What are you drinking?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Quote from: E d o on April 15, 2007, 08:35:12 AM
Last night: Dogfish Head India Pale Ale
This morning: Home roasted Cona brewed in a Vac Pot
Tonight: A Spanish Almansa (Red)
dogfish head nice but the question is are you worthy of a STONE ARROGANT BASTARD ALE?? ;D

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on April 14, 2007, 04:19:02 PM
Picked up some Victory Storm King for tonight.  Looking forward to it. I've read some great stuff about it but never found it till now.

Love that brew!  And their Hop Devil IPA is absolutely delicious, too. 

--Bruce

E d o

I rate Stone IPA slightly higher than Dogfish. Problem is it's harder to find on the E. coast and often not as fresh. Sure wish they put the packaging date on the bottles. I haven't had an Arrogant Bastard in quite a while and can't recall my opinion. It seems Imperial IPA has really taken off as an official beer style in the U.S. My head insists on reminding me the next day that I should drink less Imperial IPA than the standard version. I was in Ashland Oregon recently where I had a really lovely IIPA at the Standing Stone Brewpub (not related to Stone in San Diego).

bhodges

Quote from: E d o on April 16, 2007, 08:24:30 AM
Sure wish they put the packaging date on the bottles.

Isn't that the truth!  Some brews do, but I wish all of them did.  Great avatar, by the way -- Maria Falconetti as Jeanne d'Arc, yes? 

--Bruce

JoshLilly

"Last night: Dogfish Head India Pale Ale"

Which one? The 90-minute is one of my top 3 beers of all time. I like it more than their more expensive 120-minute, and definitely more than the 60-minute. But let's be honest, none of these are true IPAs, too much malt. "American-style IPA", maybe, which I think is better than true British India Pale. They do have another beer that I like, despite being an oddity: Raison d'être. Quite good, and not overly flavoured. Probably the only flavoured beer I like, normally I'm not into that sort of stuff.

Stone's a great brewery, Arrogant Bastard is worth trying. I got it because of the label, I couldn't resist. It's pretty darn good. Tons of hops, offset by tons of malt. Just more of everything. Double Bastard was a bit much, though, bordering on a hoppy barley wine or something. I thought the taste suffered. They have a porter that's not bad, either; it's not Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (which is really more like a dark, dark porter), but it's good.

I did a tasting once that featured Victory's Storm King. I think it was my favourite of the lot that day. I don't think I put it on my "To Buy Again" list, though. But keep in mind, I've never had more than 1 and a half beers within a 24 hour period before (or the equivalent of other alcohol). I hate the sensation of being buzzed (which happened once off a big glass of Grand Marnier), and can't comprehend what drunk must be like. So my list is by necessity pretty small. Storm King was pretty good though, I remember.

I just finished the last of my Samuel Adams Döppelbock. Those with a Germanic tastemay hate it: "Hey, where's the hops?!". I treat it like drinking dessert. Prepare for malt assault. Maybe it's overkill, but boy, is it tasty. But if you try to drink 2 in a row, you'd probably be sick from the sweetness.

Mild rant time: people and their European imports. I don't think European beers dominate pure US beers any more. Fine, maybe this is a very recent development, but get with the times folks! There's even one major mainstream Reinheitsgebot brewery (Samuel Adams is, isn't it?), and some of their stuff is damn fine. You've got places like those being mentioned here: Dogfish Head, Stone, Three Floyds. Some of this is just great. My problem is, someone will rave about something, "Oh, it's an import", stick their nose up. Well if they like it, great, but it's always some pilsner and it's wrecked. Let's be honest here, Heinecken, which is super popular in the USA, does not survive fresh. It's skunked every time or, awfully, shipped in a METAL CAN. No, no, no. I realise now I'm sounding like a snob, but it just tastes like crap. I hear it's fantastic in Nederland. Awesome. If I'm ever there, I'll probably try it. But guess what? The USA ain't Nederland. And the yeast balance they use is so delicate that it can't last the journey across the ocean. Pilsners do not last. My uncle says Pilsner Urquel is the best pilsner he ever had.. but he comes back to the USA and says they're all bad. No kidding. But people here still buy it and go crazy over how great it is, when it's ruined. Then again, give me a skunked clean beer over something like Budweiser any day, so I suppose I know where they're coming from. I only wish they'd realise that there are US breweries now competing on equal footing with their older European rivals. If you think they're not even now, then you're behind the times. Maybe only 15 years behind, but still you're out of date.

New Rules: Dark Bottles only. Especially for lighter stuff. Period.
Refridgerate every single second until it reaches the customer's hand. Again, especially for lighter stuff. I was disappointed to discover even Merchant du Vin (sp.) doesn't do this.

E d o

Bruce,
Good call it is Maria Falconetti from Jeanne d'Arc. What a great film. Way ahead of it's time.

