What are you drinking?

Started by toledobass, April 07, 2007, 11:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2022, 10:04:49 AM
Honouring aligreto's return

Indigenous Romanian, red, semi-sweet, DOC, full mature.

Fetească Neagră translates (literally) as Girlish Black yet it's a wine for gentlemen.

Here's to you, Fergus, and to all GMGers!

Cheers, Andrei.

As we say in Irish, Sláinte [literally means Health; in this context meaning Good Health to You].

I am currently drinking une vielle vigne Française, a Carignan grape, which is exceedingly good. I have enjoyed the fruit of the Carignan grape for a number of years now. It is definitely worth investigating.

You may remember that I had spoken to you privately some time ago about a locally sourced Romanian Pinot Noir here in Dublin which I had acquired a taste for. Well I am pleased to inform you that it has now become a favourite with my daughter. No pressure whatsoever was applied. She simply sampled it and also enjoyed it.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2022, 02:28:51 PM
Cheers, Andrei.

As we say in Irish, Sláinte [literally means Health; in this context meaning Good Health to You].

I am currently drinking une vielle vigne Française, a Carignan grape, which is exceedingly good. I have enjoyed the fruit of the Carignan grape for a number of years now. It is definitely worth investigating.

You may remember that I had spoken to you privately some time ago about a locally sourced Romanian Pinot Noir here in Dublin which I had acquired a taste for. Well I am pleased to inform you that it has now become a favourite with my daughter. No pressure whatsoever was applied. She simply sampled it and also enjoyed it.  ;D

I'm delighted to hear that, Fergus! There are some really good Pinot Noir vineyards in Romania.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on June 18, 2022, 11:43:32 PM
I'm delighted to hear that, Fergus! There are some really good Pinot Noir vineyards in Romania.

Does Viile Timisului make any sense to you?

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on June 19, 2022, 07:43:13 AM
Does Viile Timisului make any sense to you?

Yes. You probably mean one of these two:

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

aligreto

This is the particular wine Andrei....

And this is the blurb....

QuoteVineyards were first planted in Romania by the Romans so there is an ancient winemaking history here. Careful vineyard practices & modern wine making are at the heart of this wine. Wildflower is a forthrightly modern, fruit-driven Pinot Noir, raspberry, and strawberry notes, silky smooth with soft tannin and a refreshing finish.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on June 19, 2022, 01:25:17 PM
This is the particular wine Andrei....

And this is the blurb....

Thanks. I'll try it.

The blurb is not entirely correct. Long before the Roman conquest the Dacians had vineyards. According to Strabo, they were such heavy drinkers, especially because of the Dionysos cult, that one of their leaders ordered all vineyards to be destroyed and prohibited the plantation of new ones.  :D

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on June 19, 2022, 11:33:06 PM
Thanks. I'll try it.

The blurb is not entirely correct. Long before the Roman conquest the Dacians had vineyards. According to Strabo, they were such heavy drinkers, especially because of the Dionysos cult, that one of their leaders ordered all vineyards to be destroyed and prohibited the plantation of new ones.  :D

Very tough on those poor wine drinkers!  ;D

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on June 22, 2022, 01:37:42 AM
Very tough on those poor wine drinkers!  ;D

Indeed, l wonder how they drowned their sorrows...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

LKB

Karl Henning

Our brewery here in Woburn, Wonder of the North.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Trying again. Local brewery (this was last night, of course, not this morning.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Red wine from my own vineyard. Here's to you, all fellow GMGers!

Irons

Enjoyed three pints of Harveys Best Bitter in the pub with my son yesterday.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Found a new favorite way to prepare coffee at home. The aeropress.

It makes an espresso strength coffee, and when I want a coffee with more volume I make a double espresso add an equal amount of hot water after pressing. Result is very smooth and rich.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2022, 12:51:28 PMRed wine from my own vineyard. Here's to you, all fellow GMGers!

Salud!

I'm also back to red wine ( not Florestan's, unfortunately ), for the foreseeable future. Two reasons:

1) My favorite whiskey is around $15 for a 750 ml bottle. The wine I prefer is $5 for the same volume, and has even won awards in competition.

2) My whiskey tolerance increased enough this year to concern me a bit.

Long years ago, l discovered " decadence on a budget ", which combines the following:

A) A hot bath
B) Wine and cheese
C) A favorite book
D) A partner ( optional )

That's my plan for tonight.  8)

Irons

Quote from: LKB on November 27, 2022, 07:16:01 AMSalud!

I'm also back to red wine ( not Florestan's, unfortunately ), for the foreseeable future. Two reasons:

1) My favorite whiskey is around $15 for a 750 ml bottle. The wine I prefer is $5 for the same volume, and has even won awards in competition.

2) My whiskey tolerance increased enough this year to concern me a bit.

Long years ago, l discovered " decadence on a budget ", which combines the following:

A) A hot bath
B) Wine and cheese
C) A favorite book
D) A partner ( optional )

That's my plan for tonight.  8)

I have a problem with whisky, when I drink in the evening (any other time you have a problem) I can't sleep. Which is annoying as it is the best alcoholic drink of all.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Celebrating my name day: Feast of St. Andrew (Sfântul Andrei), patron saint of Romania.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2022, 01:08:03 AM

Celebrating my name day: Feast of St. Andrew (Sfântul Andrei), patron saint of Romania.

Cheers, Andrei !  ;D
Olivier