What are you drinking?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2018, 03:41:46 AM
Am I?  I don't feel like it . . .

Thread Duty:

(Not this morning, obviously) Local (to New England), a Maine craft distillery.  The seasoning is most enjoyable.  I am taking it on faith that this is entirely different to however Capt Morgan is spiced, because I know I have had Capt Morgan in the past, and I have no recollection of the flavor.

Seriously, try that Mountanos Brothers. For me it puts pretty much all other coffees to shame, except one I had in Ireland recently and forgot the name of.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

NikF

Late lunch, post gym, so protein is good. It'll be in the form of about 50g or so of St. Andrew's Farmouse Cheddar. Alongside is this, which when I lived in a big house on the *top of a hill with a beautiful girl, the roof of the brewery could just be seen if I climbed the old oak tree at the bottom of the garden.

*okay, halfway - but that doesn't sound as good.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Och aye the noo.

Not a gym day, but this morning while in the park I took advantage of it being relatively quiet and indulged myself on the parallel bars and gymnastic rings  I probably overdid it a little, resulting in a sweat. So, a cold beer will go along nicely with my roast beef, spinach and tomato sandwich picked up during the walk home.

e: An' up yir kilt wi' a blawlamp.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

This is produced at a facility owned by Whyte & Mackay (or more exactly, by whoever owns Whyte & Mackay nowadays) and as such comes from the same place as the only Speyside single malt currently produced by them, the Tamnavulin 12yo. It seems the Internet strongly hints at it being the same whisky. I disagree. My opinion is based only on familiarity with the Tamnavulin 12yo and nothing more. If pushed I'd say this is certainly related to that single malt, albeit a variant with the often (and safely) vague characteristic of no age statement. Want a blog type description? - no chance, whistle for it. But feel free to have this instead -
Tamnavulin 12yo - Ava Gardner
Ben Bracken Speyside - Gloria Grahame

Omicron9

Fair Trade organic green tea.  Again.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

greg

It's not best in taste (kinda average), but it's a local beer that is apparently inspired by a bartender in the 50's. I found it quite amusing.  ;D

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

LKB

Glaceau vitamin water, in prep for singing Carmina Burana in about an hour.

>:D,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Ken B

Quote from: LKB on March 17, 2019, 01:54:31 PM
Glaceau vitamin water, in prep for singing Carmina Burana in about an hour.

>:D,

LKB
I sing that at concerts too. Last time they were playing Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto.

LKB

Quote from: Ken B on March 17, 2019, 03:06:58 PM
I sing that at concerts too. Last time they were playing Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto.

Ok, l had that coming.  :P

Anyway it went fairly well. Tomorrow we start rehearsing Brahms' Deutsches Requiem, which I've been waiting for over forty years to perform. I am excited!

8)

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Ken B

Quote from: LKB on March 17, 2019, 08:39:00 PM
Ok, l had that coming.  :P

Anyway it went fairly well. Tomorrow we start rehearsing Brahms' Deutsches Requiem, which I've been waiting for over forty years to perform. I am excited!

8)

LKB

O! Fortuna(te)!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Today (St. Patrick's Day):

Guinness!!! (My great-grandfather worked for them and I am mostly Irish)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Ken B

George Dickel #12 Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky

A good bourbon. It is 45%, and has a distinct but not rough burn. Smooth, not sweet. Mid price, cheaper than Jack Daniels. Better too IMO.

Mirror Image

Some Ocean Spray Cran-Grape at the moment. This, apple juice, water, and coffee seem to be my go-to beverages for the past couple of years. I'll occasionally have some hot tea or sweet iced tea (I am a Southerner you know). :)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Newcastle brown ale. A relief from the IPA's that have become ubiquitous. Nominally from the UK, I wonder if the version they sell in the states is at all authentic.

San Antone

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2018, 08:43:47 PM
I'm nuts about it. It has changed my life.  0:)
  Actually, we have a Costco in my town. Probably mostly same stuff as in yours...
  Surprising! I wonder how Kentucky managed to swing that? I can see how real champaigne must come from a specific region of France because of soil, grapes, etc., but what about Tennessee (or Bolivia) would make it inconducive to distillation of mash?

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Bourbon can be made anywhere in US, but 95% is from Kentucky.

From what I've been told, the original corn whiskey was produced in Bourbon County, Kentucky and soon all corn mash whiskey was called Bourbon.  While it is true bourbon can be distilled in any place, it must be made from majority corn mash.  Kentucky has pride of place because of its historical association with being the first.

Quote from: Ken B on April 08, 2019, 03:19:37 PM
George Dickel #12 Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky

A good bourbon. It is 45%, and has a distinct but not rough burn. Smooth, not sweet. Mid price, cheaper than Jack Daniels. Better too IMO.

Yes, Dickel is much better than Jack Daniels, neat.  Merle Haggard's favorite.  My current favorite bourbons are Blanton's and Eagle Rare - but they are getting to be hard to find.  On my shelf tonight I have a bottle of Blanton's I only drink when I have a guest who likes bourbon; Michters, Weller Special Edition, Bulliet and Knob Creek.

Recently I had some McKenna's which was excellent.

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on April 08, 2019, 06:24:38 PM
From what I've been told, the original corn whiskey was produced in Bourbon County, Kentucky and soon all corn mash whiskey was called Bourbon.  While it is true bourbon can be distilled in any place, it must be made from majority corn mash.  Kentucky has pride of place because of its historical association with being the first.

Yes, Dickel is much better than Jack Daniels, neat.  Merle Haggard's favorite.  My current favorite bourbons are Blanton's and Eagle Rare - but they are getting to be hard to find.  On my shelf tonight I have a bottle of Blanton's I only drink when I have a guest who likes bourbon; Michters, Weller Special Edition, Bulliet and Knob Creek.

Recently I had some McKenna's which was excellent.

I gave my brother Eagle Rare for Christmas. I quite like it. I also like Weller a lot. Knob Creek I find a bit harsh, but Bulliet is good. Those are all pricier than Dickel though, especially Eagle Rare. Never had Blanton's or Michters.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker. I started with the obvious, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam, which I found basically undrinkable. Recently got Makers Mark, which I find much better.

Ken B

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 08, 2019, 07:46:49 PM
I'm not much of a bourbon drinker. I started with the obvious, Jack Daniels and Jim Beam, which I found basically undrinkable. Recently got Makers Mark, which I find much better.
Regular Beam is a poor bourbon for sure, and you can do much better than Jack. JD has some special editions named after their historic distillers that are quite good though. Avoid Wild Turkey.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

The other cheap whisky I liked was Canadian Club 100% Rye.  It came in a bottle with a green label. Only found it in Canada, not in the states.