Vivaldi: cantatas, motets, and other sacred works

Started by Bogey, May 13, 2007, 08:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I have that recording too 71 dB (it was my first digital download purchase ever!).  It is great.

71 dB

Quote from: DavidW on February 24, 2021, 06:49:02 AM
I have that recording too 71 dB (it was my first digital download purchase ever!).  It is great.

I'm glad you like it. I like it too. It's just that the comparison to J. S. Bach made my expectations go too high...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 23, 2021, 02:46:03 PM
Aligreto,

This is (surprisingly) the only Gloria I have right now:

It is 27:38. I would like to have a supplemental version, and reading through your reviews, the one that seems to appeal most is King (whose work I have always enjoyed). You think I would find it satisfying? Out of curiosity, have you heard The 16?

8)

I have tracked it down and listened to it. I liked it. Thank you for the recommendation.

aligreto

Vivaldi: Gloria RV588

As mentioned above, Vivaldi apparently wrote three settings of the Gloria, RV 588, RV 589 and RV 590 which is now lost. The Gloria RV 589 is one of the brightest jewels in the crown of Vivaldi's Sacred Music. It is a wonderful piece of music. This setting, RV 588, is equally if not even more appealing than RV 589.

The Gloria RV588 was written around the same time as RV 589 for the all female choir and orchestra of the Ospedale della Pietà. It is scored for almost the same forces as RV 589 with an extra oboe and a tenor soloist. The two settings are also in the same key of D major.

The Gloria RV588 comprises 12 movements.

1.  Gloria in excelsis Deo (Chorus)
2.  Et in terra pax (Chorus)
3.  Laudamus te (Sopranos I and II)
4.  Gratias agimus tibi (Chorus)
5.  Propter magnam gloriam (Chorus)
6.  Domine Deus (Soprano)
7.  Domine, Fili unigenite (Chorus)
8.  Domine Deus, Agnus Dei (Contralto and Chorus)
9.  Qui tollis peccata mundi (Chorus)
10. Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris (Mezzo Soprano)
11. Quoniam tu solus sanctus (Chorus)
12. Cum Sancto Spiritu (Chorus)

However, RV 588 is preceded by an introductory motet, Jubilate o amoeni chori [RV 639/639a], for solo contralto (or soprano) and strings, although Vivaldi makes it possible, through optional cuts indicated in the autograph manuscript in Turin, to perform the Gloria alone. What Vivaldi does is he incorporates and weaves the introductory motet into RV 588. Instead of a concluding Alleluia in the introduzione we go straight into the opening of RV 588. Incidentally, the introduzione is a fine work in its own right. The way in which the introduzione is interwoven into the Gloria is quite a masterclass in itself!

It is unclear which setting was composed first.

RV 588 has not been recorded nearly as often as RV 589. I have only three versions of this work in my collection of which two are CDs. These are....

aligreto

Gloria RV588: King

King and his interpretations and presentations of Vivaldi's music needs no introduction here. One knows what to expect and what one will get from him and his forces. This version is no exception. However, if you are new to or unfamiliar with King's Vivaldi, what you can expect is that the orchestral accompaniment will be sensitive but full sounding. The signature Vivaldi rhythms will be conspicuous throughout and the pacing of the music will be lively but tight, and not overly fast. The tone will also be more on the devotional as opposed to the celebratory side. And so it is here.
Stutzmann's voice is robust and ardent and the choir is full sounding with a really very good presence. The quality of the choral singing is a major attraction here. Tonally, the soprano voice of Gritton is also a very suitable match here. The quality and sonority of the tenor voice of Daniels is also well suited to the overall atmosphere of this presentation.
This is a very fine version indeed. I really like it and it would be a strong recommendation for this work.

Gloria RV589: Negri

Negri has a more "older school" approach and presentation in that his presentations tend to sound more robust but certainly not heavy or lethargic. His sound tends to have a bigger presence than that of King which I have always used as a comparison tool between the two in times past.
In this particular instance the approach sounds quite modern yet very full sounding. It has quite a light touch yet it also yields up quite a full presence. The orchestral accompaniment is sensitive but full sounding. The signature Vivaldi rhythms are very conspicuous throughout and the pacing of the music is lively but tight, and not overly fast.
The contralto, Finnie, has a strong and ardent voice. Both the sopranos, Marshall and Lott are fine and sympathetic to the music as is the tenor Rolfe Johnson. The choral singing here is much more full sounding than that of King and it has a big, full sounding presence. There is a keen sense of the dramatic here, but it is not the overriding factor. This is a fine version and it would also be a strong recommendation for this work. It is a quality production.
Not that it makes any real difference, but there is a chamber organ used in the continuo.

aligreto

Gloria RV589: Corboz

The Corboz version, which is on LP, does not contain the introductory motet, Jubilate o amoeni chori [RV 639/639a].

