::)

uffeviking

Quote from: SonicMan on October 08, 2007, 09:28:00 PM
Lis - sure enough, probably a number of brands - we have a KitchenAid electric convection oven - with a built-in microwave on top

Grateful for your leads to electric convection ovens!  :-*

Aside from the expense, I have limited space in my compact kitchen - I can stand in the center and reach practically everything needed to prepare a meal without moving only two or three steps! - My present built-in industrial Thermadore oven takes up exactly the available 23"; for anything bigger I would have to buy a larger house!  ::)

Lilas Pastia

Wife and daughter just back from a shopping spree in Plattsburgh, NY. They really wanted to get stuff from the States now that our dollar is on a par with Uncle Sam's.

I greeted them with Emmental quiche and gratiné stuffed mushrooms. I just happened to have everything on hand :D

George

Whole Spelt Flakes

Organic Soy Milk, Edensoy Original

Flax Seed Oil

8)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: George on October 10, 2007, 08:56:23 AM
The yin to your previous yang post.  8)

I had a microwave turkey dinner for lunch.   ;D

toledobass

On Tuesday I went to Lolita here in Cleveland.  Since late summer, Tuesdays at Lolita have been a special event, as it's the night that they roast a pig outside over charcoal as one of the specials.  They do a different preperation every week and the latest was with braised escarole and some crispy onion rings as well as a little pork jus.  Tasty stuff. 

Allan

George

Whey protein shake with flaxseed oil

Jasmine rice

Mark

locrian

SonicMan46

Just returned from a trip to Philadelphia - medical meeting - stayed at the Ritz Carlton next to City Hall - great location w/i walking distance of some superb restaurants; just going to list some of the dinner places if anyone who might be visiting this historic city wants some recommendations!

We were there for 5 nights and stuck w/ seafood for each dinner, so if that's not your interest, continue on to the next post:

Sansom Street Oyster House - shared a dozen oysters on the half shell (their specialty!), two types from Maine & Cape May, NJ; then a salad & a bunch of appetizers - mussels, smoked trout (made in house), & grilled octopus - a couple of glasses of a nice Pinot Grigio - a great start (we were planning on goin' back, but there were too many other choices!) -  :)

Susannah Fu - shared a mixed tuna/salmon/sushi appetizer (wonderful variety & flavors); Monk fish w/ a fermented black bean sauce (and several greens) - just delicious - can't find a link (but CLICK on the restaurants that I've added a link); couple of glasses of a Sauvignon Blanc - hmmm!

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - shared a dozen 'mixed' oysters from Canada (British Columbia), WA State, & East Coast, USA - I had the grilled Mediterranean Branzini - whole fish - just moist & wonderful flavors w/ some nice asparagus; couple of glasses of Geyser Peak '06 Sauvignon Blanc - we lunched there twice, and shared the dozen oysters each time (several different ones depending on the varities arriving daily); of course, this is a 'chain' restaurant, but like Legal Seafoods, the quality is outstanding!

Striped Bass - shared two different appetizers of 'Spicy raw tuna' & 'Yellowtail' - we both had the striped bass w/ a basil sauce & polenta - this was a special experience - just superb!  Although I've not commented on desserts yet, special mention is made here - fresh sorbets (some of the best I've ever eaten) & a great cheese plate; couple of glasses of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - if I'm back in this city in the near future, this place will definitely be one to re-visit!  :P

Raw - decided on a lighter meal our last night - new sushi place w/ mixed reviews; usual options plus a lot of special rolls - some Sauvignon Blanc from Chile was a nice choice; I thought the sushi was quite good - not the best that I've ever had (New York & San Francisco are my favs in that area in the USA), but a nice ending to our dining experience! 

All in all, Philly was a surprising great eating place - all of these restaurants were just a block or so from the hotel - one could likely spend months exploring the culinary delights of this town - hope to be back soon!  :D

Lilas Pastia

(Seething with jealousy)   Man, Dave, what a dog life, I don't envy you one bit  :P

RebLem

Tonight, I am having leftover homemade chili over penne pasta.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.