Josh,
I mostly drink the 60 and sometimes the 90 min IPA. The 120 is just a bit too strong for me. The interesting thing about American IPA is that it's closer to what the British shipped to the troops in India way back when the style came to be. The higher alcohol and hop bitterness acted as a preservative, protecting the beer on it's long clipper ship voyage to India. For a long time IPA in England was barely distinguishable from bitter or pale ale. American micro's are having some influence these days but in England tax is paid on alcohol content so there is incentive to keep it low.

JoshLilly

What I've been calling "American IPA" seems less hoppy to me than the British IPAs I've had. I didn't realise that in England the tax was based on the alcohol level, though. I'm guessing that what I was tasting in the American IPA was offset by increased malt and alcohol, masking the hops to some extent. I've become more interested lately in how increased malt or hops, either one, can offset the high amounts of the other. So, if you increase the hops a lot, it will get really hoppy and bitter, but if you increase the malt along with it, oftentimes it won't even taste more bitter when you drink it. Hey, more is better! The awful US cheap breweries that make the pseudo-beer are out to sell you the cheapest, closest thing to water that they can and con you into liking it (ie. the whole "ice cold to numb the taste buds is good" thing). Breweries that buck this trend with the real deal can experiment with more and more all they want. And maybe they overstep now and then, such as DH's 120-minute. But the good that comes out of experimenting is worth it.

Robert

Quote from: bhodges on April 16, 2007, 08:23:24 AM
Love that brew!  And their Hop Devil IPA is absolutely delicious, too. 

--Bruce
Bruce,
You Devil, I never knew you were into craft beers......You have Brooklyn brewing there. Have you tried their chocolate stout?

Robert

Quote from: E d o on April 16, 2007, 08:24:30 AM
I rate Stone IPA slightly higher than Dogfish. Problem is it's harder to find on the E. coast and often not as fresh. Sure wish they put the packaging date on the bottles. I haven't had an Arrogant Bastard in quite a while and can't recall my opinion. It seems Imperial IPA has really taken off as an official beer style in the U.S. My head insists on reminding me the next day that I should drink less Imperial IPA than the standard version. I was in Ashland Oregon recently where I had a really lovely IIPA at the Standing Stone Brewpub (not related to Stone in San Diego).
You should have visited Rouge brewery in Oregon.....Arrogant is pretty aggressive beer. Im sure if you had one you would remember. Its pretty unique.  about 7.5%

Robert

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 16, 2007, 08:41:09 AM
"Last night: Dogfish Head India Pale Ale"

Which one? The 90-minute is one of my top 3 beers of all time. I like it more than their more expensive 120-minute, and definitely more than the 60-minute. But let's be honest, none of these are true IPAs, too much malt. "American-style IPA", maybe, which I think is better than true British India Pale. They do have another beer that I like, despite being an oddity: Raison d'être. Quite good, and not overly flavoured. Probably the only flavoured beer I like, normally I'm not into that sort of stuff.

I am not a big fan of Sam Adams....Stone's a great brewery, Arrogant Bastard is worth trying. I got it because of the label, I couldn't resist. It's pretty darn good. Tons of hops, offset by tons of malt. Just more of everything. Double Bastard was a bit much, though, bordering on a hoppy barley wine or something. I thought the taste suffered. They have a porter that's not bad, either; it's not Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (which is really more like a dark, dark porter), but it's good.

I did a tasting once that featured Victory's Storm King. I think it was my favourite of the lot that day. I don't think I put it on my "To Buy Again" list, though. But keep in mind, I've never had more than 1 and a half beers within a 24 hour period before (or the equivalent of other alcohol). I hate the sensation of being buzzed (which happened once off a big glass of Grand Marnier), and can't comprehend what drunk must be like. So my list is by necessity pretty small. Storm King was pretty good though, I remember.

I just finished the last of my Samuel Adams Döppelbock. Those with a Germanic tastemay hate it: "Hey, where's the hops?!". I treat it like drinking dessert. Prepare for malt assault. Maybe it's overkill, but boy, is it tasty. But if you try to drink 2 in a row, you'd probably be sick from the sweetness.

Mild rant time: people and their European imports. I don't think European beers dominate pure US beers any more. Fine, maybe this is a very recent development, but get with the times folks! There's even one major mainstream Reinheitsgebot brewery (Samuel Adams is, isn't it?), and some of their stuff is damn fine. You've got places like those being mentioned here: Dogfish Head, Stone, Three Floyds. Some of this is just great. My problem is, someone will rave about something, "Oh, it's an import", stick their nose up. Well if they like it, great, but it's always some pilsner and it's wrecked. Let's be honest here, Heinecken, which is super popular in the USA, does not survive fresh. It's skunked every time or, awfully, shipped in a METAL CAN. No, no, no. I realise now I'm sounding like a snob, but it just tastes like crap. I hear it's fantastic in Nederland. Awesome. If I'm ever there, I'll probably try it. But guess what? The USA ain't Nederland. And the yeast balance they use is so delicate that it can't last the journey across the ocean. Pilsners do not last. My uncle says Pilsner Urquel is the best pilsner he ever had.. but he comes back to the USA and says they're all bad. No kidding. But people here still buy it and go crazy over how great it is, when it's ruined. Then again, give me a skunked clean beer over something like Budweiser any day, so I suppose I know where they're coming from. I only wish they'd realise that there are US breweries now competing on equal footing with their older European rivals. If you think they're not even now, then you're behind the times. Maybe only 15 years behind, but still you're out of date.

