Hartmann, complete symphonies, which box to buy?

Started by Harry, May 14, 2007, 05:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I have these two options, and would like to know the opinion of the members which one to order.
As yet I am open for both!
But alas only one set I will buy.
Which of the two?

Todd

Of the two available sets, I only have the Metzmacher, and I've never felt compelled to buy the Wergo.  (Perhaps I should though.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

not edward

I've got the Wergo, and have heard Metzmacher in 1, 2, 5 and the Gesangsszene. I'd say the Wergo is better in all three symphonies--despite its somewhat dated sound--though I prefer Mezmacher's Gesangsszene.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Harry

Quote from: edward on May 14, 2007, 05:26:25 AM
I've got the Wergo, and have heard Metzmacher in 1, 2, 5 and the Gesangsszene. I'd say the Wergo is better in all three symphonies--despite its somewhat dated sound--though I prefer Mezmacher's Gesangsszene.

And how dated would that be Edward?

not edward

Quote from: Harry on May 14, 2007, 05:31:01 AM
And how dated would that be Edward?
Most of the recordings on the Wergo set are 1960s-era and sound it (some are live). The sound is perfectly acceptable, but not state-of-the-art.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Cato

I also have the Wergo, and am very happy with it. But the Metzmacher versions I have heard are quite fine too, and of course the sound is better.

I used to fire up the Gesangsszene and the First Symphony for my German students (they translated the texts beforehand, and no, I never told them that they were translating Walt Whitman from German back into English until after we were finished   8)  ).

They were always suitably impressed, and I know that some went out and bought the Metzmacher!

See?  That's why I AM an optimist!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Harry

Well after much deliberating I go for the Metzmacher, because for both recordings there is a consensus, and the odds are divided equally.
Thanks all!
Harry