Vivaldi: cantatas, motets, and other sacred works

Started by Bogey, May 13, 2007, 08:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Regarding the Gloria, there's a massive, romantically coloured, almost Verdi-like one from Muti/EMI, coupled with an equally attractive Magnificat. I wouldn't be without that Vivaldi disc, also owning a good deal of King (good), Corboz, Negri, some Brilliant Classics (mostly rather disappointing), etc.

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 11, 2021, 11:54:17 AM
Regarding the Gloria, there's a massive, romantically coloured, almost Verdi-like one from Muti/EMI, coupled with an equally attractive Magnificat. I wouldn't be without that Vivaldi disc, also owning a good deal of King (good), Corboz, Negri, some Brilliant Classics (mostly rather disappointing), etc.

Is this the one?

I will see if I can get a listen to it on line somewhere.

MusicTurner

Yes, that's the one. The Magnificat as said is also great there.

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 11, 2021, 11:54:17 AM
Regarding the Gloria, there's a massive, romantically coloured, almost Verdi-like one from Muti/EMI, coupled with an equally attractive Magnificat....

Quote from: aligreto on March 12, 2021, 04:48:37 AM

I got to listen to the opening movement of the Gloria on YouTube. It was big and bold and I liked it. I might just track down that recording. Thank you for posting the comment.

MusicTurner

Nice that you liked it.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on March 12, 2021, 07:42:31 AM

I got to listen to the opening movement of the Gloria on YouTube. It was big and bold and I liked it. I might just track down that recording. Thank you for posting the comment.

Fergus,

you can listen to it in full on Idagio's free desktop version (creation of account and password, no bank details needed).

https://app.idagio.com/albums/vivaldi-gloria-and-magnificat-847FAE2E-DE8B-4379-B5A3-5F3FF655EF55
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 12, 2021, 05:32:51 AM
Yes, that's the one. The Magnificat as said is also great there.

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 12, 2021, 08:04:06 AM
Fergus,

you can listen to it in full on Idagio's free desktop version (creation of account and password, no bank details needed).

https://app.idagio.com/albums/vivaldi-gloria-and-magnificat-847FAE2E-DE8B-4379-B5A3-5F3FF655EF55

I think that this Muti version of the Gloria RV589 is a very fine interpretation. It has a great presence, in particular, the choral singing. It is full on. This version may not appeal to everyone but I cannot see why not; it is powerful, devotional and will take but a short time to acclimatise to if you are a Period Instrument kind of person. I think that it would be a very worthwhile addition to any collection and it is definitely a credit to this particular thread.
And yes, the Magnificat is also good.
Thank you both for bringing this to my attention; well done guys!

JBS

Quote from: aligreto on March 14, 2021, 04:02:03 AM

I think that this Muti version of the Gloria RV589 is a very fine interpretation. It has a great presence, in particular, the choral singing. It is full on. This version may not appeal to everyone but I cannot see why not; it is powerful, devotional and will take but a short time to acclimatise to if you are a Period Instrument kind of person. I think that it would be a very worthwhile addition to any collection and it is definitely a credit to this particular thread.
And yes, the Magnificat is also good.
Thank you both for bringing this to my attention; well done guys!

Do you know if it's been remastered? I remember that recording as having bad sonics, as if the microphones had been covered in felt or something: very compressed and muffled.

The copy I had was from EMI's GROC series.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

I remember the LP as more naturally spacious as regards the sound. Out of convenience, I tend to play the CD though.

aligreto

aligreto

I have just finished listening to this Naxos release under Mallon and I find it to be a particularly fine one in many ways. It is well worth investigating:

Laudate pueri Dominum RV 600:
I like Mallon as a conductor and I was not disappointed with him in Vivaldi here. He balances the sense of both the devotional and the dramatic elements of this music very well. He also has a keen sense of pace for this music. The soprano, Bessette, performs admirably as do the orchestral forces. The recording sounds a little lean but a nudge on the volume knob adequately resolves this minor issue.