New Rules: Dark Bottles only. Especially for lighter stuff. Period.
Refridgerate every single second until it reaches the customer's hand. Again, especially for lighter stuff. I was disappointed to discover even Merchant du Vin (sp.) doesn't do this.

I also am not a big fan of Sam Adams....Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout is excellent. If you want a porter you should try their Taddyporter.. For Porters I like Anchor, Stone smoked porter and Alaskan smoked Porter. For stouts I like Sierra Nevada, Anderson valley oatmeal stout...I like rouge imperial stout....amongst others.....

Endymion

Hennessy and coke on the rocks

karlhenning

toledobass

JoshLilly

"Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout is excellent. If you want a porter you should try their Taddyporter.. For Porters I like Anchor, Stone smoked porter and Alaskan smoked Porter. For stouts I like Sierra Nevada, Anderson valley oatmeal stout...I like rouge imperial stout....amongst others....."

I like your taste! Sam Smith's Taddy Porter is indeed exceptional, as is most everything they make (I think they are my favourite brewery, all told). Anchor is great also, as is Stone's stuff. Rogue too... but you've given me a new one. Anderson Valley Oatmeal is not known to me. I'm on the lookout. Thanks!

bhodges

Quote from: Robert on April 16, 2007, 09:49:57 PM
Bruce,
You Devil, I never knew you were into craft beers......You have Brooklyn brewing there. Have you tried their chocolate stout?

;D  Oh yes, love good, interesting and unusual beers.  I do like Brooklyn's products, especially their India Pale Ale and Lager, but have not tried the chocolate stout -- not for any particular reason, just haven't gotten around to it -- although generally I like ales slightly more than stouts.  But I have met very few beers I didn't like (except "light" beers, which I don't hate -- I just think they're a waste of time). 

--Bruce

E d o

Brooklyn makes some fine beers especially their Saison, IPA & Wheat offerings but be aware that the bottled products, save for the new No.1 (Belgian style Golden Ale) in the big corked bottle are made in Utica and not Brooklyn. IMO they are not as good so go for the draft products.

bhodges

Quote from: E d o on April 17, 2007, 06:50:48 AM
Brooklyn makes some fine beers especially their Saison, IPA & Wheat offerings but be aware that the bottled products, save for the new No.1 (Belgian style Golden Ale) in the big corked bottle are made in Utica and not Brooklyn. IMO they are not as good so go for the draft products.

I always try to seek out draft beers.  Once you get hooked on them, anything in a bottle seems like a second choice.  One of my favorite places in NYC (aside from Friday or Saturday nights, when it's a zoo) is The Ginger Man, on East 36th Street.  They have almost 70 beers on tap!  I first tasted a pumpkin ale there (very good), as well as a blueberry-flavored beer (OK, but not as "blueberry" as I expected).  Their selection is usually pretty amazing. 

The Ginger Man

--Bruce

Robert

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 17, 2007, 05:29:55 AM
"Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout is excellent. If you want a porter you should try their Taddyporter.. For Porters I like Anchor, Stone smoked porter and Alaskan smoked Porter. For stouts I like Sierra Nevada, Anderson valley oatmeal stout...I like rouge imperial stout....amongst others....."

I like your taste! Sam Smith's Taddy Porter is indeed exceptional, as is most everything they make (I think they are my favourite brewery, all told). Anchor is great also, as is Stone's stuff. Rogue too... but you've given me a new one. Anderson Valley Oatmeal is not known to me. I'm on the lookout. Thanks!

Josh I believe only west coast for Anderson Valley. I know my brother who lives in Florida could not find it there.....worth seeking out......You can find out about them and many other breweries at www.beeradvocate.com......

Robert

Quote from: E d o on April 17, 2007, 06:50:48 AM

I have never had any of their beers.  Just what I read about.......They don't distribute out here in the west.....I read alot about Garrett Oliver there brewmaster....

Robert

Quote from: bhodges on April 17, 2007, 06:57:40 AM
I always try to seek out draft beers.  Once you get hooked on them, anything in a bottle seems like a second choice.  One of my favorite places in NYC (aside from Friday or Saturday nights, when it's a zoo) is The Ginger Man, on East 36th Street.  They have almost 70 beers on tap!  I first tasted a pumpkin ale there (very good), as well as a blueberry-flavored beer (OK, but not as "blueberry" as I expected).  Their selection is usually pretty amazing. 

The Ginger Man

--Bruce
Bruce
My brother sent me an article about them in the New York times about two months ago....We are lucky out here in the west coast to have Yardhouses...They have 120 beers on tap......salute'