If there is a Marc-Andre Hamelin CD to recommend.

Started by MISHUGINA, August 25, 2008, 05:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

The following comment below a you tube vid of Hamelin playing one of his mind-bendingly difficult etudes made me laugh -

"Honestly, Hamelin's etudes really aren't all that difficult if you just close the score and sob quietly at the piano."

:laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on July 30, 2021, 03:42:09 AM
The following comment below a you tube vid of Hamelin playing one of his mind-bendingly difficult etudes made me laugh -

"Honestly, Hamelin's etudes really aren't all that difficult if you just close the score and sob quietly at the piano."

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: Iota on July 30, 2021, 03:42:09 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the spotlight -- this is excellent, and hilarious.  ;D

--Bruce

bhodges

PS, though not a commercial recording, here's a live performance from 2010 (just uploaded last September) of Hamelin's own 12 Études in All the Minor Keys (1986/2009). Recorded 23 August 2010, at the Raritäten der Klaviermusik, Husum, Germany.

I listened yesterday, and it's a magnificent 45 minutes or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSOrgFGBsk

--Bruce

staxomega

What do people think of him playing Schumann's Fantasie? I think he nailed the fantasy aspect and it sounds so effortless (I think a little struggle in playing the work can add some charm). My gut feeling is this is one that would do very well in a blind test.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on November 26, 2023, 09:07:32 AMTangentially, I just enjoyed this:

Thanks for sharing this!  Even though I can't read music, I found it to be interesting; it's also given me ideas for other piano works which I want to explore.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

I just watched too! Loved the advocacy for Alkan and the sheer professionalism of his mindset. (Those were interesting comments about memorizing "Concord" as a young student but now no longer believing in memorization of complex scores.)

Atriod

That channel has lots of good stuff. My favorite video is a piano professor analyzing the playing of several 20th century pianists going back to Hofmann.

Pohjolas Daughter

Just enjoyed watching this one.  Norman Krieger (Chair of the Piano Department at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music) did a fascinating one comparing the piano techniques of 16 of the greatest pianists of all time.

PD

p.s.  Sorry, I'll go back on topic now.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Atriod on November 27, 2023, 04:33:07 PMThat channel has lots of good stuff. My favorite video is a piano professor analyzing the playing of several 20th century pianists going back to Hofmann.
Ah, I had missed your posting!  I suspect that the one that I had embedded here is the same one to which you were referring.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter