What are you eating?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Gruyere and spinach omelette, accompanied by one pint of full fat milk, delivered with a smile and sashay. Oh yeah.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SonicMan46

Took Susan to the Washington Duke Inn in Durham, NC on the Duke Campus for her birthday - pic below of the back next to the golf course - two nights ago we ate at a new restaurant for us, i.e. Nana's of Durham - Susan started w/ the gnocchi appetizer (I had a smoked mackerel salad) - main course for her was the lamb shank & for me a 'B-liner snapper' (had to look that up on Wiki , also called the 'vermillion snapper' and a different species from the usual red snapper) - description of the dishes below.  We were going to dine at the Inn last night but checked out in the afternoon because of the weather prediction for the Triad Area (would have been a horrible drive home today).  Dave :)

NikF

Back from an early morning workout at the gym and I'm now eating three large fried eggs, two slices of farmhouse wholemeal toasted and buttered bread, and one pint of full fat milk.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

This morning I've just returned from a slow, almost casual run of about two and a half miles and felt I could easily devour steak, eggs and chips (French fries) however I settled for three slices of toasted wholemeal bread, topped with peanut butter and sliced bananas, along with the usual pint of milk. I feel full (enough!) and fine and I'm listening to dear old Brahms and all in all it's good stuff.

Sergeant Rock

Last night's dinner, made by Mrs. Rock: Aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower), fish curry, chicken curry, Raita (yogurt, cucumber, onion, cumin), rice, coriander garnish.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 14, 2016, 05:58:50 AM
Last night's dinner, made by Mrs. Rock: Aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower), fish curry, chicken curry, Raita (yohurt, cucumber, onion, cumin), rice, coriander garnish.

Sarge

Brava to Mrs. Rock. All of that looks great - including the raita to punctuate the other dishes - aloo gobi (and with aloo saag) is a particular favourite of mine. Good stuff. I hope you both enjoyed it.

(poco) Sforzando

As it is still very cold in the New York area, and even with my drapes drawn it is chilly near the windows, I decided to make a quick soup that you could call pseudo-Indian. Very quick and very simple: blend together a can of chickpeas and a can of coconut milk in a processor. Meanwhile, cook some garlic and ginger together in butter, add some ground turmeric, coriander, and cumin, and season with S+P. Add flour for a roux and cook a few minutes; then fish out the G+G, add a few cups of chicken stock and the blended mixture, and simmer as much diced boneless/skinless chicken thigh meat as you like. Add a bit of cream at the end and serve very hot over a little plain rice, squeezing lemon as you eat. Exact proportions don't matter, so if you like it less rich, cut back on the coconut and cream. If as sometimes happens there is a little surface oil, blot it up with a paper towel.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

NikF

Some cooked chicken - Toots left a note in the kitchen saying it needs to be eaten tonight. So I stood there all chiaroscuro and stuff in the light cast by the fridge and ate it directly from the container. Shameful. But then again -

"The man who requires a plate and cutlery is further from enlightenment and happiness than the man who needs only the frying pan and his face." - Marcus Aurelius. (I think.)

NikF

Just returned from a morning run and I'm having two bananas and peanut butter on whole-wheat crispbreads, along with one pint of full fat milk, accompanied by Glazunov.

Spineur

A classic: boudin aux ognions et pommes et pommes de terre.
I love these sweet and salty combinations

Sergeant Rock

Last night, noodles and salmon in a red pepper sauce. We drank a Pinot Noir Rosé Sekt (German Champagne).

Sarge

jlaurson

It's Ramson Time!

Some self-made ramson linguine... also self-made gnocchi with ramson pesto... fresh (!) white sausage (yes, with a bit of ramson)...

bhodges

Today's breakfast: grits with black truffle oil.

The trick to using the oil (which is solely for flavor, not for frying) is to find relatively neutral foods that allow it to shine. Potatoes work well (e.g., truffle fries) and so do white beans. (I'm experimenting with proportions for a white bean dip.) But the grits...I may have found my favorite breakfast.  8)

--Bruce

jlaurson

Quote from: Brewski on May 10, 2016, 07:13:28 AM
Today's breakfast: grits with black truffle oil.

The trick to using the oil (which is solely for flavor, not for frying) is to find relatively neutral foods that allow it to shine. Potatoes work well (e.g., truffle fries) and so do white beans. (I'm experimenting with proportions for a white bean dip.) But the grits...I may have found my favorite breakfast.  8)

--Bruce

I find the most important (and most difficult) thing about truffle oil is finding stuff that's either not chemically 'enhanced' or simply oil that sat on rotten truffles (as is usually the case). There was a phase, a few years back, to use truffle oil in nearly everything in restaurants that thought themselves fancy but weren't... and it was obnoxious to the highest degree. But if the source is good and used in moderation, it can be a lovely thing indeed, replacing the real thing in a small way.

NikF

I had a day pass at the gym and after my workout stopped into a cafe on the way back. I ate a steak, fried egg, chips (French fries) and a tomato salad, two slices of buttered white (???) bread, along with the usual one pint of milk - all of which is humble as hell, much like myself. Now I'm home and about to listen to some Elgar.

Sergeant Rock

After fending for myself for five days, Mrs. Rock is back from a seminar and cooked a great meal: prawns and cod with a saffron sauce, basmati rice and ratatouille. We drank a local wine: a Gold Prize winning dry Riesling Spätlese from the Westhofen winery Hohenfelser Hof. Left click to enlarge image.

Sarge

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 02, 2016, 02:37:18 PM
After fending for myself for five days, Mrs. Rock is back from a seminar and cooked a great meal: prawns and cod with a saffron sauce, basmati rice and ratatouille. We drank a local wine: a Gold Prize winning dry Riesling Spätlese from the Westhofen winery Hohenfelser Hof. Left click to enlarge image.

Sarge

Love those plates Sarge....looks terrific! 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 02, 2016, 02:37:18 PM

Sarge

Looks great!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: NikF on July 03, 2016, 01:36:38 PM
Looks great!

It was...and great to have Mrs. Rock back home, and not just for her cooking  8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on July 03, 2016, 04:42:51 AM
Love those plates Sarge....looks terrific!

A gift from her parents.

Sarge