Maurice Durufle (1902-1986)

Started by vandermolen, August 25, 2008, 12:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2016, 01:35:32 AM
This is a wonderful new recording of Durufle's moving 'Requiem' from 1947. It is now my favourite recording, and I have many of this work. Michel Legrand's and the composer's own version are my previous favourites. I also prefer this version for a small orchestra, organ, choir and mezzo-soprano. The coupling is wonderful too - the Mass 'Cum Jubilo' - my second favourite work of Durufle's along with the Prelude and Fugue in memory of Jean Alain.

Image won't appear - here is link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durufle-Requiem-Messe-Jubilo-Motets/dp/B01HSFG6E8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481539018&sr=1-1&keywords=durufle+requiem
Don't forget the other coupling - the Four Motets.
I recently bought the recording too, and I like it very much, but I am not familiar with other recordings of the work.
[asin]B01HSFG6E8[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on December 12, 2016, 01:52:57 AM
Don't forget the other coupling - the Four Motets.
I recently bought the recording too, and I like it very much, but I am not familiar with other recordings of the work.
[asin]B01HSFG6E8[/asin]
Thank you! How come you got the photo to show from Amazon and I couldn't using the same code?  ::)
Yes, the Four Motets are very fine too.
I don't think you need any other recording as this one is so good in terms of both performance and recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on December 12, 2016, 01:35:32 AM
This is a wonderful new recording of Durufle's moving 'Requiem' from 1947. It is now my favourite recording, and I have many of this work. Michel Legrand's and the composer's own version are my previous favourites. I also prefer this version for a small orchestra, organ, choir and mezzo-soprano. The coupling is wonderful too - the Mass 'Cum Jubilo' - my second favourite work of Durufle's along with the Prelude and Fugue in memory of Jean Alain.

Image won't appear - here is link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durufle-Requiem-Messe-Jubilo-Motets/dp/B01HSFG6E8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481539018&sr=1-1&keywords=durufle+requiem
Sadly the conductor Sir Stephen Cleobury died a few days ago. This CD is a fine tribute to his talent:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Awful news, very sorry to hear of his passing. Rest in peace.

As for Duruflé, I have been discovering his music lately through the Eric Lebrun/Michel Piquemal Naxos series. I have not heard the one with the Requiem, but his Messe Cum Jubilo is very good, as is his organ music. A very interesting composer. A mix of Catholic liturgical music and high impressionism.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 02, 2019, 02:29:32 AM
Awful news, very sorry to hear of his passing. Rest in peace.

As for Duruflé, I have been discovering his music lately through the Eric Lebrun/Michel Piquemal Naxos series. I have not heard the one with the Requiem, but his Messe Cum Jubilo is very good, as is his organ music. A very interesting composer. A mix of Catholic liturgical music and high impressionism.

Yes, the CD above links the Requiem with the Messe Cum Jubilo - a fine combination. Durufle did not write much but, as with Finzi I think, everything is of a very high quality.

The Prélude et Fugue sur le Nom Alain is the other work I like very much (for organ).

Here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Or147RQSBOM