The orchestral forces here sound full but light and they also have a full presence. The choral singing is also very fine and well balanced. This is also a well paced version and it moves along jauntily.
Both of the sopranos, Smith and Bernardin, have strong but light toned voices which are very suitable for this music and they blend well. The same goes for the tenor, Barham.
The overall tone is a nice mix between joyful and celebratory. I like it.

aligreto

If you are not familiar with this work perhaps you might like to introduce yourself to it by hearing the Negri version below....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkT2GGVW7JY

Que

This has both the 588 and the 589,  and is an improvement upon Alessandrini's 1st recording of 589  - which was at neck breaking speed...

aligreto

Quote from: Que on February 28, 2021, 05:31:29 AM
This has both the 588 and the 589,  and is an improvement upon Alessandrini's 1st recording of 589  - which was at neck braking speed...

Thank you. I was aware of that CD but I do not own it. I suppose that I should, really.

aligreto

Incidentally, have you seen this really good film with Alessandrini with Mingardo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEcSThti5hM

Que

Quote from: aligreto on February 28, 2021, 05:44:54 AM
Incidentally, have you seen this really good film with Alessandrini with Mingardo?

Nice.  :)

And these Alessandrini performances fit my tastes perfectly.

Q

aligreto

Quote from: Que on March 01, 2021, 03:35:43 AM

Q

I am pleased that you found it of interest.

aligreto

Two individual CDs that I have not mentioned so far are one each by King and Negri.

I have, of course, mentioned both of these directors on numerous occasions in the course of these discussions. However, I would like to use these two particular CDs [neither of which I have previously individually singled out for their specific content] to indicate the wonderful and contrasting approaches both of the requisite series contribute to the interpretation and presentation of the Sacred Music of Vivaldi.
Both of these series founded and solidified my love for this music and duly inspired me to further explore this very rewarding repertoire. Yes, in time, along came many others into my collection but both King and Negri have always remained the solid foundation for me by which I have measured the others. I still, even after all this time spent listening to them, enjoy and appreciate them immensely.

As I have previously indicated, if one is not familiar with these two series, one could do worse than begin to explore them. They have stood the test of time well, I feel, particularly the series by King.

aligreto

Working towards the conclusion of my contributions to this thread I want to make two final posts of relevant CDs in my collection.

The first is under the direction of the director Francesco Fanna:

This CD contains two somewhat contrasting versions of the Salve Regina, RV 617 and RV 618 [both are equally valid and interesting as a by the way] and this version of the Dixit Dominus RV 595 is very fine indeed. It is a relatively early CD recorded in 1991 and it is a really very fine one in my opinion.

I like Fanna's approach. He has excellent pacing and directs sensitive orchestral accompaniments that are full sounding which are still light of touch and lilt along with the requisite rhythms. The tone tends towards the devotional, not in a ponderous way but in a robust way. This is a good recording and presentation with clear and ardent voices, both solo and choral, throughout which are well balanced with the orchestral ensemble.

aligreto

The final CD [in this genre] in my collection is this one...

It has the advantage of featuring the wonderful voice of Piau coupled with the exciting direction of Dantone, both of which are known to many here.

This is a performance of sacred music the like of which one does not hear too often. The performance levels throughout are superlative from all concerned, vocalists and instrumentalists. The singing from Piau is superlative and the playing from the Accademia Bizantina is exemplary.
The music itself is wonderful in terms of content, textures, tension and drama.
The ensemble, under the direction of Ottavio Dantone, is uncompromising in its approach to the music yet they are very sympathetic to it. Although the presentation can be of a heightened state of tension and drama, the tone is still suitably devotional where required.
I cannot recommend this presentation highly enough. It is a joy and a pleasure to listen to.

The new erato

A superb disc. And one that proves that Vivaldi best music is vocal, and belong with the greatest.

aligreto

Quote from: The new erato on March 07, 2021, 12:28:55 AM
A superb disc. And one that proves that Vivaldi best music is vocal, and belong with the greatest.

Yes indeed, and it is such a pity that it is still a well kept secret.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 07, 2021, 12:28:55 AM
Vivaldi best music is vocal, and belong with the greatest.

Quote from: aligreto on March 08, 2021, 02:30:49 AM
Yes indeed, and it is such a pity that it is still a well kept secret.

Amen!
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Iota

Quote from: aligreto on February 28, 2021, 05:44:54 AM

Lovely, thanks! 

Quote from: Que on March 01, 2021, 03:35:43 AM

Q
+1

aligreto