Stabat Mater RV 621:
As I progress through this CD I am finding Mallon to be quite good in his interpretations of Vivaldi's Sacred music. The presentation of this work is particularly fine from every perspective. Mallon gets both the tone and the pace quite correct for this music. He has quite a good feel for the music. The contralto, Newman, performs more than admirably and she delivers the music very sensitively. Her voice is smooth and well rounded. The orchestral accompaniment is also very sensitive to the vocal element and well balanced. I find this to be a particularly fine presentation of this work. "Eia Mater, Fons Amoris" and "Fac, Ut Ardeat" are particularly fine pieces of musical writing and they are very well presented here.

Canta in prato, ride in monte, RV 623:
This presentation has a wonderfully light touch. The pacing is also excellent. The soprano Bessette produces a very fine delivery. The performance is filled with great charm and poise.

Clarae stellae, scintillate, RV 625:
As in the other presentations on this CD Mallon strikes a wonderful balance between a devotional and a celebratory tone. The atmosphere created by the contralto's singing [Newman] here is wonderful.

KevinP

RV 601. This is one of favourite works of Vivaldi's, but one I think is underappreciated and under-recorded.

The slow movement is particularly noteworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViX5KkTMqSs

aligreto

Quote from: KevinP on August 25, 2022, 02:31:51 PM
RV 601. This is one of favourite works of Vivaldi's, but one I think is underappreciated and under-recorded.

The slow movement is particularly noteworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViX5KkTMqSs

Yes, Laudate pueri is a very fine work and is always worth a listen.
It is a great pity that the poster of the video did not credit the vocalist, the orchestra or the director.

I have four versions of RV601 in my collection:

Piau/Accademia Bizantina/Dantone on Naive
Sampson/King's Consort/King on Hyperion
Marshall/Concertgebouw Chamber Orch./Negri on Philips
Leblanc/Teatro Lirico/Stubbs on Challenge

aligreto

Vivaldi: Gloria [Alessandrini]

Ostro picta, armata spina RV642 

This is delightful music that is well played and sung here. Two lively and animated outer movements bookend a slow movement. The tone of the outer movements are celebratory while the tone in the central movement is more contemplative and devotional. The work is short but it is a joy to listen to.

Gloria RV589

This is not the fastest version of this work that I own but it is not far off it. This aspect of this particular presentation sometimes, but not always, causes me a little conflict. This time my particular mood appreciated the tempo more than it does at other times. Either way, it is always a wonderful performance from all of the forces present here.

Gloria RV 588

This version of the Gloria RV 588 is preceded by the Motet "Jubilate o amoeni chori" which is always good to have. It is performed admirably here.

The tempi here are lively but tight, and on the slightly brisk side in the appropriate places. The inherent, signature driving rhythms in Vivaldi's music are very conspicuous throughout and they are well maintained here by Alessandrini in tightly controlled but free flowing pacing even in the slower tempi movements. The orchestral accompaniment is sensitive but full sounding. The tone is, overall, very much towards the devotional. The recorded sound is both excellent and full.
Mingardo's voice is robust and ardent with a rich sonority. The well balanced choir is full sounding and has a fine presence.

This is a very fine presentation from the orchestral and vocal contributors and there is a great sensitivity in the direction of the music.

aligreto

Vivaldi Sacred Music: Nisi Dominus/Stabat Mater [Spinosi]

Nisi Dominus RV 608 [Spinosi/Jaroussky]
This is, for me, a particularly fine, exciting and often thrilling presentation of this work. The vocal element from Jaroussky is exceptionally expressive and unique for me. It is both, paradoxically,
understated and powerful. The orchestral element is very well delivered and very sensitive, crisp and clean here under the very capable direction of Spinosi. Everything is very well delivered here.

Credo in G major, RV 592- Crucifixus etiam pro nobis [Spinosi]
This wonderful piece of music lasts less than three minutes but it certainly packs a punch in terms of music quality, vocal and instrumental presentation and emotional impact.

Stabat Mater RV 621 [Spinosi/Lemieux]
This presentation lasts for just under nineteen minutes and is therefore in the medium paced category for this work. It is suitably low key yet very atmospheric in tone. Lemieux's voice is both warm and full and also packs a powerful punch in this music; her voice is quite understatedly robust yet delivers the music very sensitively. The orchestral accompaniment is also very sensitive, yet lively, to the vocal element. The overall tone is solemn, but not oppressively so. This is a very strong performance under the very capable baton of Spinosi who is, I find in my limited exposure to him, very strong in Vivaldi.