What are you drinking?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 13, 2007, 02:18:34 PM
Harry: never really was that fond of Hoegaarden. I'm currently drinking Chimay red, my favourite of the Belgian beers (except maybe for its sister white).

Well hey if you don't like the Grand Cru, the more there is for me, so I don't really mind my friend. ;D

sound67

Chimay? Drunkards, the whole lot of ye.  $:)

OK, I did drink a couple of "Blue"'s once, too. Didn't get much else done that day.

Czech beers I think are the best of mainstream beers, particularly Budweiser. Not to confused, of course with the watered-down American Bud.

IMHO, the best mainstream beer in the world. Pilsener Urquell, Cerovice or Staropramen I also like.

I'm not fond of many products from my home soil, but German beers, especially the local and regional beers that you won't get in supermarkets everywhere are pretty darn good.

"Schlappe Seppl" (I don't quite know how thi translates into English) is a beer from the smallish German town of Aschaffenburg (40(?) miles south of Frankfurt).

It's on the smooth side (the farther you get South in Germany, the smoother and sweeter the beer), but with plenty of character.

Lately, I've turned towards "unfiltered" beers, which are even smoother.

Once a year I'm in the UK. I survive even a bad evening's PROM with an overpriced can of Carling, a pretty good British beer.

Of ale's Newcastle Brown Ale ("The Dog") is available in Germany, too (but best from the casket), and I quite like it.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

bhodges

In Philadelphia over the weekend, I had Victory Prima Pils (on tap), a really tasty, thirst-quenching pilsner new to me.  Victory's Hop Devil is one of my faves...glad to discover another good one from this brewery.

--Bruce

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Robert on May 13, 2007, 03:44:38 PM
I love the BLUE

Heh, the blue's a little too dry for me...

Quote from: Harry on May 13, 2007, 10:40:37 PM
Well hey if you don't like the Grand Cru, the more there is for me, so I don't really mind my friend. ;D

So everyone's happy then :D

bwv 1080

St. Peters Creme Stout and Sierra Nevada Porter are my current beers of choice.

dtwilbanks

Robert

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 14, 2007, 10:55:03 AM
St. Peters Creme Stout and Sierra Nevada Porter are my current beers of choice.
Have you ever tried the Anchor porter or the Sierra Stout???

bwv 1080

Quote from: Robert on May 14, 2007, 12:03:25 PM
Have you ever tried the Anchor porter or the Sierra Stout???

Anchor Porter yes, Sierra Stout, no

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

After August-like weather in April and early May, it's turned cold here and Mrs. Rock requested comfort food for dinner. I made a Dublin Coddle but instead of drinking Guinness, we drank a German Schwarzbier (black beer): Köstritzer, one of the most famous German brews (Goethe reportedly loved it).

Enjoying it as a nightcap too  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lilas Pastia

Black beers are a special treat. My favour goes to the brown belgian 'bières spéciales'. That's the term they use to mark an alcohol content of 6% or more. Whenever I go to Belgium I'm in for a  two week drink-o-thon (2 a day, each time a different one).

Among the lighter brews, I love the 'white' ones, such as La Blanche de Bruges. This is not a single brand, but a type of beer. There are dozens and dozens of Blanche, all produced around Bruges. They are light (4-4.5%), slightly acidulous and extremely refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer day.

This is today's nectar we're having for supper  8):

toledobass

Here's a boulevardier from last night:

Cheers,

Allan

karlhenning

Iago

"Hollywood" needs a Dr. alright. But NOT Dr. Pepper. The Dr. she should look for is Dr. Brown.  Creme or Black Cherry - Even the diet versions are great.  Liquid Heaven!!
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Oh, we long since brewed the Colorado variety, Bill! Delicious it was, too!

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on June 08, 2007, 11:35:45 AM
Oh, we long since brewed the Colorado variety, Bill! Delicious it was, too!

When we hit Fraser, CO this fall for a long weekend, I will be sure to net you some more.  Earlier, a large cup of:

At 42 I have finally discovered coffee.....and am I ever enjoying it.  (Gives a shout out to David Ross.)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

sound67

Tried two white wines yesterday, both from South Africa.

Superb value for money is the Neil Ellis 2006 Groenekloof Sauvignon Blanc.

About 11-12 Euro per bottle, of medium body, with fairly noticeable gooseberry flavor and lively but well-integrated acid.

More "controversial" IMHO is the more expensive Meerlust 2005 Chardonnay, priced at round 17-19 Euro.

Like so many of its kind, this Chardonnay has strong overtones of resin, which can really be a matter of love or hate. Strong and characterful, but defnitely less "accessible".

Thomas

"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

bhodges

South African wines are among the best around, and Meerlust is an excellent label.  If you like reds, you might try the Merlot or Rubicon, both delicious.  I haven't had Neil Ellis, but have had many others (mostly reds) and virtually all have been quite good.

--Bruce