Author Topic: What are you drinking?  (Read 100736 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: What are you drinking?
« Reply #780 on: May 24, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
While perusing the Scotch aisle at Total Wine I noticed two possible trends.

First, perhaps as an inevitable pendulum swing from wine cask maturation, a few whiskies now label themselves "first fill" or "virgin". Deanston did this some time ago, but now others are proud to announce they are using pristine unused casks. (At the moment, I have before me Glenlivet First Fill 12 year old, price about $7 higher than its standard 12 year old, but not much difference in taste that I can tell.)

Second, a number of whiskies now conspicuously label themselves "single grain". I don't remember seeing any such before yesterday.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

« Reply #781 on: May 24, 2019, 05:20:52 PM »
While perusing the Scotch aisle at Total Wine I noticed two possible trends.

First, perhaps as an inevitable pendulum swing from wine cask maturation, a few whiskies now label themselves "first fill" or "virgin". Deanston did this some time ago, but now others are proud to announce they are using pristine unused casks. (At the moment, I have before me Glenlivet First Fill 12 year old, price about $7 higher than its standard 12 year old, but not much difference in taste that I can tell.)

Second, a number of whiskies now conspicuously label themselves "single grain". I don't remember seeing any such before yesterday.

Yeah, single grain is cheaper to produce, but for many consumers the magic word 'Single' still means only one single grain when it really refers to a single distillery. But they can be enjoyed for what they are and are also a way for whisky drinkers to get an older bottle for less than the price of a single malt of similar vintage. Broadly speaking I've found most single grains to have far more in common with a Highland than something like an Islay, but with a robustness to their character(s).

There's a lot doing the rounds from what was once the biggest distillery in Scotland -

And this is one I tasted most recently, but I can't find it on Amazon -

Trivia: I had an apartment in the converted offices and headquarters of that distillery. It was about the width of a two lane road away and at all times the production of the whisky heavily flavoured the air of the surrounding area.

Anyway, I'm sure that Glenlivet is a pleasure and I hope you enjoy it.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:24:58 PM by NikF4 »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #782 on: May 24, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »
Yeah, single grain is cheaper to produce, but for many consumers the magic word 'Single' still means only one single grain when it really refers to a single distillery. But they can be enjoyed for what they are and are also a way for whisky drinkers to get an older bottle for less than the price of a single malt of similar vintage. Broadly speaking I've found most single grains to have far more in common with a Highland than something like an Islay, but with a robustness to their character(s).

There's a lot doing the rounds from what was once the biggest distillery in Scotland -

And this is one I tasted most recently, but I can't find it on Amazon -

Trivia: I had an apartment in the converted offices and headquarters of that distillery. It was about the width of a two lane road away and at all times the production of the whisky heavily flavoured the air of the surrounding area.

Anyway, I'm sure that Glenlivet is a pleasure and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers! And good to see you around!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

« Reply #783 on: May 24, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
Cheers! And good to see you around!

Thanks, good to see you too. And this is just a short visit after returning north for a concert last week. I meant to leave soon after, but a few days of enjoying an unplanned rest has been great.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #784 on: May 26, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
I have found that Ocean Spray's Cranberry/Pomegranate drink is a great mixer with vodka. If it's not that with Tito's Vodka, then it's Frangelico straight, room-temp. Or Lagunitas IPA. These have been my quarentined-beverages of choice.

Offline Dowder

• Currently Listening to:
    All the good stuff
« Reply #785 on: May 26, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
Moscow Mule, a refreshing summer beverage.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline stingo

• Veteran member
« Reply #786 on: June 27, 2020, 07:24:58 PM »
A very nice crowler of Maine King Titus Porter, 7.5% ABV while listening to Andrea von Kampen and then Kate Rusby.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #787 on: October 13, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
At the risk derailing the alcoholic theme presently current here ( nothing against alcoholic beverages mind you, JD and l are frequent companions ), just now I'm enjoying the amazingly good coffee offered by my favorite coffee shop.

Floating,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #788 on: October 14, 2020, 07:48:58 AM »
I enjoy a beer, either Stella or Staropramen (not only good music comes out of Prague) mid afternoon and usually while logged into GMG - which would explain the odd inane comment! It has grown into a habit so to be put on a course of antibiotics (no alcohol) for a bad tooth was a bit of a blow. For the very first time I sampled non-alcohol beer which had interesting results. Two, one a larger, the other a beer, were truly horrible with an aftertaste that made me shudder, but hit on Heineken which is actually not bad and I was able to pretend I was drinking the real thing.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #789 on: October 14, 2020, 08:00:42 AM »
I enjoy a beer, either Stella or Staropramen (not only good music comes out of Prague) mid afternoon and usually while logged into GMG - which would explain the odd inane comment!

My favorite Staropramen is the dark one.

My beer of choice is this Romanian one:

I don't like beer during winter, though, so in two weeks time I'll probably quit drinking beer until next Spring.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:04:29 AM by Florestan »
“Play Mozart in memory of me --- and I will hear you.” — Chopin

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »
Probably my new favorite beer of all time.

It's a very traditional English style brown ale, a la Newcastle, but with a few added ghost chile peppers which gives it a somewhat spicy lingering aftertaste. Diabolically delicious!

By the way, my music collection is obscured by the can and glass, but above the glass people who have the "Complete Thelonious Monk Prestige Recordings" box set may be able to spot it...

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #791 on: October 15, 2020, 01:04:23 AM »
My favorite Staropramen is the dark one.

My beer of choice is this Romanian one:

I don't like beer during winter, though, so in two weeks time I'll probably quit drinking beer until next Spring.

Unfortunately doubt if either available in my neck of the woods.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline stingo

• Veteran member
« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
Surly Brewing's Damien, Child of Darkness Black IPA. 6.5 ABV. 16oz can. Tasty!

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #793 on: October 16, 2020, 12:51:55 AM »
Surly Brewing's Damien, Child of Darkness Black IPA. 6.5 ABV. 16oz can. Tasty!

6.5 ABV. As a late friend was fond of saying "That's falling over beer". :-[

Offline André Le Nôtre

« Reply #794 on: October 16, 2020, 01:06:53 AM »
Ricard! One part Ricard to five parts cold (!!) water, plus a four or five ice cubes. Very refreshing! Did I mention it should be COLD!!!???